Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California is here and we love it!!

Well today has been a horrible experience. VW have changed their mind on the valuation on our Volvo again. They keep dropping it every time I talk to them. I've had to discuss pulling out of the deal. They have been absolutely horrendous! They have never returned calls and they are totally going back on their word!
That is very poor customer service from the franchisee, I'm not sure that VW are the right people to blame in this instance.

Once a trade-in sale is agreed, and deposit paid, you should have a contract, and unless there is a material change in the condition of the trade-in vehicle, such as damage, the dealer should honour the contract.

I have to say that I have always been sceptical about trade-in deals. It seems to me that a cash purchase, or privately financed purchase, and private sale of previous vehicle is the cheapest way to buy a car as you have a stronger negotiating position. But that is easy for someone to say if they have the access to the funds or private finance.

They have knocked us down by £2000 so to just go and find that extra isn't easy for us when we have a wedding to pay for this year. I don't have that cash down the side of the sofa!

I didn't know about Botley. I will have a look into that. I'm sure we will get it sorted. It's just yet another totally rubbish experience with a dealership despite spending a hell of a lot of money

I feel your pain. We lost £1400 on our Merc, and that was with our dealer actually giving the best price. Would have lost more with WBAC, and judging by what was on Auto Trader at the time, a similar amount if selling privately.

It made for a bitter pill to swallow, but now the Cali is parked up outside and we've had adventures in it already, and with many more to come, it's all worth it now.

I don't know how you've financed your Volvo, but if you're on PCP one option might be a voluntary termination (VT)? One dealer suggested this to us. It can affect your credit file but you basically hand back the car with no financial penalty - but there's various conditions to do with how much of the value of the vehicle you've already paid back. Should say in your documentation. Not saying this is a great option, far from it, but just one possible option to consider if all other avenues have you losing substantial amounts of money. We couldn't do it as we hadn't paid enough off on the finance - that's our fault for getting impatient for a Cali and wanting to switch under 3 years into a 4 year deal!

Well our California has arrived at the dealer today! Hopefully we will be able to pick it up next week. We are just in negotiation on the trade in value for our Volvo XC60. I will put some pictures up when it arrives.
Have you done a WeBuyAnyCar online price for your car?
I did on my last car change & found they were quoting more than the Dealer who then put his trade price up when I quoted the WBAC price.
If you've screwed a big discount on the Cali he won't have much room to give a top partex rate.
I'm planning to try Tootle which is Trade only selling method when I get my Cali.
Traders make you an offer, pick the best, they pay & collect.
Declare any defects when listing.

I feel your pain. We lost £1400 on our Merc, and that was with our dealer actually giving the best price. Would have lost more with WBAC, and judging by what was on Auto Trader at the time, a similar amount if selling privately.

It made for a bitter pill to swallow, but now the Cali is parked up outside and we've had adventures in it already, and with many more to come, it's all worth it now.

I don't know how you've financed your Volvo, but if you're on PCP one option might be a voluntary termination (VT)? One dealer suggested this to us. It can affect your credit file but you basically hand back the car with no financial penalty - but there's various conditions to do with how much of the value of the vehicle you've already paid back. Should say in your documentation. Not saying this is a great option, far from it, but just one possible option to consider if all other avenues have you losing substantial amounts of money. We couldn't do it as we hadn't paid enough off on the finance - that's our fault for getting impatient for a Cali and wanting to switch under 3 years into a 4 year deal!

We did this a couple of months ago when swapping for the Cali. Stood to lose an unreasonable amount of money as they'd massively overestimated the future value (final payment) so the car was already worth less than they said it would be a year from then. Don't feel bad about breaking a contract under those circumstances.

Doesn't create a negative record on your credit file as it's a consumer right but it is noted. Allegedly some car finance companies can frown upon it in future but I think big savings outweigh a hypothetical frown!

Well I spent the day today driving round dealers and also visited wewantanycar and managed to sell the car to Volvo Southampton. So we should be back on track again hopefully.

One word of caution I've heard about voluntary termination of finance is that people have been refused finance for other cars afterwards. It's not something I'd dare attempt unless in serious difficulties. I admit that is only from other people's experiences quoted on other forums, so maybe there have been other underlying issues with the subsequent finance rejection.

Anyway here she is awaiting PDI
IMG_0023.jpg

Oh and is this anybody's on here? Looked great. Unfortunately didn't get a great picture.
IMG_0020.jpg

We've been looking at Cali's and conversions for a while now. We spoke to a couple of different dealers over the past couple of weeks and, today, took a trip today to Guildford VW Van Centre. Spoke to Peter Minchin who was excellent and got us the deal we were looking for.

We've gone for Blackberry 150 DSG with a couple of options. We are so so excited! It's even going to be used for our honeymoon in September 2017. Hopefully it arrives before the tax changes in April.

Now what goodies can we buy for it!!
Congratulations on your forthcoing wedding and congratulations on your forthcoming Cali. What a lovely honeymoon idea. You are both going to have such a great time. I hope you have many lovely adventures in your new Cali in the years to come.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your forthcoing wedding and congratulations on your forthcoming Cali. What a lovely honeymoon idea. You are both going to have such a great time. I hope you have many lovely adventures in your new Cali in the years to come.

Thank you so much! Very kind.

Well I spent the day today driving round dealers and also visited wewantanycar and managed to sell the car to Volvo Southampton. So we should be back on track again hopefully.

One word of caution I've heard about voluntary termination of finance is that people have been refused finance for other cars afterwards. It's not something I'd dare attempt unless in serious difficulties. I admit that is only from other people's experiences quoted on other forums, so maybe there have been other underlying issues with the subsequent finance rejection.

Anyway here she is awaiting PDI
IMG_0023.jpg

Oh and is this anybody's on here? Looked great. Unfortunately didn't get a great picture.
IMG_0020.jpg

Wow, your new Cali looks lush :thumb Well done!

And I’m liking the two-tone one as well...

Anyways, like Borris said, congrats on the new wedding, and what a fantastic wedding present and honeymoon vehicle, you will have a blast with memories to last a lifetime :)

Very pleased for you that you finally got the Volvo sorted, within a few days of your Cali ownership all that stress will be forgotten, you have a very happy year (and many more) ahead of you, congratulations!!

Congratulations on your purchase. I have just been told that our Cali has gone to coded 20 and will be built week 6, so should receive it week 10. We ordered back in October, so it's taken a while. I don't think you will get yours before April, but you never know. The wait is quite exciting in itself. I never thought I would become a nerd, but it seems to be happening, as the time approaches. I keep making wish lists of places to go, festivals to attend, odd things to buy for the van ( sorry, I meant Cali, not a van at all), even dreaming up names. It is all a worry, to those around me.

Congratulations on your purchase. I have just been told that our Cali has gone to coded 20 and will be built week 6, so should receive it week 10. We ordered back in October, so it's taken a while. I don't think you will get yours before April, but you never know. The wait is quite exciting in itself. I never thought I would become a nerd, but it seems to be happening, as the time approaches. I keep making wish lists of places to go, festivals to attend, odd things to buy for the van ( sorry, I meant Cali, not a van at all), even dreaming up names. It is all a worry, to those around me.

Ours is in the UK at dealer awaiting collection on Thursday all being well. I know exactly how you feel. There was very much a campervan theme to my Christmas presents this year

If anybody has more pics of this Cali and details of the wrap cost (I assume its been wrapped), I would love to see them.

It's definitely a wrap and a very good one at that. Unfortunately I didn't get any better pictures as I was having a bit of a stand off with the dealer at the time regarding the part exchange value but I'll ask some more questions if I remember when I collect ours on Thursday.

Hi John, how long was your van in status 10? and was your unconfirmed build date always around week 6? I only ask in the hope that my order miraculously changes from unconfirmed build week 15 to week 6. How did you hear? did you have to chase your dealer or do they proactively call you? Any way lucky you. perfectly timed delivery.

Congratulations on the car sale, the future wedding and that gorgeous Cali! You must be SO excited!
I had a similar experience when I went to sign the order for a brand new X Trail. The dealer went back on the offer he would give me for my Subaru and said that he hadn't agreed the figure.
One of the very few times the red mist came down. I stood up, in the middle of the showroom, ripped his order form up in front of him and threw the pieces at him! Announced in a very loud voice that I would never ever buy a car from him and warned the other customers not to either before stomping out shaking with rage.
I still can't actually believe that I behaved like that but the memory of his face still makes me chuckle.

We took delivery today. Only managed to take a quick picture after a quick evening test drive. I'm going to get the windows tinted which will transform the look but so far really, really pleased with it! We are hoping to go away for a couple of nights this weekend.

79D96912-F7F3-4D18-8D18-C2BEF5B4C2C1.jpg

Better pictures to follow once I've got it all polished and waxed!

They have knocked us down by £2000 so to just go and find that extra isn't easy for us when we have a wedding to pay for this year. I don't have that cash down the side of the sofa!

I didn't know about Botley. I will have a look into that. I'm sure we will get it sorted. It's just yet another totally rubbish experience with a dealership despite spending a hell of a lot of money

Sell it on Gumtree, you will get much more for it privately, we buy any car will rob, you stay clear if you can avoid it.

Forgot to say enjoy your van, we have had so much fun in ours, had it now almost 3 years and I can say without doubt best purchase we have made in a long time.

Congratulations ShaunG, Very nice cali. Mine arrived to Luxembourg today. I will be as happy as you are next Wednesday.
Enjoy your first night out.

Well it's been our first couple of nights away and what a test! Freezing conditions all around but it has been absolutely fantastic! We are currently on our second night just next to Wareham Forest.

We set up in the dark but as we had borrowed one before this wasn't an issue. Bentley enjoyed his first night and soon fell asleep

C5C4454F-EC4B-4F33-921A-EF02BB5D6CEF.jpg

The next morning we were greeted to still, almost eerie, frozen conditions

BF0B3544-87DB-4816-B645-6DB87FE13550.jpg

We took Bentley for a walk right next to the campsite and found that Wareham Forest is just stunning! Bentley loved every minute...

A2869220-0809-47BC-B075-447C1DB6D1ED.jpg

F9E4CC4F-A2CF-4FB9-8369-B0E6E69F4706.jpg

37688592-3AB2-4F54-BA01-C8DB98B19F6C.jpg

He's very nosey though

2E4A1CD9-4534-416D-A125-83B5AD193F00.jpg

It's early days but so far the Cali has been faultless. Very warm and we are starting to learn where each of us have put things. It takes a fair bit of teamwork but it's been brilliant. We can't wait for our next adventures. Anyway back to the beer. Cheers!

fa4946ad-34e4-440b-8f03-1367ad29ef63.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff , dogs just like to sit and enjoy the view....the king/queen of the Cali!

Fabulous - looks like you have a great time. We love Wareham Forest too - can't wait to go their when we get Cali later in the year.

Fabulous - looks like you have a great time. We love Wareham Forest too - can't wait to go their when we get Cali later in the year.

Yeah we enjoyed it so much so that we are heading back in just over a weeks time for a couple of nights. We are trying a different site this time though

Excellent. Enjoy.

PS. re. your pic of the two tone (orange/white) Cali snapped at your supplying dealer. Maybe not a wrap. I see on the VW configurator two tone paint options available (£2,394). No orange/white shown for 2017 but was maybe available in 2016?