Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire Extinguisher/Blanket

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Do these come as standard on T6. Had a search and did not finding anything and in any case probably best to see what folks are actually getting, if anything.

Mike

Normally packed away in the cupboard next to the wardrobe,

Standard extinguisher sat on the left side of the right seat ( passenger as i am LHD) i moved it in front of the seat giving a more easy acces to the rear .

I added a fire blanket , sits in the storage pocket of the front seat .
And recent a smal extinguisher model like a big hairspray can...witch a need to find a holder or a nice place to fit within handsreach in the rear.

Left hand cupboard under the gas hob right in at the back is a blanket.
Is there? I found the first aid kit and warning triangle there - but not a fire blanket. I'm going to look.

Edit. @Tink - All I have at the back of the cupboard is this

IMG_2158.JPG

This is a first aid kit and warning triangle. Did you also get a fire blanket?

I purchased a 1m x 1m fire vlanket and fixed it to the front of the bench seat next to the drawer.

IMG_2160.JPG

I am thinking of also getting a water mist extinguisher as they can be used on pretty much anything and don't leave the damage that powder, foam (or even water) does. But I'm I want to try to see one first to work out where I can mount it.

Last edited:
Is there? I found the first aid kit and warning triangle there - but not a fire blanket. I'm going to look.
I hope DM comes back as I'm fascinated to see what else is in that cupboard. I hope he hasn't fallen in

Reactions: DM
So it appears no fire blanket or extinguishers with the T6. Anyone with a T6 got these items?

Looks like Amazon research again if not.

Mike

So it appears no fire blanket or extinguishers with the T6. Anyone with a T6 got these items?

Mike
I found the fire blanket there but no first aid kit and no triangle but dealer sent these later. I don't think T6 comes with fire extinguisher in UK

I found the fire blanket there but no first aid kit and no triangle but dealer sent these later. I don't think T6 comes with fire extinguisher in UK
Thanks. Yep that sounds like the answer, different in the UK. Sounds like a no brainer to have both and to hand.

Standard extinguisher sat on the left side of the right seat ( passenger as i am LHD) i moved it in front of the seat giving a more easy acces to the rear .

I added a fire blanket , sits in the storage pocket of the front seat .
And recent a smal extinguisher model like a big hairspray can...witch a need to find a holder or a nice place to fit within handsreach in the rear.
Thanks HC looking like we are not so valuable over here of more careful with fire. The former I reckon.

I don't know anything about fire extinguishers but they are selling powdered one in Ikea and a blanket.

A fire blanket was fitted by my dealer. No idea if it is normal. A fire extinguisher sits in my drivers door pocket. I fitted it.

Highly unlikely that I would ever use either. In the case of fire I am out of the vehicle and let the insurance company sort it.

If wireing or engine catch fire indeed get out and stand aside ,
but if by incident a towl or so should light up this can be solved by a blanket .
As many other things regarding safety , hope we never need it and we probally do not...

Mike
I have a triangle and a first aid kit at the back of the cupboard and I am sure there is a fire blanket as well. The back of the cupboard is an absolutely useless location for the fire blanket, it obviously needs to be quickly accessible. Thanks for tip about fire extinguisher at ikea which Is a good idea to have one on board

I have a triangle and a first aid kit at the back of the cupboard and I am sure there is a fire blanket as well. The back of the cupboard is an absolutely useless location for the fire blanket, it obviously needs to be quickly accessible. Thanks for tip about fire extinguisher at ikea which Is a good idea to have one on board

Agree about location.

Who's going to stick their head in a cupboard with something on fire in the van.

Could. T6 owner please post a picture of the elusive fire blanket. I'm pretty sure I would have found it by now if I had one.

I've got a water mist extinguisher for the same reasons as you, (no mess if it should ever be needed). The video on YouTube is impressive. It sits in the gap between kitchen cupboard and passenger seat. Fire blanket in the seat pouch.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Agree about location.

Who's going to stick their head in a cupboard with something on fire in the van.
I was reflecting on the head in the cupboard under the fire to get the fire blanket myself. :headbang:headbang:headbang
If you can't put it out with a damp tea towel it's too big to deal with yourself.
I would only consider a CO2 extinguisher in a van fires are unlikely to be electrical in a van.

Guys, There is no need now to have a powder type extinguisher in your vehicle. Fire extinguisher technology has moved on a bit.

I have been looking at changing/upgrading all of the portable fire fighting equipment equipment on our Busfest Fire engine & other vehicles we have/use (which also includes a T5 & 2x T5/6 California's) & have found the perfect replacement.

It is the "Firetool" Portable Fire Extinguisher (info Here; https://www.firetoolsales.co.uk/collections/frontpage ). They are small & compact but pack the fire fighting punch of much bigger fire extinguishers & are aproved for liquid, gas & electrical fires but best of all they are non toxic & leave very little residue.
fp50_trim_1024x1024_6ec9e7f2-d19a-48b6-95c5-471735aac1cc_1024x1024.png

The JE50 fits very snuggly on the Cali Cooker/Sink Unit (between the passenger seat & Unit - just beneath the 240v/12v sockets, & still gives access to the inverter socket)) or could be put in loads of other locations inside the van ( ie front of drivers seat base) (53mm diameter 242 mm long). It comes with a clip/mount for attaching it to cupboards etc.

I have also got a JE100 unit for the workshop at home, this is a bit more powerful but does not have a clip mount to secure it to anything

We have bought a set of the larger (JE150) version of units for the Fire engine & they will replace all of the existing large/heavy & bulky extinguishers we used to lug about. . Our fire marshals will also have personal JE50's as they are so portable and can be carried on a belt as well as being clipped into vehicles.

This is a picture of one in the T6 Cali.

DSC02980.JPG

13015290_10204548146422078_715894306063983850_n.jpg

There is a safety ring pull on the base of the unit which has to be pulled before operation of the "press start" so there is no need to worry about inadvertantly setting it off. (it is not a pressurised unit. When you do need to press start button it sets off a rocket propellant (similar to ones in toy/model rockets) which ejects the extinguisher material.

More info & another video of it in use can be found here; http://www.firetool.co.uk/index.html

And before anybody asks, I am not a salesman or selling these things, I just like good technology that makes things better for us and our vans (& not having to lug large powder fire extinguishers around is definitely an improvement).

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks Simon just what I was looking for. I am presuming it comes with some sort of fixing to fix it in the location you suggested or did you adapt something. Excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It comes with mount & self tapping screws (but I would use locknuts & bolts to fix it to anything.) :bananadance

Back