Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire Extinguisher Location

S

Solis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
i have purchased a fire extinguisher from the Cali shop however unsure of the best location. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I keep a small fire extinguisher in the front drivers door pocket. Small enough to fit in, big enough to deal with a small emergency.

If I had a big fire needing a bigger extinguisher then I would be on my toes out of the van and ringing the Professionals.

Mine fits nicely in the pocket to the right of the drivers seat. My thinking is I want it easily accessible from inside or outside the Cali. Most likely scenario is it will be required for a BBQ gone wrong or for a problem someone else is having.

Mike

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. One further question, what size do you think is best. Having received the extinguisher, I’m thinking I may require a second as a tad small. Of course I will not be lingering but need to ensure all are safe and I’ve done what I can do.

We aslo have one in the drivers door pocket and one bolted to the back of the cupboards behind the tailgate

Put mine on the side of bench seat .

Same solution as Romke, but then ont the front side of the seat, since at the back I got this handy LED torch.
I've pulled a black sock over it, so it doesn't show-off so 'red'.

In Belgium the fire extinguischer comes as standard and was bolted to the left side of the passenger seat (right side seat ) . But i found it in the way so moved it in front of the seatframe in the footwell .
Now a really usefull box 9liter can sit nice between the front seats.
A small type extinguischer and a fire blanket sits in the rear / camperpart.

I’ve got this one, which is small and powerful and lives in the side pocket of my drivers seat. Odds better than even that if ever needed it will be for someone else and probably a BBQ gone wrong. Easily accessible from outside and in.
http://firetool.co.uk/je-50.html

Mike

In Belgium the fire extinguischer comes as standard and was bolted to the left side of the passenger seat (right side seat ) . But i found it in the way so moved it in front of the seatframe in the footwell .
Now a really usefull box 9liter can sit nice between the front seats.
A small type extinguischer and a fire blanket sits in the rear / camperpart.

Now I just did the same ! Thanks :thumb

What type of fire extinguisher is recommended? I see both the "normal" ones and the hairspray model.

What type of fire extinguisher is recommended? I see both the "normal" ones and the hairspray model.

The thing is when you use the powder one that comes with any verhicle, it ruins everything .
Therefore it's good to carry a foam extinguisher.

I fixed the bracket for my fire extinguisher to the front rail of the driver's seat base, using Allen bolts. As it's a surface that slopes downwards, it was quite tricky to drill the holes... I used to keep it in the front section of the lower door pocket, but wanted to use that for other storage.

As regards type of extinguisher, I'm thinking of getting a 'water mist' version, as my dry powder versions is coming up for replacement. Does anyone know of any downsides to these?

I just called my insurance company in another errand and also asked what they recommended. The guy then talked to his colleagues that works damage prevention and they said powder is better because then you can handle all type of fires, engine (oil), electric, plastic etc.

But I guess you could have two, a smaller one for the stove and then a proper one for everything else.

Just remember if you got a dry powder then agitate/invert it a few times now and again to break up the contents/powder...

I keep mine within the driver's door lower storage bit.
Easy to grab on a quick exit from the van. I didn't want to drill anywhere to fit it.