Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Firework explodes on Cali back window gone!

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
What can I say.... Oiks throwing fireworks, targeted the Cali. Back window has shattered...Cali not secure. Glass falling off in chunks. Vw assist unable to assist as not mechanical. Due to be on a ferry to France on Saturday....anyone know how you can get a window and get it fitted?...

Omg. That's terrible. :(

Do you have Travel Insurance? They might be able to help.

Best to get your insurance documents out. Most companies charge under £100 for window replacement with no charge on excess. Most companies will turn out an auto glazing firm, but I doubt if they would have a double glazed unit in stock if you have an SE. They will have an out of hours helpline give them a call.

BEST OF LUCK

Sorry to hear that. Get on the phone sharpish to some windscreen companies! Good luck!

Check out eBay number 281825058317, it's a california se double glazed rear window, although probably not ideal as it's used it would be available immediately, not sure if it's near where you are??? They are in bridgend.
Good luck!!

Jodith, I can't add anything to the excellent advice given, all I can say is I am so sorry you are facing this, my hopes and best wishes go with you,

Hoping to get it done on glass insurance. Auto glass seemed very unsure of the specification. Is it laminated or toughened anyone know?

VW assist coming to crash wrap it but it won't be secure so will sit in it all night

Bike rack off and sat in the middle of the sitting room. Cali back window speciality wrapped with "sticky back" by VW Assist/AA. Appointment booked tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we will make that ferry!

Zebedee..........

Auto glass seemed very unsure of the specification. Is it laminated or toughened anyone know?

Hi Zeb,

As mentioned above (and I notice you've and SE180) the rear window is double glazed... It's not a standard laminated or toughened panel... It's a SE specific part.

I'd be surprised if Autoglass have them in standard stock, hope you get it sorted.

Rgds
Mark

Not Good, hope it is sorted but getting that Cali window will be the issue I am sure.
Given the damage wonder if your bike rack was used to put firework on rather than it being thrown

Would it be possible to fit a "standard " van back window if a Cali specific part is not readily available. This would a) secure your vehicle and b) get you on the ferry. Best of luck.

Needless to say Autoglass attended the vehicle this afternoon and even after my 5 phone calls to them arrived with the WRONG glass.....what a surprise. They then stated they could not access the glass at all. I phoned our lovely friends at SMG Cowfold and ordered the glass for delivery tomorrow. Autoglass said they would fit it. Then said it needed a Level 3 technician and they don't have one.

Millions of calls to insurers, brokers, claims company etc etc and off my own bat I have found a man who can half an hour from Cowfold. Problem is I have to pick up Charlotte from Brit School at 1.30 and the car can't be driven for 2 hours after it is done and we are needing to be at ferry at 6....

AAagghhhhhhAAagghhhhhh

Sounds like a rental car is needed! What a stressful start to the holiday. I wish I could help more than to wish you luck!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If you stopped using your Cali to go on holiday you may find you will no longer suffer what is known as
' Exploding Glass Syndrome ' (EGS) which can lead to owners suffering from delusions, such as there are people capable of effective organised repairs when it is clearly a case of if you want something done correctly you have to do it yourself.

I believe that you have suffered from 'EGS' before when your glass fridge lid exploded on the first of your holiday which led you to believe that this had happened to other owners but VW stated that this was a delusion and you were the first person to have this happen, this l remember was compounded by the delusion that lt would be covered by warranty.

As a fellow previous sufferer myself of 'EGS' with an exploding fridge lid, l suffered simlar delusions.This was cured by suggesting that it was VW that were in fact deluded as it had happened to other owners previously and it should be repaired under warranty, which it was!

How did you get on with VW with your fridge EGS, warranty or a hole in the wallet?

Well Susibus, guess what I had to pay for the fridge lid, and guess what....I am paying out again.....for the back window. I have no proof it was the fireworks that the youths were setting off in the street that made the window go but there were very big bangs.

Hoping to make it to the ferry tomorrow even if I have the window in the box in the Cali and have to get it fitted in France! I have been told the window could fall out at any time if the I shut the doors etc because of the air pressure etc.

Your picture gave us great amusement in the Zebedee household!

If you need to close your doors soon after fitting new glass, wind down front windows, close doors then wind windows up again. this will prevent pressure increase within the vehicle.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Judith

I have just tried to pm you my number but cannot because of a forum glitch.

I can be at Cowfold tomorrow if you need any help with having to collect Charlotte and see also to repairs. Email me via my website address for my number if you need it.

Zebedee

Can't believe they made you pay for the replacement of the fridge lid.

I think there's a message here to any members, if your fridge lid explodes, you're not the first owner to experience this rather terrifying happening, there are others on the forum who have reported it happening.

If still under warranty, VW should replace it.

Ours was diagnosed as being caused by misalignment of the gas strut where it fixes to the wardrobe unit. They even talked about changing the complete wardrobe unit, luckily that did't happen, God knows what problems that could have led to.

If you need to close your doors soon after fitting new glass, wind down front windows, close doors then wind windows up again. this will prevent pressure increase within the vehicle.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Perhaps the club could make a "bungee" type device similar to the "bellows bungee" to help with this problem.

But on a more serious note "O, we've never seen that before" seems to be Vw and their dealers default setting when anything gets taken back under warranty even if the problem is well documented on this and other forums, heads up their collective @holes! Perhaps the bashing they are getting over the emissions scandal will make them appreciate their customers a little bit more, but I doubt it!

Zeb
Well Susibus, guess what I had to pay for the fridge lid, and guess what....I am paying out again.....for the back window. I have no proof it was the fireworks that the youths were setting off in the street that made the window go but there were very big bangs.

Hoping to make it to the ferry tomorrow even if I have the window in the box in the Cali and have to get it fitted in France! I have been told the window could fall out at any time if the I shut the doors etc because of the air pressure etc.

Your picture gave us great amusement in the Zebedee household!

Hi Zebedee. So sorry to have read about your glass trouble. Did the glass get fixed? More importantly did you manage to have a good holiday?

Back