Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Breakdown

Goss

Goss

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Pulling away from the lights and clutch makes a bad noise then no drive. If I let the clutch out the vehicle is trying to move but there is no chance, nasty grumbling noise so best left alone. Oh well, first breakdown in 41 years of driving so can’t complain. Just happy that it’s on my way home from work, guessing the repair bill will change my upbeat mood though.

Goss

CLC in Upper Beeding might be worth call, ex VW Commercial technician and good prices.

sounds expensive to me

If its a driveshaft its about 750 quid at a Vw depot.

Agreed, the sudden loss is more driveshaft than clutch but wondering why the driveshaft design allows this to happen? It’s in VW Cowfold now so hope to have it back soon.:(
Its a wearing part, and its made by Vw :)
how many miles has your van done?

47,500 mile, the van is based in a commercial vehicle so you would expect these parts to last at least 100K.
Normally it should last longer, maybe its something else.

Wow, first breakdown in 41 years... you obviously never owned any British cars back in the 80s then?

Bad luck on the Cali anyway.
:DHillman Avenger with 100K was my first car, Mk2, Mk3 Cortina, TR7, HA and Bedford/Astra vans, 2 Audi 80‘s, Manta Brelinetta, Sierra‘s, Ford Granada’s, BMW’s, Rover 418 and 620 then from 97 on only Jags with 5 new Ford Transits, Mk4 to Mk8. All great cars for me and only replaced brake callipers, discs and pads on these. Interestingly I did 182,000 on an 4.0 XJ40 and apart from consumable parts and a couple of suspension bushes that was all that was replaced, S Type Jag went to 136K with the same as the XJ!
The 5 transits were amazing, easy 100K each with only servicing.
I now understand why VW are so successful/profitable...:confused:

Looks nasty.....
Looks worse than it is.

Just some pricey parts and labour.
I needed a new drive shaft part on the gearbox (the broken toothed rusty part in the bottom picture), and the first part of the drive shaft to the right wheel (the part that has lost it's teeth in the top picture).

And this is right before you break down with it (litteraly, you can't drive anymore!!!)

And this is right before you break down with it (litteraly, you can't drive anymore!!!)
Best of luck with it, looks like a poor design if it's common enough to have a Youtube video.

My Triumph Spitfires clutch went one Friday, spent the Saturday fitting new one, Sunday took it for test drive round the block and the front wheel fell off!
Nice easy job when done from inside, i always found the worst bit was removing and replacing the transmission tunnel with the fiddley screws and plates. I got the whole clutch replacement time down to under 1.5 hours.

Why did the wheel fall off?

CLC in Upper Beeding might be worth call, ex VW Commercial technician and good prices.
SMG 2 week lead time And trying to fit the work in and CLC 4 week lead time heard nothing since dropping her off yesterday.

Goss

VWGURU said some time back that the grease used by VW dries out, quickly, and not to use it.
Use a commercially available grease for driveshafts.

I recall saying that all Cali owners should get their driveshafts greased at the next service and repeat every couple of years or sooner if high mileages done.

The problem doesn't apply to DSG ones.