Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First outing but no heating

T

Tracy5447

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi
I have just bought a 2009 Cali se and we have taken It out for a few days break. We arrived on a campsite last night and got set up but we couldn’t get the auxiliary heater to work. We have done it two ways by pressing the heater button and selecting temp then pushing the heater button and it turned yellow but no heat no noise just nothing. Then we selected aux heating with the dial and done it that way and again nothing. We have deleted any programs that were on it and made sure the tick was next to switch on on the control panel. We have also reset it. We have watched various you tube videos and nothing has worked. When we bought it 2 days ago the man showed us how to switch it on and it worked.
We are camping in Scotland and are freezing! We are currently sitting in a car park trying to fix the problem as I couldn’t stand another cold night like last night. Can anyone help please?

Hi
I have just bought a 2009 Cali se and we have taken It out for a few days break. We arrived on a campsite last night and got set up but we couldn’t get the auxiliary heater to work. We have done it two ways by pressing the heater button and selecting temp then pushing the heater button and it turned yellow but no heat no noise just nothing. Then we selected aux heating with the dial and done it that way and again nothing. We have deleted any programs that were on it and made sure the tick was next to switch on on the control panel. We have also reset it. We have watched various you tube videos and nothing has worked. When we bought it 2 days ago the man showed us how to switch it on and it worked.
We are camping in Scotland and are freezing! We are currently sitting in a car park trying to fix the problem as I couldn’t stand another cold night like last night. Can anyone help please?
Also the diagnostics test on the control panel said no errors

Have you enough fuel and batteries well charged ?

Hi
Leisure Batteries Fully Charged?
Have you tried on Mains Hookup?
Have you got more than a 1/4 tank of Diesel?
Reset Control Panel, check for any Diagnostic Codes?

Check Control Panel Diagnostics.

Control panel On

Press and Hold R lower button and then press Control Knob for 5 secs.

New Hidden Menu . Scroll to VW Diagnostics.

If there are any codes shown, take note and then Reset/Clear.

Return to Main Menu.

Switch Off Control Panel using L lower button. Wait 30 secs and Switch On.

Try Heater.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

How long are you wait for it to respond ? Its not instant and takes a minute or so to start cranking up then you should hear the fan get going.

Hi
Done diagnostics through hidden menu. Says no errors.
We have tried again and waited 5 mins. Still nothing. When the seller showed us the heating it did make a bit of a noise and within a few mins we could feel heat coming out. There is no noise at the moment or heat. That’s roughly 6 minutes.

Hi
Done diagnostics through hidden menu. Says no errors.
We have tried again and waited 5 mins. Still nothing. When the seller showed us the heating it did make a bit of a noise and within a few mins we could feel heat coming out. There is no noise at the moment or heat. That’s roughly 6 minutes.
We were on a site last night with mains hook up.

Could it be a fuse? It’s all I can think of. Where is the fuse box for the auxhillary heating located?

There are 2 fuses, one for the heater control module (not camper control) and that is in the dashboard fuse box and the second is under the passenger seat and that is a larger fuse (poss 25a) and that powers the heater itself.

If it is a fuse its most likely the latter, otherwise there would be a control panel error if it couldn't talk to the module.

Are you on mains hook up in Scotland or when the seller showed it to you?

Just thinking earth shunt...

Reactions: Loz
Tracy,
But yourself a small fan heater as back up.
Good luck!

Sounds like the earth shunt to me, I had the same but fine once the shunt was modified. Of course no help to Tracy, I hope she has fund a suitable temporary alternative.

Hi Tracy ... Did you resolve the heating problem ?

Hi Tracy ... Did you resolve the heating problem ?
Hi we are still at our wits end with this. I have done the new shunt now and still nothing.
Is it possible the unit itself goes in to lock down mode or something?
I have a friend who has a diagnostic tool. Would this pick up any faults? Thanks
Scott. (Tracy’s better half)

Hi Scott, I'm about 25 miles South of Cammachmore, would you like me to pop up with multimeter today / tomorrow? I don't know the T5 / heater but I do have some experience of car electrics...I'm off work until Wednesday.
Martin
Thanks Martin. We could drive to you now if your at home. Is it a diagnostic tool you have ?
Send me your number and I can call you to discuss
Thanks
Scott

Thanks Martin. We could drive to you now if your at home. Is it a diagnostic tool you have ?
Send me your number and I can call you to discuss
Thanks
Scott
Number removed...

Last edited:
What a lovely gesture from one member to another x
I know
We are new to a California but so happy with the friendly responses
Hope to get this heater issue resolved ASAP so we can use it. Thanks

If you have done what the other members have suggested and still no go ... Trip to the dealer's ( get your wallet out ) Maybe a strip and clean of the heater will resolve it ... Good luck.

If you have done what the other members have suggested and still no go ... Trip to the dealer's ( get your wallet out ) Maybe a strip and clean of the heater will resolve it ... Good luck.
Too late with my reply ... Great members here.

I know
We are new to a California but so happy with the friendly responses
Hope to get this heater issue resolved ASAP so we can use it. Thanks
Unfortunately, as in my previous post, if the Control Panel has not logged any faults then the problem is unlikely to be electrical and more likely to be mechanical.
If you are unable to sort it I would advise against visiting a VW Dealership. Their response will be “ Replace Heater “.
Instead search for an Eberspacher Dealer or Service Agent. These heaters are fairly simple devices with replaceable components such as filter, fuel pump, glow plug and fan.

178E6E88-F845-4B80-A608-D0C3BD636759.jpeg