Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Purchases

nickdrums

nickdrums

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

I am waiting on my new Cali and want to get the basics for our first few nights before I collect it, as we are going away for an off-grid night the very next day. Here's my current list - given that I only want to get the essentials and then live with it a bit, would anyone suggest any other essentials, or cross anything off my list?

I don't want to get cooking stuff yet - just enough for breakfast and making a packed lunch.

• Cutlery
  • Plastic plates
  • Plastic glasses
  • Plastic mugs
  • Plastic boxes for tea bags etc.
  • Porta potti
  • Duvet
  • Level ups
  • Gas bottle
  • Water tank filler
  • Whistling kettle (already have)
  • Electric hookup cable (already have)
Thanks! Nick.

I use ziplock bags for tea bags etc, can then squash into gaps which helps with rattles.

We've not bothered with a water tank filler, use a garden hose instead. Bear in mind, this causes a lot of debate on the forum!

Re level-ups, again not had the need to use these as yet, though I know some think they are essential.

Enjoy getting to know your Cali!

Avoid plastic cups and plates, bamboo is the way to go. Have you checked out the club shop for the bits you need?

The list could be long, despite you want to start easy ;-)

• Flashlight
  • Solar driven lights for the awning (IKEA) - or other lights for outside use.
  • Carpet or mat for outside
  • Small Broom
  • Collapsable washingbowl, brush and soap (Consider a collapsable kettle to (Outwell))
  • Wine opener and cooler
  • Chemistry and paper for the Porta Potti (We never used ours, so it's for sale again)
  • Grill/barbeque
  • Moskitonet for the sliding door
  • Sides for awning
  • Topper
  • Blanket + pillows for downstairs
  • We declined the plastic and went for porcelain and glass (IKEA)
  • Bin
  • Drying line

Well guess I could go on … maybe you can use some ;-)

Congrats with your new home and have fun! Maybe you will post some pictures?

A few more bits and bobs...
  • Matches / piezo lighter
  • Bin liners for the bin
  • Tin foil / food wrap
  • Kitchen Knife
  • Kitchen Roll
  • Washing up liquid

I believe it is too easy to over think this. for example split it into lists that meet your
  • food and eating
  • sleeping bedding
  • entertainment
  • daily life - clothing
  • storage

IMG_1548.JPG

We have never found a need for level ups, they now live in the garage.

Some type of rectangular boxes that you can keep items contained within inside the kitchen cupboards. We use one for our cups, plates, bowls and another for things like coffee, tea, spices etc etc. Much easier to pull one of these out instead of reaching into the cupboard.

Last edited:
Did yer man not say basics? :eek: I fully support not going nuts in advance, many folks buy a raft of stuff straight away & barely use it later.

We pack & go as light as possible, otherwise you're just a librarian trying to remember what is where & why on an impossibly long manifest.

- Something to eat off & something to take it home in dirty

- Bottled water will do you for the first couple of goes

- Assume an Ocean comes with a full gas bottle & ready to rock?

- The manual, you will need it & should read it all at least once

- Headtorch

- cheapo woven groundsheet from eBay (2x2M, 3x3M ish)

- tent pegs and/or Fiamma tie-down kit for rollout awning (expensive if the wind tries taking it)

- kitchen roll & baby wipes (it *will* get messed up eventually!)

- bin bags

- SpareSafe from club shop

- woolly hat, you'll be outside more than you expect

Perhaps stating the obvious, but some don't initially realise the 240v three-pin mains socket only works whilst hooked up at a site & not in lay-bys or car parks - must've spoilt many a first run-out for a brew!

Have fun.

Last edited:
A tray which is fridge lid sized to place mugs, snacks whatever onto so that you can get into fridge easily by moving said tray.

Welcome nickdrums
I look forward to see some pictures about your new Cali. As said before it depends from where you come from (tent-camping or AirBnB-ing) and where you're going to: Wild camping or staying at a campesite.

tow bar and trailer to put it all in

Avoid plastic cups and plates, bamboo is the way to go. Have you checked out the club shop for the bits you need?
Sadly all my bamboo has started to peel. Bought it for the grandkids instead of plastic. Good luck with yours.

For the first trip my advice :
Take what you got allready , take some stuff out you kitchen that you think you'l need .
Load up the fridge , take clothing .
And drive off somewhere nearby for a two nighter...
Imagine yourself @the northpole with no shops nearby..
Take note on what you are missing...
Work from there on ....

Relax and enjoy .
Wait for delivery , read the manual and the forum .
Then plan a trip nearby.

Wonderful - thanks for all the replies - really useful. Here's a teaser picture from a recent trip to the dealer!

IMG_4484.JPG

P.S. It's an ex-demo so I'm having to wait out the demo period.