Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First time coming to UK …

We are about to plan 5-6 weeks Summer trip and are seriously considering to come to the UK this year. Maybe a roundtrip with the ferry to Brest and back to Denmark thru France and Benelux. But now we are open to ideas:
Not the UK I know, but we're hoping to explore the Wild Atlantic Way this summer.

Not the UK I know, but we're hoping to explore the Wild Atlantic Way this summer.

That looks like a great trip, where will you travel across the water from?

looking at ferry prices a while back it seemed less expensive than other routes to sail from Cairnryan to Larne, it’s a fair bit more driving if you’re based down south although plenty to see en route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a great trip, where will you travel across the water from?

looking at ferry prices a while back it seemed less expensive than other routes to sail from Cairnryan to Larne, it’s a fair bit more driving if you’re based down south although plenty to see en route.
Fishguard to Rosslare then Larne to Cairnryan. That way we will cover all five countries of the British Isles: England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland then England again.

Fishguard to Rosslare then Larne to Cairnryan. That way we will cover all five countries of the British Isles: England, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland then England again.

I’d not have considered that way of doing things, I will have to update my thinking to accommodate the freedom the newly acquired campervan affords.

My reaction to Ireland being included in your mention of the five countries of the British Isles was to check, every day is a school day and I was surprised that I hadn’t been certain of whether it is or isn’t included.

Your description is of course literally correct although I suspect it could divide opinion on your travels

I hope you’ll update the forum on your travels as I look forward to hearing about your tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d not have considered that way of doing things, I will have to update my thinking to accommodate the freedom the newly acquired campervan affords.

My reaction to Ireland being included in your mention of the five countries of the British Isles was to check, every day is a school day and I was surprised that I hadn’t been certain of whether it is or isn’t included.

Your description is of course literally correct although I suspect it could divide opinion on your travels

I hope you’ll update the forum on your travels as I look forward to hearing about your tour.
It can be a contentious term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute

But in the same way that we refer to the English Channel as the "English Channel" and the French refer to it as "La Manche", the Irish could perfectly reasonably call the collective islands by another name. Instead, in their Parliament MPs and ministers appear to routinely refer to them as the British Isles.

Matts suggestion is a good one if contemplating that area consider searching more info on:

Petruth paddock campsite in cheddar, walking distance to restaurants, pubs, Cheddar Gorge, working cheese factory & tour (cheese tasting) and supermarkets. Nice walks biking.

Wookie hole: ancient caves, stalactites, mites etc. Caves were used to mature Chedsar cheese, A little touristy but worth a visit.

Bristol, relatively close to Cheddar: SS Great Britain in dry dock, banksy artwork, heritage dock area, museums, check parking height restrictions in the city centre car parks, rail station car park has no height restriction but is a little more expensive.

(White Hart pub, in Cheddar, is a good friendly local pub with good food at reasonable prices)

Clovelly - north Devon - Heritage site, steep cobbled street leading to fishing harbour, nice pub at the bottom of the steep street, sardine fishing community / museum preserved for future generations.

Lynton and Lydmouth (noth Devon) just outside national park area. ( area of outstanding natural beauty)

Stone henge & visitor centre (English heritage site) expensive but unique - national trust membership may worth looking into if you choose to go to other National trust sites while in U.K. ( National trust own many many heritage sites throughout U.K., check out “National Trust” website) Stone henge is not directly owned by National trust, athough national trust members, get in free when booking in advance at stone henge ( including free parking for National trust members)

Glastonbury Tor , park in town and get the tourist bus to the base of the Tor, walk the last part ( no parking anywhere near) then go and Look around Glastonbury town (spiritual touristy town)

Bath - Roman town spa and baths, accient town, (tourist area) nice architecture (ancient town)

Must have:
Cheddar cheese from cheddar
“cream tea” tea with scones, jam and clotted cream, quintessential English for the south west of England
Cornish pasty ( available outside Cornwall)

There are lots and lots of options in and around Somerset and Devon and lovely places to visit, views and beaches.

Good luck with the planning. Please ask if you want some specific info on a place or area, I’m sure many will have super advice for you to use for further research.

Last edited:
Matts suggestion is a good one if contemplating that area consider searching more info on:

Petruth paddock campsite in cheddar, walking distance to restaurants, pubs, Cheddar Gorge, working cheese factory & tour (cheese tasting) and supermarkets. Nice walks biking.

Wookie hole: ancient caves, stalactites, mites etc. Caves were used to mature Chedsar cheese, A little touristy but worth a visit.

Bristol, relatively close to Cheddar: SS Great Britain in dry dock, banksy artwork, heritage dock area, museums, check parking height restrictions in the city centre car parks, rail station car park has no height restriction but is a little more expensive. (White Hart pub is a good friendly local pub with good food at reasonable prices)

Clovelly - north Devon - Heritage site, steep cobbled street leading to fishing harbour, nice pub at the bottom of the steep street, sardine fishing community / museum preserved for future generations.

Lynton and Lydmouth (noth Devon) just outside national park area. ( area of outstanding natural beauty)

Stone henge & visitor centre (English heritage site) expensive but unique - national trust membership may worth looking into if you choose to go to other National trust sites while in U.K. ( National trust own many many heritage sites throughout U.K., check out “National Trust” website) Stone henge is not directly owned by National trust, athough national trust members, get in free when booking in advance at stone henge ( including free parking for National trust members)

Glastonbury Tor , park in town and get the tourist bus to the base of the Tor, walk the last part ( no parking anywhere near) then go and Look around Glastonbury town (spiritual touristy town)

Bath - Roman town spa and baths, accient town, (tourist area) nice architecture (ancient town)

Must have:
Cheddar cheese from cheddar
“cream tea” tea with scones, jam and clotted cream, quintessential English for the south west of England
Cornish pasty ( available outside Cornwall)

There are lots and lots of options in and around Somerset and Devon and lovely places to visit, views and beaches.

Good luck with the planning. Please ask if you want some specific info on a place or area, I’m sure many will have super advice for you to use for further research.

Thank you all so much for your time putting all these tips together, we are really grateful and looking forward to coming across. Seems like adventures are plenty to come :)