Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip abroad

A

Andy P

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have just joined the california team and taking my family for our first trip to France this summer. An tips that might help would be great. Good campsites would also be a help. Thanks

France is a maaaaaaasive area give us a bit of clue as to which part you fancy going to!
Who's travelling ?
How long for?

There are treads on France , if you want detailed tips you need to tell what direction you will head and want you wants and needs are...
Anyway , enjoy

Sorry good point. Going across to ST Malo then down the west cost. Also looking for tips like what not to forget. What gadgets gizmos did you find useful.

hi!
I don't know that side of France very well (only went as far as Le Mont-Saint-Michel) but heard good things about La Rochelle and Île de Ré. We will visit it sometime...
We don't use very often a campsite; we stay at motorhome parkings and use this site: http://www.campercontact.com/en/
When we are in France: we take the routes nationales: sometimes, it takes for ages to get somewhere but it is so much more beautifull, driving through the villages, stop at the services along the routes, eat something at a local restaurant,... and the gas is much less expensive. And there are also roads that aren't péages (toll roads) but look the same and there you can catch up but mind the speed cameras!
What not to forget? Well, a good mood :), some common sense and with every trip you'll make, you'll learn what to bring but equally important, what to leave at home ;)

Happy travelling!

Greetings
Calibusje
Belgium

Like number 17 on the Compulsory equipment that you can download says: "...the location of fixed speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Point of interest)’ function deactivated, please check individual touring tips."
I can ad with reservation: "Indicators radar or navigation devices that transmit the location of fixed and mobile speed cameras are prohibited. However, for now are admitted navigation devices with "driving assistance" ; they indicate where there are danger zones. Within these zones can speed radars be deployed, but the exact location can not be quoted."
We switched off the possibility to show on the screen from the sat nav. It still makes a sound and there is a warning sign on the screen but that should be o.k. according the site where I found the info (also an AA touring site). Maybe a French member can confirm this?
And of course: we mind speeding ;)

Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
From St-Malo down to the Pyrenees sounds great ,vistit Bordeaux + wine sites , lots of beaches and lakes further down , Arcachon , Dunes des Pyla is a must see!
More inland the Dordogne region is nice ( as most off France )
But busy in the summer-school vacation!
On what to take it's better to read some existing posts and extract things that come handy for you.
Things i take may not work for you at all....much personal wants and needs.
Things like obligated fluo-vest etc...you can find online.
For RHD the toll-tag comes handy on the autoroutes -peage

Hello, we've done the west coast of France a few times and this year we are doing the same route as you but keeping on going into Spain and coming back from Santander so we don't have to drive north again!

This year we're visiting Isle de Noirmoutier, Arcachon and Biarritz (and anywhere else that takes our fancy!). Not stayed on many sites to write home about to be honest, but the Pavilion Royal in Bidart is great - bit packed in but good facilities and direct access to a lovely beach.

I also really like Quiberon in Brittany - the sand sparkles! The Ile de Re is very pretty but painfully expensive, even getting onto the island over the toll bridge. Ouch. Take your bikes if you do go - cycling paradise.

There are lots of little surfer enclaves in the Gironde where you can camp in the pine forests and surf on the Cote d'Argent.

Happy holidays!