Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitted some USB Sockets

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I fitted some Blue sea USB sockets over the weekend, I fitted one twin socket for the passenger, one twin socket for the driver, both wired to the permanent live from the fuse board and an on/off switch fitted to one of the blank switches on the dash. I might get a second rear heated window switch and use it for them just to keep the standard look.
IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6725.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG
I also fitted a twin socket in the rear from the leisure battery, I removed the Din socket or Hella socket and used that hole for a switch, then fitted the USB socket below the mains plug.
IMG_6727.JPG
Happy enough with the install, the spare points on the fuse board allow easy connection to permanent live or live when the ignition is on. I might rotate the socket in the rear, I think it looks better withe the ports horizontal.

Nice work. I've put one here, switch turns off the blue glow at night.

Cheers, the ones I bought don't have LED lights on them, but I fitted switches to isolate them.

Cheers, the ones I bought don't have LED lights on them, but I fitted switches to isolate them.
I think you are right to fit a switch as I think any USB socket will draw current even when idle. Albeit a small drain on the battery.

I think you are right to fit a switch as I think any USB socket will draw current even when idle. Albeit a small drain on the battery.
Yea that was my thinking.
I researching the idea of a leisure battery supply to the radio in the Cali, so if that works out I may power the front USB sockets from the leisure battery also.

I fitted some Blue sea USB sockets over the weekend, I fitted one twin socket for the passenger, one twin socket for the driver, both wired to the permanent live from the fuse board and an on/off switch fitted to one of the blank switches on the dash. I might get a second rear heated window switch and use it for them just to keep the standard look.
View attachment 23880 View attachment 23881
View attachment 23883
I also fitted a twin socket in the rear from the leisure battery, I removed the Din socket or Hella socket and used that hole for a switch, then fitted the USB socket below the mains plug.
View attachment 23882
Happy enough with the install, the spare points on the fuse board allow easy connection to permanent live or live when the ignition is on. I might rotate the socket in the rear, I think it looks better withe the ports horizontal.
Nice work!
But they're not cheap those sockets are they :Depressed
Definitely food for thought though... very much like the idea and the placing of them too.
Myself have been thinking of adding another 230v socket above the fridge...
All on the ever growing "to do" list...:D

No they are exspensive, ÂŁ38 each, but they are 4.8 amp so able to charge two devices at once and are supposed to be as fast as a mains charger.
A second mains socke is a good idea, I wonder could a neat uk plug be sourced to replace the EU socket? I must check the one fitted to the uk spec t5/6 to see if it could be swapped and a second fitted.

That's a nice tidy bit of work. Nice location for them also.

Yea that was my thinking.
I researching the idea of a leisure battery supply to the radio in the Cali, so if that works out I may power the front USB sockets from the leisure battery also.
There is a thread about that here somewhere. I think it has been done but I would be nervous about warranty issues with a vehicle still under factory warranty.

There is a thread about that here somewhere. I think it has been done but I would be nervous about warranty issues with a vehicle still under factory warranty.
Mine is a 2002 cali, so no warranty issues!!

Nice work!
But they're not cheap those sockets are they :Depressed
Definitely food for thought though... very much like the idea and the placing of them too.
Myself have been thinking of adding another 230v socket above the fridge...
All on the ever growing "to do" list...:D
I know your post dates from a few years ago but did you ever fit the additional 230v socket above the fridge? Am thinking of the same so wondered if you had any photos and a description of the install?

I know your post dates from a few years ago but did you ever fit the additional 230v socket above the fridge? Am thinking of the same so wondered if you had any photos and a description of the install?
Alas not yet... have bought the parts though (original westfalia like the existing ones poptop.nl). It's more of a fiddly job passing the cable back to the existing socket (so as not to have to remove all the trim), just never got around to it...
If I get time I'll do it and document it here (but I wouldn't expect it any time soon :veryfunny)

That is for a slightly different vehicle to the T6.1.

Back