Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting 5th Seat - T6.1 Ocean: Issue Sliding On Rails

t6.1

t6.1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm wondering if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here, or if there's something wrong with the seat please?

In this video it shows using the front lever you should be able to move the seat along the rails:

It looks like the front lever brings up the front legs, but not the back ones. By taking the draw out I can get in and push the mechanism inside to bring up the back legs and it will slide, but I'm sure this isn't the correct method!

I've put together a video to show under the seat and the mechanism:

Other useful posts for reference:

Thanks in advance.

Solved! Thanks to my wife!! :)

Whilst I moved around the various levers my wife noticed the mechanism moving and then this bar not connected.

By connecting the bar back to the plastic hook indicated in the red circle this made the front lever pull up both the front and rear feet and to move freely on the rails.

IMG_9410 Medium.jpeg

Glad you sorted it and wish I'd seen your useful links earlier. I spent about 3 hours faffing about with my 5th seat yesterday in my new Coast. I didn't have your issue but just couldn't fathom how to remove the rail covers without needing to get the seat back beyond the join (brand new, stiff and I really didn't think they could slide with seat on top). Decided to remove the rear shelf, slide the bench seat back and then slide 5th seat further back. I've worked it all out now and can get the rail covers off and on with 5th seat within the confines of its permitted movement with rear shelf and bench seat in place. The rear shelf is just about as awkward a lump to take out and put in as the 5th seat, with a real danger of scratching the interior, so that's just going to have to stay. I was thinking if I wasn't going to be camping for a while it would be worth taking out to give more space between the seats but it's too much like hard work. Anyway I'm now intimately acquainted with all the intricate workings of the 5th seat and seriously contemplating selling one of my kids! If I'd had the opportunity of trying this before I ordered, I might have bought a nugget! :D

Glad you sorted it and wish I'd seen your useful links earlier. I spent about 3 hours faffing about with my 5th seat yesterday in my new Coast. I didn't have your issue but just couldn't fathom how to remove the rail covers without needing to get the seat back beyond the join (brand new, stiff and I really didn't think they could slide with seat on top). Decided to remove the rear shelf, slide the bench seat back and then slide 5th seat further back. I've worked it all out now and can get the rail covers off and on with 5th seat within the confines of its permitted movement with rear shelf and bench seat in place. The rear shelf is just about as awkward a lump to take out and put in as the 5th seat, with a real danger of scratching the interior, so that's just going to have to stay. I was thinking if I wasn't going to be camping for a while it would be worth taking out to give more space between the seats but it's too much like hard work. Anyway I'm now intimately acquainted with all the intricate workings of the 5th seat and seriously contemplating selling one of my kids! If I'd had the opportunity of trying this before I ordered, I might have bought a nugget! :D
(Problem solving wife here) Haha to the nugget comment/selling a child. Glad you got sorted. Have you been watching Cali Camping Family!? The nugget is starting to grow on us too! Are you a family of 5? We are 4 for now but aspire to be a family of 5 and interested to know how we get on camping like that. I think the 5th seat will get much easier with time (for my husband I have no intention of getting it in or out) but it’s not ideal is it. A lot of folk with 5 seem to have Beaches but to me that doesn’t feel quite like a campervan but maybe I’ll change my tune if we grow.

Yes, family of 5 (10, 7 & 5)and a little dog and yes I have watched some of the Cali camping family. I did initially think a Beach with 3 seat bench would be best for our needs but by the time you added a couple of essential options, including an auxiliary heater, it was costing the same as a Coast and I really didn't think that represented good value. I will use the camper most on my own, or with a friend for hillwalking and mountaineering in Scotland, with occasional day trips/weekends with all the family so again the Beach seemed more of a compromise than I needed to make. We're also fortunate to have a touring caravan and for holidays of one or two weeks, I think it will be the best choice, i.e. pick a site, setup the caravan and awning and be comfortable whatever the weather. Touring as a family with the camper would be good too but if we pick a wet week, it could be a challenge! I knew the 5th seat would be a faff but it does at least give you 3 seats with isofix. I don't think the Nugget has this and can't imagine it's possible to get 3 child seats fitted in that. I've only had the Coast since Thursday last week and haven't camped as a family yet. Planning to try it out this weekend. I don't have an awning for the camper yet but thinking setting up a tent, so we can dump the 5th seat and child seats in there. We're going to stick the kids up top and I'm really not expecting any of us to get much sleep but it'll be good fun (for one night at least :)). 3 kids are definitely a logistical challenge for many things including transport, hotels etc but of course I wouldn't change that for the world.

Yes, family of 5 (10, 7 & 5)and a little dog and yes I have watched some of the Cali camping family. I did initially think a Beach with 3 seat bench would be best for our needs but by the time you added a couple of essential options, including an auxiliary heater, it was costing the same as a Coast and I really didn't think that represented good value. I will use the camper most on my own, or with a friend for hillwalking and mountaineering in Scotland, with occasional day trips/weekends with all the family so again the Beach seemed more of a compromise than I needed to make. We're also fortunate to have a touring caravan and for holidays of one or two weeks, I think it will be the best choice, i.e. pick a site, setup the caravan and awning and be comfortable whatever the weather. Touring as a family with the camper would be good too but if we pick a wet week, it could be a challenge! I knew the 5th seat would be a faff but it does at least give you 3 seats with isofix. I don't think the Nugget has this and can't imagine it's possible to get 3 child seats fitted in that. I've only had the Coast since Thursday last week and haven't camped as a family yet. Planning to try it out this weekend. I don't have an awning for the camper yet but thinking setting up a tent, so we can dump the 5th seat and child seats in there. We're going to stick the kids up top and I'm really not expecting any of us to get much sleep but it'll be good fun (for one night at least :)). 3 kids are definitely a logistical challenge for many things including transport, hotels etc but of course I wouldn't change that for the world.
Yes we just looked at the price of a Beach and was surprised. In a dream world I think we’d have a beach for a daily driven and Ocean for camping! Ah caravan gives you good options then. Our ocean is our everyday vehicle too. It’s ideal for that. Even with the 5th seat in recently (with the parcel shelf back to create enough leg room) it was roomy.
Yes we have a pop tent for car seats and toilet when needed and handy to chuck bikes and other bits.
Ah fab hope you all have a wonderful time. You never know.. Our 3 year old sleeps better in the van than at home now he’s used to it. Baby doesn’t sleep at all though!

Did you both order a 5th seat with your vans from new? Or are you fitting after purchasing an additional seat later on?

Hi, Im still wondering if I have the option of a 5th seat? I have ordered a California Ocean due in end of 2022 and there's only two rails, what are my options? Do I need to cancel my order and get a Beach, I hope not!

Hi, Im still wondering if I have the option of a 5th seat? I have ordered a California Ocean due in end of 2022 and there's only two rails, what are my options? Do I need to cancel my order and get a Beach, I hope not!
Ideally cancel your order & reorder an Ocean with the 3rd rail.
Its not an insurmountable problem, as long as you are not a 4motion ( weight problems!) you can get a third rail retrofitted but it isn't cheap.

Thanks, we are going to stick with the current build as we have waited so long now and we also wanted the Ocean layout so we may need to just rely on a second car when its really necessary but I will look into what's involved in getting that 3rd rail fitted that might be an option. We will know after a year or so if it is critical, but many larger motorhomes have only 4 seats so we will just have to get used to it. The setup we have is not 4 motion but it is the 204bhp engine but you're right the weight is now limited to 3,000 Kg so that's another factor. Thanks again.

Back