Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting a 5th seat belt? Any ideas if this is possible

hebethomas

hebethomas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Does anyone know if you can fit a 'lap seat belt' in the back set please. When we were lookign to buy our Cali we saw a private seller had put a lap belt in the rear so that three people (small ish) can fit on the seats. Is this legal? Has anyone else done it? Many thanks M

Please do not fit a lap belt. They cause severe injuries in even low speed crashes.

You can't fit it as illegal for one and the third person would be sitting on where the seat belts clip in. Where would you clip in any additional belts? Do you have the third rail in the floor for a fifth seat?
When we bought our van one of the requirements was a fifth seat, only used it twice but it's there if needed again.

Does anyone know if you can fit a 'lap seat belt' in the back set please. When we were lookign to buy our Cali we saw a private seller had put a lap belt in the rear so that three people (small ish) can fit on the seats. Is this legal? Has anyone else done it? Many thanks M
How many seats/passengers on your registration document, V5c.
If you exceed that number then it is illegal and your insurance is invalid.
If you have 3 floor rails and fit the VW seat with intergrated seat belt then you can upgrade your V5c to 5 and would be legal and insured.

I have been thinking of fitting a lap belt, as on my v5c it states 5 seats and always has done

John

Last edited:
Legal issues aside the injuries sustained in accidents involving lap belts can be devastating. When you see the internal injuries in hospital you would never advocate a lap belt.

Legal issues aside the injuries sustained in accidents involving lap belts can be devastating. When you see the internal injuries in hospital you would never advocate a lap belt.

Ok thanks for that/ point made. Ug - don't want a horrible injury on my watch.

Back