Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting Cali Topper

aBusAndBeyond

aBusAndBeyond

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, we have fitted our Cali Topper a few times now using the screw fixings and elasticated loops (2 on the awning side, 4 on the other side) but there are also loops connected to a bungee cord in each of the four corners. I'm not sure how you are supposed to tighten these and where they are supposed to loop around?

Round the fixing screws on the corners - 3 round each on the awning side and 2 on the other.

The 4 cord ends loop around the 4 outside corner fixings, same as the other loops.

Hi, we have fitted our Cali Topper a few times now using the screw fixings and elasticated loops (2 on the awning side, 4 on the other side) but there are also loops connected to a bungee cord in each of the four corners. I'm not sure how you are supposed to tighten these and where they are supposed to loop around?
Fitting video

Ok thanks and then the extra cord loops (front and back) on the awning side, how do they attach? They seem very slack when attached to the thumb screws

Ok thanks and then the extra cord loops (front and back) on the awning side, how do they attach? They seem very slack when attached to the thumb screws

You can turn the looser parts two times arround the crews .
Or as i did shorten the loops in a bit.
Do you get what i am trying to explain?

As these are all manual assembled i guess there are some diffrences in cord lengths
I found them to loose also and tryed to shorten the cord loops while the topper is on the Cali , testing the tention.
Not cutting them immidiatly , did all four cords first , and then cut the restparts.

The fact that on the awning sides you can only fit two instead four screws ( in font and rear ) makes it slacker and thats why you need to shorten the cord .
If no awning is fitted you can put more scews in the rail making it better attached.
Or use suckers on the awninghousing to attatch the cord in the middle part....

I'm just wondering...
Has anyone loosened the awning sufficiently to slide the 2 thumb screws past it and just left them in place after that?
I don't know how much they would be affected by the weather or if I'm missing the point as to whats stopping you having 4 on the awning side.

I'm just wondering...
Has anyone loosened the awning sufficiently to slide the 2 thumb screws past it and just left them in place after that?
I don't know how much they would be affected by the weather or if I'm missing the point as to whats stopping you having 4 on the awning side.
You could. I haven't bothered and have left the thumbscrews on, for the past 3 years. Only use it occasionally during winter as I can dry the bellows at home.
The roof mechanism is pristine. It is galvanised and I certainly didn't buy the Topper for that reason, only for when someone is sleeping upstairs in the depths of winter.

Slightly off at a tangent but Cali Topper related and the OP's question seems answered so I'll post here anyway, asides the rain if it's dry what sort of temperatures prompt owners to fit the top? 8 deg C ? 4 Deg C? Zero???

Slightly off at a tangent but Cali Topper related and the OP's question seems answered so I'll post here anyway, asides the rain if it's dry what sort of temperatures prompt owners to fit the top? 8 deg C ? 4 Deg C? Zero???
If its dry and no one sleeping up top I just turn heater up.
Basically if heater needed and someone up top then I fit it for its insulation properties.

Any significant rain forecast or heater required.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu