Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting diff lock after purchase

N

Ntatejimmy1977

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I've been looking for a used California and will make the purchase in the spring of 2023. As the owner of a T3 syncro I am determined to not only have 4Motion but a diff lock on any Cali I buy. Quite often I see a vehicle that looks attractive, low mileage, decent enough price, but it will be a 4Motion without a diff lock. Does anyone know the cost of having a diff lock installed post purchase? Thank you.

I've been looking for a used California and will make the purchase in the spring of 2023. As the owner of a T3 syncro I am determined to not only have 4Motion but a diff lock on any Cali I buy. Quite often I see a vehicle that looks attractive, low mileage, decent enough price, but it will be a 4Motion without a diff lock. Does anyone know the cost of having a diff lock installed post purchase? Thank you.
There have been a lot of discussions on this on various forums, but no one has as yet tried to do so.

From what I have read, a proper install will require some re-coding to the On board computer.

robert or mmi over on the t6forum would be your best bet to find out more information on this.

It will require a new rear differential and axle unit, plus the electrics and re-coding of the vehicle. VW will not do it.
A new rear axle and diff assembly is £6000+ .
Economically you would be better off waiting for the correct spec vehicle or even ordering new.

does the 4 motion only run a rear diff lock then?

Not found anyone successfully retro-fitting. I think you will just have to be patient and search.

If you are serious about getting the most out of having 4motion and a diff lock then you need to consider manual as well. DSG while great, doesn’t give the subtle control in a low traction situation.

It will require a new rear differential and axle unit, plus the electrics and re-coding of the vehicle. VW will not do it.
A new rear axle and diff assembly is £6000+ .
Economically you would be better off waiting for the correct spec vehicle or even ordering new.
OP indicates their location is USA. Buying new not an option

does the 4 motion only run a rear diff lock then?
The Haldex on the 4Motion, is an electronic diff equivilent varying drive from front to rear. The mechanical diff lock is extra option locking the rear diff.

So you can’t lock front to rear?

Mechanically No. But if 1 wheel spins on 1 axle then the Haldex automatically transfers drive to the other axle.
With the mechanical diff lock engaged the Haldex would not see the spinning wheel on the rear axle, I believe.

That would be a transfer lock.

4Motion doesn't require a Diff Lock unless some serious offroad or snow conditions are to be encountered.

Hazard of rear diff lock use is the fact that the rear axle will want to go straight ahead only making any steering very difficult, there is also a tendency for the rear axle to go sideways in mud or snow.

There is also a risk of the Diff Lock jamming on, not common but known fault.

4Motion plus judicious right foot control is surprisingly efficient without a lock on the rear.
Use of the Haldex combined with sensing on all 4 wheels could be described as having front to rear locking drive but only as required not permanent.

Last edited:
On all my landrovers "the diff lock" always meant the one on the transfer box the front & rear diffs didn't have locks.

Engaging the diff lock not only Locks the rear axle but also forces the haldex to engage which is the same as locking a centre diff if one was present. There is a video on rollers which shows the function of 4Motion with and without diff lock

Thanks for the responses. It looks as if an after purchase fitting of a rear mechanical diff lock is not economically feasible, so that's one question answered.

As far as a couple of the other comments, yes I am writing from the USA, but the California will be purchased on the continent and kept in France. And finally while a locked rear differential does tend to keep the wheels going straight ahead, I've found that they come in very handy. The T3 that I own here in the States is equipped with not only a rear diff lock but also a front locker. On the rare occasions where I have had to engage the front lock (deep sand on the beach in Baja, Mexico, mud on a logging road here in Washington state) the vehicle most definitely runs straight as an arrow. All in all the front locker is probably not worth it, but that's how the vehicle came. The rear one, however, is a much appreciated feature that I wouldn't be without.

Thanks for the responses. It looks as if an after purchase fitting of a rear mechanical diff lock is not economically feasible, so that's one question answered.

As far as a couple of the other comments, yes I am writing from the USA, but the California will be purchased on the continent and kept in France. And finally while a locked rear differential does tend to keep the wheels going straight ahead, I've found that they come in very handy. The T3 that I own here in the States is equipped with not only a rear diff lock but also a front locker. On the rare occasions where I have had to engage the front lock (deep sand on the beach in Baja, Mexico, mud on a logging road here in Washington state) the vehicle most definitely runs straight as an arrow. All in all the front locker is probably not worth it, but that's how the vehicle came. The rear one, however, is a much appreciated feature that I wouldn't be without.
Try out a VW or Audi vehicle with the 4Motion system to get an idea of its capabilities.
My 4M goes where only my previous Discovery4 would go without a hint of wheel spin.

Mechanical locking is a pretty brutal method.

Running the appropriate tires and pressures will go a long way to negating the need for a mechanical rear diff lock in all but the most extreme scenarios, where a Cali might find itself.

All true points. After driving across Africa in a 1970 Bay window Kombi I know all about lowering tire pressure. But I'm used to a diff lock on my T3 and will definitely have on on the Cali.

I have an excellent mechanic in Switzerland they can retrofit a diff lock. Price is high though at between 5-7K CHF.
6c1790d6563d48b425a33acce15cc814.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have t6.1 4 motion with rear diff lock, the haldex system is very clever and works great but i have to say im really glad i optioned the diff lock, it already got me out of incredibly stupid choice of road, i was stunned by the difference it made in traction with it on, its clearly a must have to the more adventurous of california owners

I have an excellent mechanic in Switzerland they can retrofit a diff lock. Price is high though at between 5-7K CHF.
6c1790d6563d48b425a33acce15cc814.png

I'm also looking into options for adding a rear diff lock. Is it possible to get a contact of this mechanic? I might spend sometime later this year in Switzerland.

I'm also looking into options for adding a rear diff lock. Is it possible to get a contact of this mechanic? I might spend sometime later this year in Switzerland.

Sure thing, ask for Sven Fischer and tell him Craig sent you:

Back