Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting front tow eye ?

crazygrandad

crazygrandad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Due to us getting stuck in a field a few years back I wanted to familarise myself with fitting the front tow eye in case we need to be towed out.

I have followed the instuctions in the manual and I physically cant remove the cover next to the fog lights, any advice much appreciated?

These pictures from Calikev may help... from a previous post on fog lamps

img_20150302_203544243-jpg.7032

img_20150302_203558438-jpg.7034

Start near the fog lamp and work your way around... It will make noises you don't want to hear ;)

Also, when it comes to fitting the eye itself... remember - IT"S A LEFT HAND THREAD!!!

Fell for that one for half an hour when I first tried to fit it :oops:

Rgds

Mark

Yet another thing I hadn't even given a thought to, well reminded, where in the cali would i find the towing eye, I dont recall seeing one, is it with the jack ?

Yes its in the tool box, I just tried taking mine off so I am prepared if ever I need to do it in an emergency and it not that easy to get off!

Just tried getting mine off for the past hour and it wont budge!! Is there a knack?

Due to us getting stuck in a field a few years back I wanted to familarise myself with fitting the front tow eye in case we need to be towed out.

I have followed the instuctions in the manual and I physically cant remove the cover next to the fog lights, any advice much appreciated?

You do have to pull very, very hard, and it makes horrible noises as it unclips.

Good idea to have a practice run with the tow eye as you sugest also with changing a wheel, as you need to be confident if the occasion arise
One doesn't want to be thumbeling around with the handbook when (if) the time comes

Why can't VW have a circular disc in the the panel that comes out like many cars have? It would need a longer towing eye but it's not difficult to do.
We remove this panel fairly frequently in the summer to use the towing eye to secure our tandem kayak.
I'm almost resigned to the clips breaking at some point.....
As others have said you need to be quite brutal to remove the panel.

We remove this panel fairly frequently in the summer to use the towing eye to secure our tandem kayak.

Could you not use the rear twoing eye? Could a thief not just unscrew the front one?

It's a long kayak so needs securing at the front and back when travelling.
I'm talking about for driving at speed not to stop it being stolen.

The front OS towing eye panel is very tight from new, top tips, run through the whole fitting process on your drive on a nice sunny day, buy a 'trim removing wedge' off e bay and keep with the towing eye, this is a much used tool in current VW's to remove all manner of trim, can also in emergency use a credit card to ease trim off but not a tough as the proper wedge tool, attack the panel in the middle first, put a good helping of grease into the towing eye thread, before inserting the towing eye, stops it rusting up over the years, you will well tighten it with a bar prior to being towed, left hand thread as previous comments, put small dabs of grease onto all the plastic tabs before replacing the front trim panel, can also put tiny marker pen dots on face of panel so you know where the retaining tabs are, makes it easier to remove without breaking at later date. This pales into insignificance when trying to remove the spare wheel in a suit ...!!

Hope this helps,

Rob H.

Back