Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting towbar to Beach

rupertpoon

rupertpoon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Guys,
Have just got a Westfalia towbar from PFJones and need to fit it to our Beach. Looking at the instructions it looks like I need some plastic support bar from VW. However Teeboy said his Cali had one fitted already. I asked PFJones and they said that was true but it would need modification.

Teeboy did you need to modify the plastic support to fit around the towbar?

I'm waiting for a dry day to fit it....will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I ordered the part recommended in the instructions, when I removed the bumper the identical part was in place.

As you know the instructions are not cali specific, but it does specify a difference for caravelle (I think from memory). VW took the part back with no questions so I would order anyway as it would be a pain to take apart and then find you need it. I think it was 29 quid with the 8 clips and 8 clip sockets. The clips might be handy if you break any of the others when removing the bumper :)

Tip to remove the push in clips - get a small diameter inch long self tapping screw and screw into the clip to pull out the core of the clip and then they are simple to remove.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Guys,
Thanks for the tips. I'll order the parts. Will see if I can get it through my local VW car dealer as my Cali dealer is a 40 minute drive away.

Any old vw dealer will do :) Mine had to order in, took about 2 days, still happy to give a full refund.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
Any old vw dealer will do :) Mine had to order in, took about 2 days, still happy to give a full refund.

Lucky to get a refund on Special Order parts T :thumb

I think special order stuff has a "Z" part number, I think these were just parts not held in the Kettering branch so just UK transfer.

T

Z numbers are often associated with accessories.

Most dealers wont refund on special order parts, it's often on the invoice.

When I had the towbar fitted to my beach it had the plastic support bar already there.
One problem encountered was the Westphalia wiring loom plug was not compatible with the socket fitted in the van. This caused some delay in the installation as part had to be changed so might be worth checking before trim / bumper etc is removed.

Patnolan -- did you have towing wiring prep or did you need the big loom going to the front passenger seat?

Beach 2 rear seater, 2012-140 Westphalia Towbar
The wiring prep was already installed in production so it was just a case of getting the correct loom with the right plug, the wrong one was sent back for a refund. I don't know where my installer got the correct parts from.
good luck.

Ok so finally I got the whole towbar installed. As @teeboy has said the electrics in the front are logical but you need to take your time! Just tested it with a bike carrier and it actually works!

My only question is the routing of the cable. I ended up sending it under the fuel tank as the instructions did not work. I did not fancy pushing the cable over the fuel tank with all the fuel lines and brake lines to chafe against. It all works, but wonder if anyone had some alternative thoughts?

Rupertpoon. Good to hear you got it sorted apart from the cable route. I thought they all had the installed socket in the rear o/s as on my 2012 beach and just needed compatible plug(s) on the towbar wiring kit as supplied by Westphalia.

Patnolan - if you buy with towing prep it is a 45 minute job to wire the electrics, which is what you have. We were not farsighted enough to order with this. But all good now and ready to fit an EasyBase for our holiday!

Back