Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fixed price service plan 2017. 2 full 2 interim services

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
When I bought my van new in 2017 from SMG Tonbridge I took out a fixed price service plan which included 2 full and 2 interim services. I called VW Financial Services today to discuss All In and to my dismay they told me my fixed price service plan had expired (in 2021). I explained to them my van is on a long life service plan (two year services) and still have two services to take. According to them I have lost out on two services. When I bought the van the service plan documentation made no reference to an expiry date. It only listed what was included. So now I have a battle on my hands to get these services reinstated.
Has anyone else encountered this issue and hopefully successfully resolved this?

When I bought my van new in 2017 from SMG Tonbridge I took out a fixed price service plan which included 2 full and 2 interim services. I called VW Financial Services today to discuss All In and to my dismay they told me my fixed price service plan had expired (in 2021). I explained to them my van is on a long life service plan (two year services) and still have two services to take. According to them I have lost out on two services. When I bought the van the service plan documentation made no reference to an expiry date. It only listed what was included. So now I have a battle on my hands to get these services reinstated.
Has anyone else encountered this issue and hopefully successfully resolved this?
Sounds like bullsh&t…If you follow the service schedule, then the van will only need servicing every 2 years, so 4 services if purchased in 2017 in years 2019, 2021, 2023, 2025.

Wording as below. No time limit as it instructs you to service the van as per the service schedule (ie - 2 years).

//

3.Available for vehicles aged 1-15 years. Covers the next two consecutive services limited to 1 x Minor Service, 1 x Major Service and 1 x MOT. T&Cs apply. Excludes All-in, Amarok and Electric Vehicles Service Plans. Additional work, including wear and tear,is excluded. Servicing must be carried out in line with the requirement of the service schedule and all work must be carried out at a VolkswagenAuthorised Van Centre. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be varied or withdrawn at any time. Service Plan validity is dependent on required payments received. Freepost Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle Financial Services.
//

Last edited:
I also had this issue last year. Argued it and got a couple of months extension, but not long enough to realistically use both services I hadn’t used ( I actually booked it in for the second one on the last day of the extension, but then had to postpone my appointment by a day and they wouldn’t honour it!!) There is no logic to it but in the end I lost the will to live with both VWFS and the dealership!!

Cheers both. I’ll raise a complaint tomorrow. I know what I signed up for and I don’t like it when I’m told the contrary by people who just believe what the computer tells them.

Cheers both. I’ll raise a complaint tomorrow. I know what I signed up for and I don’t like it when I’m told the contrary by people who just believe what the computer tells them.
did you get an answer on this?

I got nowhere. VWFS wouldn’t accept my argument so I took it to the Financial Ombudsman. That was a waste of time too. My next course of action is the Motoring Ombudsman and if that fails then possibly small claims court. What annoys me is that they, VWFS, say it was assumed the contract was for 4 years but why wasn’t that documented at the outset of the contract. If I knew it was for 4 years I would have had the van serviced every year as effectively I have paid for those services.

I got nowhere. VWFS wouldn’t accept my argument so I took it to the Financial Ombudsman. That was a waste of time too. My next course of action is the Motoring Ombudsman and if that fails then possibly small claims court. What annoys me is that they, VWFS, say it was assumed the contract was for 4 years but why wasn’t that documented at the outset of the contract. If I knew it was for 4 years I would have had the van serviced every year as effectively I have paid for those services.

i have just come across this and think someone is making a big mistake here.
I bought my ocean in 2016, A carrot was waved for me to take a fiancé deal. This include the service package (2 full+ 2 interim) also two year extension to the 3 year warrant.
my service is long life so a service every two years. so in my book that was the next 8 years servicing covered.
Earlier this year I had my third service which was covered by the original service plan. As far as I am aware in a couple of year/s I will use my last service from the package.
It seems some decide on different rules after the event.

in the originals finance sales brochure the types of service are clearly laid out.

I hope you have some joy in getting this sorted.

I’m sorry to hear your woes.
I have an service contract in place, as you do , which clearly states the parameters of the contract. I.e. pre paid services of x type.

The contract, which included the sale of the vehicle to you and anything else you purchased directly from the dealer, is in fact a contract with the dealer (the contract).
Apply pressure to the dealer, it is they whom are responsible for delivering the contract.

the facts are clear and unambiguous:
you purchased a pre paid service package from the dealer in good faith, to provide you x number of future services to provide you with security & surety that servicing of your vehicle, under the approved VW regime (I.e. variable long life service) would be provided when required and in line with VWs stated servicing (variable long life), to which VW use in their marketing campaigns as a benefit to the owner. (setting a reasonable expectation that future servicing will be carried out by VW approved dealer as and when required, regardless of time elapse, which was not stated in the original contract)

the paperwork / contract, does not (did not) state an expiry date, therefore if you paid in full (in good faith), service the vehicle in line with the manufacturers specified (variable) service schedule you are fulfilling your part of the contract, the dealer is not.

failure on the part of the dealer to deliver/ provide you with what you paid and naturally expect to be provided for in advance is fraud on the part of the dealer whom are complicit with the backing of VW who merely hold the records of the original contract. (backed by VWFS).

I have just checked my original contract of sales & VWFS contract, the additional service package I purchased is listed as a separate item on the invoice stating the value paid.

I also have a separate document “service plan agreement “ it states the date , the Vin number, reg and contact details of myself and the dealer. (The contract).
The agreement states;
the agreement is made between Volkswagen Financial services (U.K.) ltd, trading as Volkswagen Commercial vehicle Finance services etc, and the person named i. The document (you), the agreement is made on the date of Our signature on this document.

excerpt:

1. definitions:

Service schedule: means the schedules relating to the servicing of the vehicle contained in the service plan welcome letter supplied to you by Volkswagen commercial vehicle.

Payment: means the fee , as detailed within this agreement

retailer: means a Retailer in the United Kingdom authorised by Volkswagen CV and named in the list of retailers provided on supply of the vehicle to you, or in any subsequent list of authorised retailers issued by Volkswagen CV.

Service : means subject to the exclusions contained in clues 4, all the parts and labour charges needed to comply with the service schedules, including all engine oils.

agreement: The provisions of this agreement are valid for vehicles operated and located in the U.K. only (excludes islands and IOM)

our obligations: We will accept agreed costs associated with the service for your vehicle, subject to the exclusions in clause 4, for the duration of the contract.

4. Exclusions
5. disputes
6. Your obligations
7. termination by you
8. termination by us
9. Our liability
10. Transfer of ownership
11. No waiver
12. Matter beyond reasonable Control
13. Variation
14. Law

for obvious reasons of confidentiality, I won’t post the front page of the Doc on here, however see attached photo for a copy of the T&Cs (second page)

there is no expiry date !

edit, the last two pages are out of sync please follow the numbering on the document bullet points

CF0D8893-4B16-4271-89D1-1A437FD15771.jpeg

25C06F52-D820-48A0-8475-BA7E79F5CC85.jpeg

A357BF27-697F-4A9D-AC50-6FAD6FAA3497.jpeg

35853165-99A4-44B0-A01D-9C3746EC57EA.jpeg

Last edited:
A link to a thread on this forum

Here it is from the horses mouth.

you have two years for each service you bought, before expiry.
i.e. If you bought two your first service would expire after two years, the next would expire two years later and so on

250B11B1-DE35-48B4-87F3-546604F50111.png

That is how I understand it. @Perfectos I am on my second 4 service plan used 1 so far and expecting to have one about every 18 months so should not have an issue

Here it is from the horses mouth.

you have two years for each service you bought, before expiry.
i.e. If you bought two your first service would expire after two years, the next would expire two years later and so on

View attachment 100433
those details show exactly how my plan has been working over the past three services with just one more due in about twenty months.

I also bought the service plan, coincidentally also from SMG Tonbridge in 2017. I can't remember why (possibly after reading something on these forums) but I decided to check with VW when the plan would expire. I was told 2021, i.e. after 4 years. I got the salesman to have a discussion with VW and it was later confirmed that I had bought a "buy 4 service plan" not a "4 year service plan" so effectively there was no expiry!

I also bought the service plan, coincidentally also from SMG Tonbridge in 2017. I can't remember why (possibly after reading something on these forums) but I decided to check with VW when the plan would expire. I was told 2021, i.e. after 4 years. I got the salesman to have a discussion with VW and it was later confirmed that I had bought a "buy 4 service plan" not a "4 year service plan" so effectively there was no expiry!
Having read all these responses I am quite angry. I bought my van from SMG Tonbridge so would have bought the same service plan that you purchased (RoB5urf). I am fuming, as VWFS just shut me down saying they were not prepared to discuss the matter, except to say an end date of 4 years was ”assumed”. I dont think the agents in the call centre even understand what a variable service plan is. Whilst I bought my van from SMG, I don’t have it serviced there and I take my my van to Breeze Havant for servicing and it was them who said they checked the computer and told me the contract had ended in 2021.
Thanks Perfectos for providing all the documentation copies. I didn’t get any of this when I purchased the service plan.
where do I go from here? I want to get back the cost of that full service I paid for, over £300.

Try emailing them the details, stating that the vehicle tells you when the service is required.

“Assume“ is not a definition that has any legal bearing.

VWFS cannot legally take your money, regarding an agreement with no expiry date, then close your account because they assume the period is four years. The documents provided by VWFS do not state an expiry date and therefore there is none. You quite rightly believed (because you were told so at point of sale) that you had purchased 4 services to be taken when the Vans in built monitoring system tells you when you have the services done, as in the marketing BS VW state is a benefit to save you money and provide surety of future costs in regard to your vehicle running costs.A monitoring system VW specifically designed to make service periods variable and as long as possible between services “saving you money”

VWFS are in very thin ice legally.
Trading standards or AN other consumer Champion should be your next step I think, provide them with as much info as possible.

details of VWFS :

All Commercial Vehicles finance enquiries are handled by our Commercial Vehicles Financial Services Team their contact details are below:

Commercial Vehicles Financial Services (UK) Limited
One Delaware Drive
Tongwell
Milton Keynes
MK15 8HG

Email: customerservices@vwfs.co.uk
Telephone: 0370 010 2080 (8am-8pm MondayFriday, 9am-5pm Saturday)

To assist you they will need you to provide them with the following information:

• Commercial Vehicles Finance Agreement Number
• Vehicle Chassis/VIN
• Postcode
• Your Contact Number

i hope that helps

For completeness, the service plan agreement wording :

“Contract period: From the date of the agreement until the date of completion of the 2nd of the following 2 consecutive services.”
“This plan can be transferred to the next owner if your vehicle has been sold”

T&Cs
“Contract period: means the contract period stated in this agreement “

therefore the end of the agreement is after the 2nd consecutive service has been completed (no Expiry).

check the wording of your agreement (it may differ, but I doubt it)

I hope this helps

Thanks for all your help Perfectos. However I either didn’t get, or cannot find the contract paper work that you were provided with at the time of purchase. Nevertheless, I would have had the same deal as you. I’ve raised a case with VWFS but they just weren’t interested and closed the case. I need to call SMG Tonbridge as they sold me the contract.

Thanks for all your help Perfectos. However I either didn’t get, or cannot find the contract paper work that you were provided with at the time of purchase. Nevertheless, I would have had the same deal as you. I’ve raised a case with VWFS but they just weren’t interested and closed the case. I need to call SMG Tonbridge as they sold me the contract.
I don't know if you had any sort of VW finance on the vehicle? If you did & sign up to the online account it shows details of any service agreements attached to the relevant vehicles. My account still lets me see details of 3 Californias, one Vw car & 2 Porsches that Ive had over the last 10 years or so.

Get a copy of the paperwork (as Andy suggests) read the wording, if it’s as unambiguous as mine you have a legal standing as VW are In breach of the agreement, VW‘s wording of the agreement (as in my post above) is clear and unambiguous.
It has a start date, it has an end date “ until the date of completion of the 2nd of the following 2 consecutive services”

Last edited:
Check your inbox for anything from "Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Service"

My agreement was sent to me after i took it out with the following heading / subject line

"Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Service Plan Purchase Confirmation - Agreement number xxxxxxxxxxxx"