Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flappy paddles on a Beach

Neil b

Neil b

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone,

We collected our new Beach yesterday and are delighted with it. Just one issue - I ordered the flappy paddles on the steering wheel and it has arrived without them. The dealer tells me that the Beach has never been available with the paddles and has therefore been supplied without. When ordering the vehicle the paddles were definitely shown on the online configurator and are still shown today!! At the time the dealer confirmed they were available and I have been charged for them. My question therefore is has anyone recently taken delivery of a Beach with the flappy paddles fitted?

Thanks for your help and here’s a photo of our new van...

746D5428-A63F-45EB-8471-A6C1B1B57C75.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only comment in relation to my current e350 amg Mercedes- it has a dynamic handling and drive train and I can honestly say I’ve never used the flappy paddles and IMHO your even less likely to miss them on a Cali :)

Nowhere near delivery for me, ordered a Beach last week - but I've done the same, ordered the 'sports' steering wheel with tiptronic, and at least can confirm that my order form tallies with what's currently on the configurator, so it's gone through to the factory with that option. I;m pretty sure my dealer (Guy in Preston) would have flagged it up to us if it was an error on the configurator - he seems to know his stuff.

Will be interesting to see what it turns up with.

Nice van, BTW:thumb

I think you would end up hardly using them in my experience (but that’s me) maybe get the money back for that extra and buy accessories for your beach! A VW dealer fitting them worries me lots.

I think you would end up hardly using them in my experience (but that’s me) maybe get the money back for that extra and buy accessories for your beach! A VW dealer fitting them worries me lots.

My new beach was delivered back in October and with the sports steering wheel option you get paddle gear shifters.. will post a pic of mine later today. Hope this helps.

My Beach has paddles.

Van Manufactured December 2018

I thought I would use the manual mode of the DSG box, but in practice never do, so don't worry about about the missing flappy paddles it is my advice.

I don't have the wheel paddles on my Beach Edition but I do use the Manual mode on the DSG fairly often so certainly would of liked them.

Sounds like your dealer submitted the order wrong and is trying to cover up!

Good luck on getting it resolved to your satisfaction.

So some use manual ,some don't.
Some want to be in, some don't.
Sounds like Brexit all over again!

Lovely van. Congratulations.

Why do you want flappy paddles on a Beach? The 150 ps is a great vehicle but it isn't a performance vehicle and I doubt if you would ever use them more than once. I had them on a previous vehicle and frankly, I forgot they were there. There are some accessories that are pointless and IMO FPs are In that category.

I forgot they were there. There are some accessories that are pointless and IMO FPs are In that catagory.
I agree entirely, you do forget that they're there.
complete waste of time and effort and a complete load
of crap.
Maybe acceptable on an Italian California :Stig:Stig:Stig

My Beach has paddles.

Van Manufactured December 2018
I think if you can live without the paddles the dealer will have to compensate you, probably with a bike rack/tow bar or other extra costing somewhat more than he invoiced for the missing paddles.

Many thanks for all your replies and advise. Its really interesting to hear of other Beaches with the paddles fitted. If anyone does have photos it would be really helpful for my discussion with the dealer on Monday....

We both normally drive manual cars, but when ordering last October only the DSG was available. We therefore added the paddles to give manual control if needed on tight twisting roads.

We both normally drive manual cars, but when ordering last October only the DSG was available. We therefore added the paddles to give manual control if needed on tight twisting roads.

We have a manual Cali, but have two other cars with DSG boxes. Have the paddles on one of them (an ex-demo car, didn't specify them) but after playing with them for 10 mins on day one, have never used them since.

I'd go for a DSG Cali next time but that would be to save the bother of changing gear all the time, especially on twisty mountain roads. Modern auto boxes like the VAG DSG version give you very good control and safety, IMO. And as Borris says, it's a van, not a sports car.

Photos of my Beach with multi function steering wheel and paddles

Happy to post more if that helps

025FC495-87CC-4781-A245-6F8A35457521.jpeg

8557A5B6-359B-4BD8-BBAD-199159BD9069.jpeg

6B8C01DC-1C1E-4747-8C36-9690A4C5DEA2.jpeg

EE69BB09-4374-459B-9B12-05691928488D.jpeg

We have a manual Cali, but have two other cars with DSG boxes. Have the paddles on one of them (an ex-demo car, didn't specify them) but after playing with them for 10 mins on day one, have never used them since.

I'd go for a DSG Cali next time but that would be to save the bother of changing gear all the time, especially on twisty mountain roads. Modern auto boxes like the VAG DSG version give you very good control and safety, IMO. And as Borris says, it's a van, not a sports car.
Agree, DSG lends itself to twisty and unfamiliar roads. Last thing I want to worry about on a dark wet night trying to find the farmyard campsite entrance is changing gear!

My Beach has paddles, and the van was manufactured September 2017.

Your Beach even has the uncomfortable dash to prove it was not picture of an Ocean inside, excellent work.

I have Flappy Paddles on a DSG. Come in handy to force engine breaking on long steep down hills. Don't regret ordering them but would not loose sleep if they were taken away. From the other responses sounds like the dealer messed up. If so you have two options, assuming they took the money for them, insist they provide you with the vehicle as per your contract or they return your money. If the latter I would look for some additional "sweeters" for letting you down and telling you an untruth.

When I was told that my Cali had paddles I replied "I want a camper not an ark!"..... I had to have it explained to me :(

We've got them on ours and I'd certainly order them again.

I find when cruising/coasting and need a rapid response then they come in really handy. They make overtaking a breeze.

You've got the convenience of DSG for long distance driving and the control of a manual when you want it.

Don't knock them until you've tried them.

Sure, you could live without them, but if you've paid for it I'd be pushing the dealer to get you a relacement steering wheel.

We've got them on ours and I'd certainly order them again.

I find when cruising/coasting and need a rapid response then they come in really handy. They make overtaking a breeze.

You've got the convenience of DSG for long distance driving and the control of a manual when you want it.

Don't knock them until you've tried them.

Sure, you could live without them, but if you've paid for it I'd be pushing the dealer to get you a relacement steering wheel.

Yes I agree

Just as devil's advocate... isn't that what the kick-down is for? (A feature of practically all auto boxes since the 1960s.) Although I agree the paddles allow you to drop down a gear before your floor the throttle if you want, which occasionally may be an advantage. But I think it depends a lot on your style of driving - I always had the 'flying pass' overtaking method drilled into me, years back, so I rarely do a 'sudden burst' overtake.**

But I still never bother with the paddles on our Q5 that has them, I just make sure I'm in sport mode any time I want to be 'pressing on' and I find the DSG box is then responsive enough in auto. May be different on a Cali.

** And, as I'm sure lots of us were told, as spotty youths when we first learnt to drive although almost certainly we weren't listening: "Never attempt to pass in this world by risking passing into the next." ;)