Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flashing 'G' and Electric Hook Up Symbol

S

Steve Hart

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi there, we are new Cali owners and have already been away three times already and only had it four weeks, absolutely loving it. We have a VW Cali Ocean, 2016 plate. On the control panel above your head at the front showing battery status, pop up roof controls etc its flashing G then electric hook up signal in the bottom right hand corner? I have looked in the manual and it states it is using the alternator, I think that's what it means anyway, any help appreciated to understand what that means and whether that's ok that it is doing that. Even when we had it plugged in on site over the weekend it was still doing it? My first post and glad to be a member. Many thanks. Steve

:welcome Hi there, I think your flashing symbol is indicating your leisure batteries need charging. Are you on hook up? Have you charged the batteries since you got your Cali?

Speedy response thank you :thumb No back home now so should I hook up and leave to charge overnight do you think?

It is recommended to charge for 24 hours once a month even if not camping etc.

edit - beaten to it.:thumb

In case you have damaged the batteries by letting them get too low, do some searching on the forum for leisure batteries.

Thank you both impressed with such a great response. There is 80% on the leisure battery so will charge now and so should be fine. Have a great weekend.

Hi there, we are new Cali owners and have already been away three times already and only had it four weeks, absolutely loving it. We have a VW Cali Ocean, 2016 plate. On the control panel above your head at the front showing battery status, pop up roof controls etc its flashing G then electric hook up signal in the bottom right hand corner? I have looked in the manual and it states it is using the alternator, I think that's what it means anyway, any help appreciated to understand what that means and whether that's ok that it is doing that. Even when we had it plugged in on site over the weekend it was still doing it? My first post and glad to be a member. Many thanks. Steve
The Control Panel is a simple computer and can get its kn*****s in a twist.
The Plug symbol shows the vehicle is plugged into the Mains and is charging while the G symbol shows the Engine Alternator is Charging the batteries. Only 1 symbol should be showing or nothing if the vehicle is not plugged into the Mains or the Ignition Off.

Normally simply fixed by one of the following.

1. Reset Control Panel by pressing the L lower button. Screen goes blank. Wait 30 secs and press L lower button. VW logo shows then normal screen.

If you still have a problem then try this.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

I had exactly the same issue show in my Cali earlier this week.

I checked online and apparently it is a fairly common issue.

Simply turn the control panel off and switch back on (using the I/O power button).

It worked for me.

Exactly as Welshgas has said here.

Last edited:
If a icon is flashing , this usual means some kind of error.

If a icon is flashing , this usual means some kind of error.
Yes normally.

But is a common known issue.

Alternating flashing of G and plug symbol on display.

Cali not on hookup.

As has been said by Welshgas and myself above.....switch off control panel, and switch back on.

Ok , but if it was a flashing icon there most likely was an error at some point , you now solved the warning (flashing icon) by resetting it but there's a chance you might have it again .

Ok , but if it was a flashing icon there most likely was an error at some point , you now solved the warning (flashing icon) by resetting it but there's a chance you might have it again .
I had the same error at the start of last week.

I have vcds diagnostics.

No errors were showing when the lights were flashing, and no errors are still showing after the power off/on reset.

It is just a quirk of the software that manages the control panel.

But of course, I will keep an eye on things.

I have this almost every time I plug my solar charger on the rear cigarette lighter plug. The reset trick fixes the problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back