Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flashing warning. Any ideas pls?

G

gatvol

At the upper right of the camper control unit display there is a flashing symbol I have not noticed before.

It is Just to the left of the "fridge on" star symbol, and directly above the battery charge percentage readout. It is a LCD picture of a front on Cali with a thermometer next to it

It flashes when the roof is up, and when it is down. Similarly, turning the fridge on or off does not change it either. I took my Cali out of my garage for the first time in about a week today and this has been flashing all day

Thanks for any wisdom you may be able to share

Page 13 of the 2011 Cali Supliment shows the picture you describe - front on Cali - with a thermometer next to it.

But the words just say "Outside Temperature Display (when the vehicle is stationary with the engine switched off)"

No mention of it flashing - could it just be that it is very hot, or the temperature sensor is faulty?

T

Well. Parked up the van overnight with the fridge on inside my garage. This morning the thing was still flashing both before and after I moved the van out.

I turned the fridge on and off. Still flashing

Then I turned the ccu off and on. Last night this did nothing. Nth is morning it seemed to do the trick.

My guess is a 750 bill in 6 months time.

I had the same, took it to a VW Van Centre, response "It's Outside Temperature Display, would have to check the complete wiring loom, would cost a lot of money to check/repair". This is of course what the book states "Outside Temperature Display". Since then I noticed some wiring has come loose/hanging from the waste water pipe. No damage around the area, it hasn't been knocked or bumped from driving so no idea how this wire is now loose. Please check yours to see if you have the same problem as this could also be the issue.

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

The outside temp sender is under that cover near the waste water outlet.

I had the same, took it to a VW Van Centre, response "It's Outside Temperature Display, would have to check the complete wiring loom, would cost a lot of money to check/repair". This is of course what the book states "Outside Temperature Display". Since then I noticed some wiring has come loose/hanging from the waste water pipe. No damage around the area, it hasn't been knocked or bumped from driving so no idea how this wire is now loose. Please check yours to see if you have the same problem as this could also be the issue.

View attachment 17085

View attachment 17086
I took a look under that cover some time ago just to see where the waste water came out.
I found the same wire dangling with some sort of electrical device on the end , I still have no idea what it is but i do remember cable tying it up to the chassis to get it out of the flow of waste water.

I took a look under that cover some time ago just to see where the waste water came out.
I found the same wire dangling with some sort of electrical device on the end , I still have no idea what it is but i do remember cable tying it up to the chassis to get it out of the flow of waste water.
The outside temp sender is under that cover near the waste water outlet.
Thanks for this. My concern is no one at VW have been able to acknowledge what this cable does or where it connects to, and the flashing "Campervan with Thermometer" is still flashing and no one can advise why it suddenly appeared. A bit like why this wiring suddenly came lose and now the sensors for my fresh water tank and waste water tank no longer work?

View attachment 17086

Could it be a rodent problem?

Could it be a rodent problem?
Thanks for this suggestion. Whilst it could be, the confusing matter is the wires at the end aren't eaten or chewed, they look like they have come away from some connection point, and it is that I would like to know from where it has come from. The fact that VW don't know is concerning me. The little section where there is bare wire could of course be from a rodent.

The sensor probably became detached, fell down and subsequently came off flapping in the wind..

It looks the wires have been ripped out of a connector in the picture. Have you been over rough ground at all?
Difficult to see how the wire could have caught something though without damaging something else underneath.

Thanks for this suggestion. Whilst it could be, the confusing matter is the wires at the end aren't eaten or chewed, they look like they have come away from some connection point, and it is that I would like to know from where it has come from. The fact that VW don't know is concerning me. The little section where there is bare wire could of course be from a rodent.
Plug 14 is for the External Temperature Sensor.
http://etka.cc/vw/part_single/catal...972/subcategory/972090/part_id/3707698/lang/e

Is there a photo of the sensor itself anywhere?

Is there a photo of the sensor itself anywhere?
I'm not sure, but I think it looks like this and should be clipped under the plastic protector near the Waste Tank outlet.
IMG_0163.jpg

That is it. But there is a connector on the end of the cable that plugs into it. Looks like Traveller has lost the lot.

Don't go to a VW Commercial Van dealer. They don't usually know anything about the camping part of a Cali and usually make excuses to avoid dealing with them. Your nearest VW Leisure Vehicle centre is the best bet.

Alan

That is it. But there is a connector on the end of the cable that plugs into it. Looks like Traveller has lost the lot.

Don't go to a VW Commercial Van dealer. They don't usually know anything about the camping part of a Cali and usually make excuses to avoid dealing with them. Your nearest VW Leisure Vehicle centre is the best bet.

Alan
Hi Alan (And all),
Thanks for this. Yes, our experience has been the Van Centres have been really quite poor and we have been extremely disappointed. I have no idea how this has happened, I have no connectors at all, just what you see from the picture, it was actually hanging a lot further than you see, I've just tucked it up a little. I will see about our nearest VW Leisure Vehicle Centre to try and fix this. Thanks all for your help.

Alan
Hi Alan, any idea where this would be? I can only find Van Centres near me. We are in Sussex? Thanks for your help.

Maybe find someone to do a VCDS scan & see if any faults show up ? A few members have VCDS.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Alan, any idea where this would be? I can only find Van Centres near me. We are in Sussex? Thanks for your help.
VWUK appoint certain Van Centres as Leisure Vehicle Centres, such as Heritage in Bristol and Breeze in Poole.

I would guess that the Southern Motor Group may be the best option for you as they are in Horsham, West Sussex if that is near.
http://www.smgvw.co.uk/

Alan

This must be a fairly common problem (on T5's & T6's) with the fixing for these things coming adrift. (its a bit tempermental :mad: )
The temp probe on my T6 eroded away after it came adrift & it did a short trip testing road temperature. I am hoping to get new one fitted (properly) when it goes in to have its other warranty issues sorted.

Back