Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fly Screen Problem

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi,
I am not sure that this should be here but it seemed the most appropriate. Forgive me if it is in the wrong place.
I have a newly purchased fly screen that fits in the sliding window over the kitchen. I think that it is a Brandrupp but I cannot find any info about it on th e web. It is not the ususalBranrupp Flyout which fits with Velcro, this is a rigid frame, black.

It fits into the opening when the sliding window is opened. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it in but once in looks good except that the wind blows it inwards at the front end. This shouldn't happen so I must be fitting it wrongly some how, does anyone have any experience of this and can help please?

We are in France at the moment

Many thanks

The little prongs should push behind the trim on the window to hold it in place. Ill photograph it at lunchtime.

Thanks Matt,
I have tried pushing in the prongs so a photo would help. As time goes by age seems to make these things more difficult!!

dd895319d0b0824aa28e81452b1c7c0b.jpg

I find if the window is locked in place it won't move but between locking points the thing will slide easily back and forth. There is a little rail it goes behind and the tab goes between the trim as above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Folks I have now viewed the video (rather jerky on the internet here) I have been fitting it in the wrong way which may explain the problem. We have just had a huge thunderstorm here so I will go back to the van and practice in the morning. We are at Tournon ( St Jean de Muzols Camping Le Castelet)
Thanks again
Oh ps thanks for your comment Madwoman but, probably due to the internet it didn't arrive. Must go getting cold.

The temperature was 17 this morning so we have moved south to a site on the Ardeche river, Camping Le Mas who have a good internet.
The screen has just been fitted after travelling.
a) I realise now that I had not pushed the little prongs into the frame. So thanks Matt for your photo really helpful.
b) Having wrestled with fixing it from the inside as per your video Wim I found fitting it from the outside, with the window partly opened was easier.
C) apologies to Madwomanne for getting your name wrong yesterday ( great name by the way) and to Larrylamb for the absence of pictures.
So thank you all for your brilliant responses, the window screen is up, the Brandrupp door screen is up, we are fly free and Mrs Davidofhook (outside under the tree ) is suggesting that we need a gin an d tonic and, as it is now 4.45 I have enthusiastically agreed

@DavidofHook ,
If you are + this site
IMG_6316.PNG

You are less then 100km from us , we are current at Grosspiers next to Vallon Pont d'Arc(been here the whole week)
Will be passing there tomorrow (friday) on our way to Beaumes des Venise in the Provence.

@DavidofHook ,
If you are + this site
View attachment 23199

You are less then 100km from us , we are current at Grosspiers next to Vallon Pont d'Arc
Will be passing there tomorrow (friday) on our way to Beaumes des Venise in the Provence.
That's the one Wim,
Vallon Pont d'Arche is a bit far for us on our bikes, especially going up the Gorge. The best we can manage is St Martin just up the river from here but we would be delighted to see you here. It is very quiet but we have been coming here for years.

We visit Grosspiere once or twice a year , usual in the hollydayhouse witch my mother in-law rents of good friends of her's .
My brother in-law lives in Beaumes des Venises head to there tomorrow .
Back to Belgium on sathurday.

We visit Grosspiere once or twice a year , usual in the hollydayhouse witch my mother in-law rents of good friends of her's .
My brother in-law lives in Beaumes des Venises head to there tomorrow .
Back to Belgium on sathurday.
Your brother in law has style!

Understand. Have a bonne vacance until Saturday

David

Post Script.
Sitting outside the van being warmed by the afternoon sun and thinking about my evening G&T when I heard "David, David, there's a hornet in the van". We are not formal when camping so I don't insist on being called davidofhook and it did sound like am emergency so, putting aside my thoughts of the G&T and went to the van to find a huge hornet trying to fly out of the fly screens over the cab.
I immediately used my Andy Murray skills and batted to wards the door with the result that it flew dangerously near my legs and back up to the fly screen. Mrs davidofhook then demonstrated the grit and determination that I have been training her for all our married lives and ruthlessly smashed it with the fly swot and it flew out of the door.
And the lesson to be learnt is....., even if you have got the best Brandrupp Flyouts for door and window, as we have, and if you don't use them, as we hadn't, the then the little beasts are going to get in.

Back