Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fog light fact...

antonio buffa

antonio buffa

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
After nearly two years of Cali owning I just realised an interesting fact that I am not sure all of us will know ( or indeed be interested in...! ): I occasionally caught glimpse of my front fog lights coming on when driving just in front of a reflective surface and turning the van round a corner, and never understood what was going on. Today I was driving in front of a fellow WV transporter driver for a while and looking in the back mirror I noticed that every time he turned round a corner/bend the corresponding side fog light would fade on whilst turning and off when the turning was complete. WV must have thought that throwing a bit of extra light onto the new direction you are taking would help...

After nearly two years of Cali owning I just realised an interesting fact that I am not sure all of us will know ( or indeed be interested in...! ): I occasionally caught glimpse of my front fog lights coming on when driving just in front of a reflective surface and turning the van round a corner, and never understood what was going on. Today I was driving in front of a fellow WV transporter driver for a while and looking in the back mirror I noticed that every time he turned round a corner/bend the corresponding side fog light would fade on whilst turning and off when the turning was complete. WV must have thought that throwing a bit of extra light onto the new direction you are taking would help...
Normal and only works at low speed. Can’t remember the cut off speed.

We only became aware after parking up and a chap walked up and said one of your lights are out. When we checked all the lights out they worked fine, we worked out it was most likely a special cornering feature which we now realise is in a number of VW vehicles.

Total waste of space. It does not help you see round corners and potentially confuses people who might mistake it for a direction indicator. And, they are not LED

I always figured it was to light up low obstacles like curves and things when you take a corner, so you wouldn't hit anything that;s quite low

I always figured it was to light up low obstacles like curves and things when you take a corner, so you wouldn't hit anything that;s quite low

'curves' was meant to be 'curbs' :)

Total waste of space. It does not help you see round corners and potentially confuses people who might mistake it for a direction indicator. And, they are not LED
Very useful when manoeuvring at low speeds in unlit areas and in the uk direction indicators are amber/orange and are intermittent so I don’t see the confusion there.

Back