Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chair incident

steve_ford

steve_ford

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I recently had a small incident with one of the integrated folding chairs on my T6, involving wind and a camp fire. Needlesss to say VW want a ridiculous amount to replace the whole chair when all I need is the back canvas. Is anybody aware of somebody who may sell components or themselves have an old one that the back can be salvaged from?IMG_5403.jpg

I recently had a small incident with one of the integrated folding chairs on my T6, involving wind and a camp fire. Needlesss to say VW want a ridiculous amount to replace the whole chair when all I need is the back canvas. Is anybody aware of somebody who may sell components or themselves have an old one that the back can be salvaged from?View attachment 46324
Is he the Culprit?

I recently had a small incident with one of the integrated folding chairs on my T6, involving wind and a camp fire. Needlesss to say VW want a ridiculous amount to replace the whole chair when all I need is the back canvas. Is anybody aware of somebody who may sell components or themselves have an old one that the back can be salvaged from?View attachment 46324
Complete Chair or you could go for a Brandrup padded cover. Doesn't have to be removed once fitted.

Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 11.17.37.jpg

Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 11.17.19.jpg

We bought a second hand one on here as they occasionally come up for sale.

Wow, you’re so young, and driving, lighting camp fires already! :oops:

There were two listed on Ebay a few days ago. may still be available.

I think someone on this forum posted a link to some replacement chairs that fit nicely in the tailgate slots. much cheaper. (will post the link here if I can find it)

No idea myself why these chairs cost so much -- I find the cheapo £7 decathlon one I have much more comfy

Hi,
Have you tried the original equipment manufacturer, I expect he is the same as very helpfully sends across spare nylon bushes etc. This is wolfgang’s Footer when he replaced some seat spares. Accept geography might be an issue!

Hope that helps

Ken

Slightly off topic but I’ve seen your van in Norwich when I’m walking from station towards the castle at approx 8-25am when I’m in Norwich - nice two tone :thumb

Hello, the chair arrived. It's the kind of quality you would expect for £14.99 (i.e. cheapo)

Got it off ebay.
Comfort about the same as the VW ones (i.e. not very comfortable).

I'm sorry I've not checked whether it fits (looks like it will) & I"m now away from home for a week on a business trip(sorry). Promise to check when I get back if no-one's done so before me.

I managed to repair my VW chair in the interim of ordering this chair, hence why I didn't check it.

Pack of four arrived today - £12.50 each.

They fold really flat, and I can confirm that they fit in the chair bag. I was briefly optimistic that all four would fit, but, alas, no. It would require the removal of some polystyrene padding at the back of the chair bag to fit all four, something I am not prepared to do.

The chairs have the look and feel of £12.50 camping chairs, (compared with the £120 VW chair which has the look and feel of a £25 chair), and I'm not sure that I will be prepared to risk my bulk in them for any length of time. However, our boys' chairs are really grubby, so these will be an excellent replacement for them with two spare chairs for the odd occasion when we go for a picnic as a group of six. The fact that they fold so flat is a real bonus when packing the van. Unfortunately, they are about 1cm too wide to fit on their sides under the Beach multiflex.

Dimensions:
1 chair: 69 x 54 x 5 cm
4 chairs: 69 x 54 x 17.5 cm

My rating for the £12.50 chair
5/5 for price
2/5 for quality
5/5 for pack size
2/5 for comfort
14/20 overall

By comparison
My rating for the £120 VW chair
0/5 for price
4/5 for quality
2/5 for pack size
4/5 for comfort
10/20 overall

Last edited:
Pack of four arrived today - £12.50 each.

They fold really flat, and I can confirm that they fit in the chair bag. I was briefly optimistic that all four would fit, but, alas, no. It would require the removal of some polystyrene padding at the back of the chair bag to fit all four, something I am not prepared to do.

The chairs have the look and feel of £12.50 camping chairs, (compared with the £120 VW chair which has the look and feel of a £25 chair), and I'm not sure that I will be prepared to risk my bulk in them for any length of time. However, our boys' chairs are really grubby, so these will be an excellent replacement for them with two spare chairs for the odd occasion when we go for a picnic as a group of six. The fact that they fold so flat is a real bonus when packing the van. Unfortunately, they are about 1cm too wide to fit on their sides under the Beach multiflex.

Dimensions:
1 chair: 69 x 54 x 5 cm
4 chairs: 69 x 54 x 17.5 cm

My rating for the £12.50 chair
5/5 for price
2/5 for quality
5/5 for pack size
2/5 for comfort
14/20 overall

By comparison
My rating for the £120 VW chair
0/5 for price
4/5 for quality
2/5 for pack size
4/5 for comfort
10/20 overall

Agree although didn’t notice much difference in comfort.

Back