Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chairs - any recommendations?

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am looking for a comfortable folding chair that I can carry with me for relaxing in and reading a book/doing my craft projects. Something supportive which folds down easily and isn't too heavy. The Cali chairs in the boot are OK for sitting in at the table or for short periods of time but are quite upright. Any recommendations please?

When we go away knowing the weather will be enjoyable enough to sit outside we take our home garden chairs , Lafuma ones....
They can both be stored flat on top of the rear metal shelve , we don't take any matrass on there doh!
IMG_6339.JPG

If you want something lightweight and comfortable which folds up really small I recommend the Helinox sunset chair. I use one for motorcycle touring, but also leave it in my Cali as it is so useful for providing an extra seat. I find it so comfortable I prefer it to the standard Cali chair.

https://www.helinox.com.au/lightweight-camping-chairs/sunset-chair

I can highly recommend the Coleman Sling Chair. Not the lightest around, but sturdy and supportive with a high back, yet still portable in a bag with shoulder strap. Comfortable and relaxing, and can be more upright (eg for eating at a table), by adding a cushion for extra back support. Ideal campsite chair and just fits widthways behind the Cali bench seat.

Coleman Sling Chair

On Amazon
The khaki colour is a light-ish tone; it doesn't come in grey.

I used to get back ache in some other folding chairs but I've never had any problems with the Sling chair.

If you want something lightweight and comfortable which folds up really small I recommend the Helinox sunset chair. I use one for motorcycle touring, but also leave it in my Cali as it is so useful for providing an extra seat. I find it so comfortable I prefer it to the standard Cali chair.

https://www.helinox.com.au/lightweight-camping-chairs/sunset-chair

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one in Swedish Blue :thumb Very expensive but so lightweight and compact that I think I will use it a lot, not only with the camper. The optional rocking feet look really great too but one thing at a time :)

I have just taken the plunge and ordered one in Swedish Blue :thumb Very expensive but so lightweight and compact that I think I will use it a lot, not only with the camper. The optional rocking feet look really great too but one thing at a time :)

I hope you find it as comfortable and useful as I do.

Would be interested to hear your feedback once you have it, especially compared to the VW Chairs.

Would be interested to hear your feedback once you have it, especially compared to the VW Chairs.

Will let you know.. I don't find the VW ones particularly comfortable for relaxing or very transportable. I am thinking that if I like the Helinox chair I might remove one of the VW ones and use the space to put other things such as the Thule sun panel, mat etc...

If anyone is interested, we have two Helinox chairs for sale, hardly used. Send me a PM for details.
51Ty3FgOpnL._AC_US218_.jpg

SOLD!

Last edited:
Halfords have an offer .... £15 for an "urban " chair, just bought one and it feels great

B0CC5C33-3496-42EB-874B-C17503FC3095.jpeg New chair arrived today and I love it!
So compact and light. Easy to assemble and fits easily back in the bag plus I love the colour which goes with the van interior!! My step makes a useful footrest and you can use the bag the chair comes is as a headrest, stuffed with a fleece or similar.
The dimensions of the chair are not huge and I’m not sure how someone of the weight limit of 145 kg would get on but it is a decent height so easy to get out of even with dodgy knees.
It doesn’t have armrests which to me is a bonus as I like doing crafty stuff and they get in the way. Some might prefer them though.
Best of all I can put it anywhere in the van at any time.
SO tempted to get the rocking feet. Maybe for Christmas :)

View attachment 36780 New chair arrived today and I love it!
So compact and light. Easy to assemble and fits easily back in the bag plus I love the colour which goes with the van interior!! My step makes a useful footrest and you can use the bag the chair comes is as a headrest, stuffed with a fleece or similar.
The dimensions of the chair are not huge and I’m not sure how someone of the weight limit of 145 kg would get on but it is a decent height so easy to get out of even with dodgy knees.
It doesn’t have armrests which to me is a bonus as I like doing crafty stuff and they get in the way. Some might prefer them though.
Best of all I can put it anywhere in the van at any time.
SO tempted to get the rocking feet. Maybe for Christmas :)
you don't like arm rests because you like doing crafty stuff? I hope your talking about shuffling cards or something

When we go away knowing the weather will be enjoyable enough to sit outside we take our home garden chairs , Lafuma ones....
They can both be stored flat on top of the rear metal shelve , we don't take any matrass on there doh!
View attachment 36421
We have Lafuma chairs but I don't like the way you can't have your feet up unless the back is down. I like to sit up with my feet up.

I have the more basic ones, with footrest and can holders, but thinking of getting two of these beauties for 70$ as well.

I am looking for a comfortable folding chair that I can carry with me for relaxing in and reading a book/doing my craft projects. Something supportive which folds down easily and isn't too heavy. The Cali chairs in the boot are OK for sitting in at the table or for short periods of time but are quite upright. Any recommendations please?

just do not leave them on your pitch when you go out for the day.

Does the Westfiled chair fit in the back door in place of a standard Cali chair? Or any of the other chairs mentioned? Richard

Does the Westfiled chair fit in the back door in place of a standard Cali chair? Or any of the other chairs mentioned? Richard
No, but we put Outwell Baffin stools in there with the standard Cali chair. Makes for a good footstool and extra table.

Auberg-ine is the expert on how to fit it all in...

Back