Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chimney starter?

morayfirthdreams

morayfirthdreams

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can anyone recommend a folding charcoal chimney starter? Seen a couple of designs on Amazon under various brands, but they all seem to have questionable longevity. I use Weber starters at home but looking for something more compact for in the Cali

There’s a compact Weber version that fits inside the Weber Go Anywhere

I've got both the standard and compact Weber starters, looking for something foldable

Why use a starter?
Decent quality charcoal (Big K) and lighting fluid.

Easy.

In fact, go for the Big K individual wrapped bags and you don’t even need fluid.

Firelighter & natural charcoal should be enough, you could initially add a bit of kindling (dried twigs etc).

If you struggle you could pack a small blowtorch to speed up the process!

88B7CE59-1C41-4175-AC1A-879ED8BD2E6D.png

I don't use fluid or instant light fuel, so those aren't options for me. Briquettes suit my style of cooking from the van due to the consistency of heat offered and the ability to easily place the fuel on top of my dutch oven.

I successfully used the 'pyramid method' for years before I picked up a chimney, so am not averse to going back to that - apart from laziness!

I don't use fluid or instant light fuel, so those aren't options for me. Briquettes suit my style of cooking from the van due to the consistency of heat offered and the ability to easily place the fuel on top of my dutch oven.

I successfully used the 'pyramid method' for years before I picked up a chimney, so am not averse to going back to that - apart from laziness!

I got this one from eBay, to go with my small Madkon folding BBQ. They both fit on the bottom shelf of the rear cupboard. I think it was cheaper when I bought it, but there are similar on Amazon. I haven't had any issues and it gets going quickly. I use lumpwood charcoal and wear a heat glove when tipping out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254908909158