Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding mirrors

california kid

california kid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all.

Do any California owners suffer with one folding mirror sticking, only by going through the sequence closing and then opening again does the mirror
work.
Any suggestions on a fix, or is this a Dealer Visit.
Maybe the Vw Guru could give his view point?
Thank you in advance.

Alan.

This happens to me once every few months. I just close open close open with the switch a few times and then it's okay for a few months more.
IMO it's not worth taking it to the dealer as it won't do it for them and it's not a mirror issue as its not always the same side. The Body control unit sends the signal to the door controller to tell it to open the mirror.

Last edited:
I had a new Kombi which did it quite a lot. I took it back to the dealers and they said they reset it ???? but after they did it I only ever folded the mirrors using the door switch never the key fob. I now have a new Cali and to be honest do the same with this but since having the Cali 3 months not had a problem

Hi all.

Do any California owners suffer with one folding mirror sticking, only by going through the sequence closing and then opening again does the mirror
work.
Any suggestions on a fix, or is this a Dealer Visit.
Maybe the Vw Guru could give his view point?
Thank you in advance.

Alan.
Is it a Mechanical or Electronic failure.?

Can you hear the Mirror Motor trying to close but failing?

I had the problem on my T5.1. You could hear the motor trying to move the mirror on the occasions it didn't fold. Replaced under Warranty.

yes mine does it also - when coming out of the garage ill fold them down, only one will go, then when turning knob other way they go opposite each other. Crazy. Not done it for a while though

I'm glad it's not just me!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi All.
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
I am not sure if it is mechanical or electrical. I just use the switch a couple of times
to get them to function correctly.
As has already been mentioned, mine also is intermittent.
Due for a oil change in a couple of weeks hopefully will speak the the VW Guru and get his advice.:thanks

Alan

Mine does too, always near side. I asked VW to look at it but of course it wouldn’t do it for them..

Hi,
I had an identical problem with my Cali. It would do the one up one down thing intermittently, but eventually it got worse until it was at the stage where one mirror wouldn't fold up unless you tried it 4 or 5 times. My local dealer was very helpful in trying to resolve it though. Initially, they changed the control unit, which didn't resolve the issue. In the end, they replaced the entire mirror, and it's been fine ever since. All done under warranty! :)

Mine has just started doing this (it's 5 years old now) but it's only happened twice. As a couple of tries switching them back and forth solved it - and obviously it wouldn't be a warranty job - I'm not going to worry about it at the moment, but good to hear I'm not the only one and hear your fixes.

My turn now! Cali was new July '19.
The N/S mirror is the problem never the O/S.
Close/Lock Cali with key fob, hold close button, windows close and mirrors fold. All good.
Unlock Cali with key fob, hold button, windows open mirrors stay folded. Put key in ignition and switch on, O/S mirror always unfolds, N/S intermittent. Turning door nob sometimes works, but can take a combination of retries 4/5 times to get mirror to unfold. Very annoying!
Exactly the same with alternative key (new battery).

My 2017 T6 kombi did the same, but my new Cali Ocean has never faulted but I always use the door switch not the key fob

Back