Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France help

K

Kathrynandpaul

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi I wonder if anyone can offer any insights. I am torn with route planning! I am planning on us (2 adults, kids 9 and 5) getting the ferry portsmouth to cherbourg on 25 May, and stay at either vendee or il de re. Then travel home on 3rd June. We could get 4:30 ferry home from caen for £520... Or go from calais and use club card vouchers so costing virtually £0. I am torn on the driving, it will be our first time in France. I can't decide whether the less driving is worth the money or not. My 2 kids won't do the whole 7 hrs to calais we need at least 1 night stopover, so I am thinking about 1-2 nights somewhere over half way to calais to make it worthwhile setting up (we are in a beach and will need to pop up the awning to store stuff to be able to sleep) . Any insights or recommendations for sites we could enjoy a couple of days in Northern Region? My head is fried trying to work this out so any help very welcome! Thanks all

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer any insights. I am torn with route planning! I am planning on us (2 adults, kids 9 and 5) getting the ferry portsmouth to cherbourg on 25 May, and stay at either vendee or il de re. Then travel home on 3rd June. We could get 4:30 ferry home from caen for £520... Or go from calais and use club card vouchers so costing virtually £0. I am torn on the driving, it will be our first time in France. I can't decide whether the less driving is worth the money or not. My 2 kids won't do the whole 7 hrs to calais we need at least 1 night stopover, so I am thinking about 1-2 nights somewhere over half way to calais to make it worthwhile setting up (we are in a beach and will need to pop up the awning to store stuff to be able to sleep) . Any insights or recommendations for sites we could enjoy a couple of days in Northern Region? My head is fried trying to work this out so any help very welcome! Thanks all
I find driving in France much easier than the UK, traffic density is far lower and I find them better behaved.
There is a great les castels site near Liseaux I use.

We went to Ile de re last year, great place. We also use Tesco Vouchers as it frees up cash for wine and oysters staying at this Castels site for the second time on our way to the west coast.
It’s really good value for a castels site and the English owners are great.

I was apprehensive the first time I drove in France but it was easy.
I find the more you plan the less likely you are to be surprised. I use google maps and mappy.

Google is good for looking at the roads using the satellite layer and street view. If you can keep the kids occupied driving in the UK then France should be Ok as things will be new to them.

If you book a free crossing you need to know if you can change it if there are any traffic problems. France are going though a spate of strikes.

I think there are ferries from Dieppe to Newhaven. Maybe worth a look or even add more to your confusion.

We went to Ile de re last year, great place. We also use Tesco Vouchers as it frees up cash for wine and oysters staying at this Castels site for the second time on our way to the west coast.
It’s really good value for a castels site and the English owners are great.
This looks fantastic thanks I'll have a proper look tonight.

"half way to calais to make it worthwhile setting up (we are in a beach and will need to pop up the awning to store stuff to be able to sleep) "

Have you considered your last night in a hotel that will sleep 4 in one room for example

Yes this is also a good option for a 1 night stop over I have been pondering that too, but also feeling if there is a lovely site to experience for a couple of nights on the way home it would be worth the effort.

When I used to go to France with a Caravan it was mostly to the area that you are going to.

I found that the easiest in terms of driving was Portsmouth to St Malo as it then put you on a straight run down with some non Toll routes. Night Ferry meant that sites could be driven to in one go.

Cheaper option was afternoon Ferry from Portsmouth to Caen then drive until about 11.30pm before overnight stop in a Service Aire after passing Avranches, wasn't another one until Rennes.

Not much driving difference from Cherbourg and Caen Ports.

Hello, I'm trying to understand, your being torn apart. So choose between driving 7 hours from Calais to say La Rochelle/ Île de Ré (just over Vendée) and paying nothing for the Ferry or paying over 500 pounds to drive hours to the Vendee as well. Only issue: you think you have to spend the night during that 7-hour drive and you need to be able to put out an awning. Ok then: If you choose Calais and want the overnight stay with awning, you will not be able to spend the night along the péage which I presume you will take. You’ll still have to leave the péage and go to a campsite but at the beginning of June these will certainly still have room so no problem. Anyway, I would recommend the alternative routes. Every other place you'll find through Park4Night, for example, doesn't really allow you to set up your awning. You do what you want of course and you can try to put out an awning, but that is not really the intention at those places. Then maybe try this: Camping-CAR Park.
I came to the UK many times and if I can drive there, you will also succeed in France.
If you would choose Île de Ré, you would have chosen the most touristic Île of the three (Île d’Oléron, Île de Noirmoutier are the other well known ones). I enjoyed all three of them but they are all very different.
Enjoy and don’t be torn :thumb

Last edited:
Hello, I'm trying to understand, your being torn apart. So choose between driving 7 hours from Calais to say La Rochelle/ Île de Ré (just over Vendée) and paying nothing for the Ferry or paying over 500 pounds to drive hours to the Vendee as well. Only issue: you think you have to spend the night during that 7-hour drive and you need to be able to put out an awning. Ok then: If you choose Calais and want the overnight stay with awning, you will not be able to spend the night along the péage which I presume you will take. You’ll still have to leave the péage and go to a campsite but at the beginning of June these will certainly still have room so no problem. Anyway, I would recommend the alternative routes. Every other place you'll find through Park4Night, for example, doesn't really allow you to set up your awning. You do what you want of course and you can try to put out an awning, but that is not really the intention at those places. Then maybe try this: Camping-CAR Park.
I came to the UK many times and if I can drive there, you will also succeed in France.
If you would choose Île de Ré, you would have chosen the most touristic Île of the three (Île d’Oléron, Île de Noirmoutier are the other well known ones). I enjoyed all three of them but they are all very different.
Enjoy and don’t be torn :thumb

Thanks, I might have a look at d'Oleron as well

Newhaven to Dieppe ferry is also worth considering, depending on where you are based; Driving on the toll roads as an absolute breeze.

Stopover in Le Mans. Can recommend below especially if you arrive late as they have a keypad for late arrivals, nice rooms & a good breakfast.

Last edited:
I agree with others comments suggesting hotels on the way back. Last summer we camped on the way down to Ile de Re from Cherbourg with an overnight stop at the municipal campsite at Redon (recommended by the way). Then went on to Narbonne with a hotel stop at Carcassonne and then on the way back hotels at Limoges and Bayeux. We were spending about €100 per night for a family room for four of us which were most welcome after the longer drives. So in nearly three weeks we did three hotels in interesting places and so only put up the awning on the longer stays in the main locations. I figure its meant to be a holiday and not too much hard work. If you choose to make the longer drive and save on the ferry, Rouen is also a lovely town to consider for a one night stop on the way to Calais. Hope this helps!

I agree with others comments suggesting hotels on the way back. Last summer we camped on the way down to Ile de Re from Cherbourg with an overnight stop at the municipal campsite at Redon (recommended by the way). Then went on to Narbonne with a hotel stop at Carcassonne and then on the way back hotels at Limoges and Bayeux. We were spending about €100 per night for a family room for four of us which were most welcome after the longer drives. So in nearly three weeks we did three hotels in interesting places and so only put up the awning on the longer stays in the main locations. I figure its meant to be a holiday and not too much hard work. If you choose to make the longer drive and save on the ferry, Rouen is also a lovely town to consider for a one night stop on the way to Calais. Hope this helps!
That is the advantage of a California over a big motorhome or caravan you are able to park in hotel carparks. You reminded me I should visit Carcassonne again.

That is the advantage of a California over a big motorhome or caravan you are able to park in hotel carparks. You reminded me I should visit Carcassonne again.
Don't need a hotel with a Caravan or motorhome.

Don't need a hotel with a Caravan or motorhome.
Don't you mean you Cannot use a hotel with a caravan or motorhome because they won't let you park there.

Don't you mean you Cannot use a hotel with a caravan or motorhome because they won't let you park there.
No, I merely mean that you have no reason to go to an Hotel to park whether they would let you or not is at their discretion if you did go there.
I have seen motorhomes parked at Hotels.

No, I merely mean that you have no reason to go to an Hotel to park whether they would let you or not is at their discretion if you did go there.
I have seen motorhomes parked at Hotels.
I have seen a car and caravan in a hotel carpark when it was very heavy rain but some hotel car parks are not accessible. Unfortunately there is one near Madrid airport that I do not even have the courage to take the van to, underground 2.10 m hight.

Last edited:
We are thinking of hotel in Rouen for 1 night actually - hotel is a good idea for a one nighter. Thanks

We are thinking of hotel in Rouen for 1 night actually - hotel is a good idea for a one nighter. Thanks
The reason for suggesting the night ferry to St Malo was that it gives an overnight bed giving a easy trip UK side then a fairly easy run down to Vendee area for arrival at sit in the afternoon for booking in.
No Hotels needed but cost put into ferry night extra costs.

I found that was the best method not to arrive needing a day to recover/wind down. All part of a complicated cost/convenience planning process. Good luck.

If you were able to travel in one hop from Liverpool you could overnight near Dover, there's a great little site at Solley's Ice Cream Farm near Deal a 15 minute drive from the ferry. https://www.solleys.co.uk/solleys-campsite/ We tend to overnight there before early morning ferries. In France when we were travelling with children, we used B&B Hotels an economical chain they are in most towns. https://www.hotel-bb.com/en Hope this helps.

Have a look at Isle D'Oleron. Had a great holiday there last year, food and cycling especially. Oleron is friendly and a bit less Parisien Posh than Ré.

Brilliant thanks everyone we have at least me booked our ferry trips - out to cherbourg, home via calais. Just deciding on sites and we are off! Very excited!

If you were able to travel in one hop from Liverpool you could overnight near Dover, there's a great little site at Solley's Ice Cream Farm near Deal a 15 minute drive from the ferry. https://www.solleys.co.uk/solleys-campsite/ We tend to overnight there before early morning ferries. In France when we were travelling with children, we used B&B Hotels an economical chain they are in most towns. https://www.hotel-bb.com/en Hope this helps.
Great tip thanks I'll have a look

The reason for suggesting the night ferry to St Malo was that it gives an overnight bed giving a easy trip UK side then a fairly easy run down to Vendee area for arrival at sit in the afternoon for booking in.
No Hotels needed but cost put into ferry night extra costs.

I found that was the best method not to arrive needing a day to recover/wind down. All part of a complicated cost/convenience planning process. Good luck.
That was our ideal but we left it too late and cabins were all booked up. We only got the van last month so not been able to advance plan this year. Next year we will book sooner and get the better more convenient ferry crossing, but we didn't want to miss out altogether so taking a slightly compromised route. Thanks ☺️

Back