Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Road Trip 2017

J

John Caunce

Cauncey
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi Guys,

Just got back from a 14 night trip around France. We had a plan (sort of) which we kept 'fluid' and amended as we went along.

In summary -

- Overnight Ferry from Portsmouth to St. Malo
- les Eyzies- de- Tayac- Sireull
- Carcassonne
- Gorge-du-Tarn
- Rocamadour
- Dune du Pilat
- les Sables-d'Olonne
- Sain Marcel (nr Giverney) - stopped at Le Mans on route
- Evening Ferry from Le Havre.

We had intended to get to Provence but didn't want to 'over-do' the driving. Generally the above moves where 3 to 4 hours with the odd 5 to 6.

Total miles 2137 / 3.75 tanks of fuel (ish)

Personally I preferred the more inland spots of Eyzies, Gorge du tarn and Rocamadour. The coast was nice but the landscape and sites in the central regions need to be seen. Also most of the rivers offer a beach environment if that's what you're after and kayaking these is a must do, with plenty of companies offering mini-bus transport for this.

I'd probably cut down the number of moves next time and stay longer in the nicer places.

Packing up and re-erecting the awning was ok but I'm not sure I'd bother with it next time. Had to take it down at 2am one night during a storm and we managed fine with just the sun-canopy for the following couple of days. The Beach has lots of room and with a bit of organisation and Mrs C taking less than 4 bags, we'd be fine with the canopy or maybe a wind out. The only plus side was we could leave the three -seat bed set-up between moves.

Will definitely do something similar again.

The only regret I have - I pondered fro 18 months before committing to swapping my car for the 3 seat Beach, I should have done it sooner. If you're looking at this site thinking of buying a Beach / SE / Ocean or T5 conversion - stop thinking and just do it!

I'll add some pics when I get a chance.

JC

Sounds like a great trip, and I personally agree with the inland / upland preference for rivers & trees relative to the coast, I think I'm about done with sandy holidays now :cool:

Good that you're working out your own trip preferences already, I found it an iterative process working things out for myself little by little one trip at a time & refining the kit list (usually downwards).

Sounds like a great trip. As @hirsty says we all work out our own way. But it's great to share experiences as well.

Get the pics on, be great to see.
We never used an awning when it was just the wife and I. Only reason I use one now, is because of the little one, with car seat etc. Gives us some extra space with him

Once you figure how to organise your Beach it becomes really easy to live with. We have had to re-adapt, but slowly it's coming together and getting easier again.

I will try and post a video on our next trip.