Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Roadtrip ideas

We have been campervanning in France for the past twelve years, since my son was four. If we have needed to make an overnight stop "en route" we have either used "Aires du Camping", which can be found in many towns and villages or parked up at services on a "Peage". The problem with aires is that the popular ones tend to fill up quite early, so don't seem to fit with your very late arrival. The toll motorways offer quite a high level of security, with video cameras recording entry and exit. The tickets make it clear that they are valid for twenty-four hours and most service areas have parking areas specifically for 'vans. Unlike in the UK, you will not be charged for staying longer than two hours; the French seem to take the ridiculous view that a tired driver should be encouraged to sleep for as long as necessary rather than pushing on, eyelids dropping, energy drink can clasped in hand!

My further observations are that if you want to tour and sightsee, northern France has many opportunities, in Britanny, Normandy, Picardy all of which offer interesting towns and countryside, within east reach of Calais. If you want some heat you may be best advised to get south of the Loire, either inland or on the Atlantic coast. Another post recommends the Cevennes, which we keep returning to, but it's fifteen hours or so from Calais, perhaps too far for a one-week trip. Wherever you end up, enjoy!

When regions like the Cévennes are recommended (beautiful there but indeed further), I have another tip that takes a bit driving (after my post with tips for the D940 route) and doable, 5-6 hours away, namely the Vosges. We had already driven through it many times and visited the region in July 2020 and it was a surprisingly pleasant rediscovery of the region. And something different. You will also experience the season in which you are and that is fun. What to do and see: Route des Crêtes, Le Grand Ballon with a view of the Alps (in clear weather) and much more; it's fun to drive around.
Do you like to drink wine? Make your move on the route des vins d'Alsace: it's located on the eastern slopes of the mountain range and next to it and about 170 km long, but be sure to visit Colmar as well.
Near Ottrott: the Sanctuaire du Mont Sainte-Odile (with a spring close to it that can apparently cure eye diseases). Then the concentration camp Natzweiler Struthof and Hartmannswillerkopf with monument 14-18; It is a region with a turbulent history. The Regional Natural Park of the Northern Vosges is also worth a visit. Special: Les Maisons des Rochers in Graufthal (rock dwellings). Visit a 'fortress': Fort of Mutzig / Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II in Dinsheim sur Bruche. Have a drink on the terrace at Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle, Orschwiller. Enjoy the beautiful view everywhere (for example from Le Hohneck, from Col de la Schlucht). As said: we were -again- amazed at how beautiful it is there. Oh, and then I forget Gérardmer, see pictures.
All this in seven days (and nights) and we come from Bruges, Belgium (a bit in distance like coming from Calais). We travel with two children so we leave every day rather late in the morning than early and have a slow van (T4 westfalia california from 1991 with 78 hp) ;)
Greetings
Calibusje
115711754_3401221379911581_2271781480660078332_n.jpg

Last edited:
I hope that someone has warned you about overnighting on motorway services. Those places are the most frequent ones for break-ins and theft. My son was similarly treated some years ago on one of these parking places!
Go and find a nice Aire off the beaten track, often discoverable on Search4Sites and other similar websites.
Thanks for the tip much appreciated
When regions like the Cévennes are recommended (beautiful there but indeed further), I have another tip that takes a bit driving (after my post with tips for the D940 route) and doable, 5-6 hours away, namely the Vosges. We had already driven through it many times and visited the region in July 2020 and it was a surprisingly pleasant rediscovery of the region. And something different. You will also experience the season in which you are and that is fun. What to do and see: Route des Crêtes, Le Grand Ballon with a view of the Alps (in clear weather) and much more; it's fun to drive around.
Do you like to drink wine? Make your move on the route des vins d'Alsace: it's located on the eastern slopes of the mountain range and next to it and about 170 km long, but be sure to visit Colmar as well.
Near Ottrott: the Sanctuaire du Mont Sainte-Odile (with a spring close to it that can apparently cure eye diseases). Then the concentration camp Natzweiler Struthof and Hartmannswillerkopf with monument 14-18; It is a region with a turbulent history. The Regional Natural Park of the Northern Vosges is also worth a visit. Special: Les Maisons des Rochers in Graufthal (rock dwellings). Visit a 'fortress': Fort of Mutzig / Feste Kaiser Wilhelm II in Dinsheim sur Bruche. Have a drink on the terrace at Haut-Koenigsbourg Castle, Orschwiller. Enjoy the beautiful view everywhere (for example from Le Hohneck, from Col de la Schlucht). As said: we were -again- amazed at how beautiful it is there. Oh, and then I forget Gérardmer, see pictures.
All this in seven days (and nights) and we come from Bruges, Belgium (a bit in distance like coming from Calais). We travel with two children so we leave every day rather late in the morning than early and have a slow van (T4 westfalia california from 1991 with 78 hp) ;)
Greetings
Calibusje
View attachment 88174
thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this information which is really helpful and I’m excited to visit some of your recommendations.

Stuart

Thanks for the tip much appreciated

thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this information which is really helpful and I’m excited to visit some of your recommendations.

Stuart
My pleasure, I like to do this and also takes me back to the journey I made. I also have a post here about the route départementale D940 and about what rod_vw says ;)
Greetings and enjoy!

If you donlt fancy the motorway and want a quiet Aire, have a look here
Aire de camping car du Haut-Pont SAINT OMER

We've stayed here. Quiet. Out of the way. Easy for Calais. Cost was one Euro, but the ticket machin was broken.

You could’ve warned us about the train track…
Crikey, I thought the train was gonna rip through the van…o_O

Google maps is your friend in these instances, especially satellite view followed by street view. I nearly always look on there to see what is around such stopping places.

Google maps is your friend in these instances, especially satellite view followed by street view. I nearly always look on there to see what is around such stopping places.

Other than the train. It was a nice looking aire. Felt safe enough and just 4/5 campers.

I'm so sorry - I don't remember there being a train problem!

I'm so sorry - I don't remember there being a train problem!

Don’t worry.
We had a laugh about it…
Didn’t get to see the town as it was dark when we arrived and still quite dark when we left. On the way out, there seemed to be a nice river with cycle path running alongside. Might go back at some point.

Ile de Ré, Camping La Grainetière
Small island reach by toll bridge off La Rochelle.
Brilliant site, very modern shower block and great pool area which can be totally covered.
Island has excellent cycle routes, our family favourite.

Ile de Ré, Camping La Grainetière
Small island reach by toll bridge off La Rochelle.
Brilliant site, very modern shower block and great pool area which can be totally covered.
Island has excellent cycle routes, our family favourite.
Île de Ré, Île d'Oléron are beautiful. We are going to visit Île de Noirmoutier this summer. I don't know what it's like during the Easter holidays at this islands: they are all very touristic islands and also live off 'the season'.

Planned to try Île de Ré, Île d'Oléron last year but Covid paid to that plan. Where I have been and really enjoy is further North on the Brittany coast. The Quiberon peninsular and Golfe de Morbihan. Great and varied coastline and estuaries for kayaking and paddleboarding. Quiet roads for cycling . Worth visiting the U boat pens in Lorient. Lots of the IMOCA offshore sailing teams are based there as well if thats of interest.
Also another vote for the Vosges mentioned above. Been there 3 times around lakes Gerardmer and Longemer. Some of the best (tough) cycling I've ever had.

Its a trek but I Definitely recommend the Route Napoleon that goes through the alps from Grenoble to Nice.

I would recommend heading along the normandy coast towards Honfleur / Deauville - you can stop anywhere along the route for cider / oysters / moules / muscadet / cheese / pastries / bread - the beaches are beautiful and you can pretty much stop / camp wherever you fancy - dont worry about camp sites just live on the beach for a week -
The local beach Aire in Normandy (near my holiday home) used to have an 8 vehicle provision - now closed. Apparently as in UK Coastal Areas were overrun by holiday makers who couldn't go abroad resulting in a clamp down.

Definitely agree about the islands - Île de Ré, Île d'Oléron, Île de Ré, Noirmoutier en l'Île are all amazing, great campsites, cylcle tracks, beaches ans sunsets. Spent a few weeks there last year