Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Roofbox

C

Canyon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,

we are going to risk the ever changing lockdown rules and are hopefully heading to France this Sunday. One of the main reasons we bought our Cali was the dream of European road trips. Unfortunately COVID has conspired against us and whilst I appreciate this is a first world problem compared to the loss n heartache that others less fortunate have experienced, I can’t wait to be able to cross the border.

so, the questions. We have a roofbox and I have heard mention that this addition may work against us when trying to access some places due to height restrictions. We are heading to Ardeche and Morzine, does anyone think the space saving would outweigh the additional risk of theft/lack of car park access?

q2. Ardeche is looking particularly warm for our trip, we have 2 kids and a dog and don’t have a fan/air con type gadget, do you think this is nevessary

q3. Slightly related to question 1. We have a drive away awning. We are wondering if people have taken to France or unnecessary for the warmer climes of southern France (w/o big space saver)

Thanks in advance and for all others hoping to get away, or are away wish all the best of luck that Mr Shopping Trolley doesn’t pull the rug from under you/us

that is all.
Cheers

Hi All,

we are going to risk the ever changing lockdown rules and are hopefully heading to France this Sunday. One of the main reasons we bought our Cali was the dream of European road trips. Unfortunately COVID has conspired against us and whilst I appreciate this is a first world problem compared to the loss n heartache that others less fortunate have experienced, I can’t wait to be able to cross the border.

so, the questions. We have a roofbox and I have heard mention that this addition may work against us when trying to access some places due to height restrictions. We are heading to Ardeche and Morzine, does anyone think the space saving would outweigh the additional risk of theft/lack of car park access?

q2. Ardeche is looking particularly warm for our trip, we have 2 kids and a dog and don’t have a fan/air con type gadget, do you think this is nevessary

q3. Slightly related to question 1. We have a drive away awning. We are wondering if people have taken to France or unnecessary for the warmer climes of southern France (w/o big space saver)

Thanks in advance and for all others hoping to get away, or are away wish all the best of luck that Mr Shopping Trolley doesn’t pull the rug from under you/us

that is all.
Cheers
We are in France at the moment. Life feels pretty normal here - it's great.

We have encountered a few "1.9m" car park barriers this week, which we have not encountered before in France - not sure if this is a recent change our not. Mrs Subthree jumps out to check as I drive through SLOWLY! Only an inch or two to spare but squeezed in, and out!

Do you REALLY need a roof box???

PS - At Eurotunnel no one asked for our NHS letters. No one checked our fridge, luckily!

Thanks, it’s a good question. Last year in Scotland it was great to have as with nippers and dog… “stuff” and paddle board etc meant other stuff had less room, so light airy stuff, bike pumps, helmets, fire pits etc sat up in the box. It’ll all come down to packing etc, guess less need for wine storage now

We are in France at the moment. Life feels pretty normal here - it's great.
Ssssssshhhhh! Don’t tell everyone, they will all come!

To the OP, I am just back from a long weekend (not France but Europe) and lived outside without a drive away, but used to camping light. Sleeping in the van was cool enough despite the daytime temps but we kept the roof vents and front open all day and were able to park amongst some trees which helped.

Ssssssshhhhh! Don’t tell everyone, they will all come!

To the OP, I am just back from a long weekend (not France but Europe) and lived outside without a drive away, but used to camping light. Sleeping in the van was cool enough despite the daytime temps but we kept the roof vents and front open all day and were able to park amongst some trees which helped.
Thanks v much, it does sound like we will offload some unnecessaries

Thanks v much, it does sound like we will offload some unnecessaries
Or just take it all, Chuck it in the roof box and find out what you didn’t use for the next trip? Better to have and not need than to need and not have maybe? Enjoy the adventure.

Thanks, it’s a good question. Last year in Scotland it was great to have as with nippers and dog… “stuff” and paddle board etc meant other stuff had less room, so light airy stuff, bike pumps, helmets, fire pits etc sat up in the box. It’ll all come down to packing etc, guess less need for wine storage now
With the roof box then you are limited regarding which lanes to use on the autoroutes.
Ditch the fire pit as many sites don’t allow personal fires or charcoal barbacues but there maybe communal barbacues to use. Gas barbacues are OK.

Just use the fixed awning and get some cheap nylon tarpaulins to tie on to provide shade, as the sun moves.

If you are on mains hookup then a small mains fan can be useful.

If travelling light we take a cheap pop up tent just to chuck stuff into & leave on site. The drive away awning is for when we are anticipating Uk style wet weather.

Or just take it all, Chuck it in the roof box and find out what you didn’t use for the next trip? Better to have and not need than to need and not have maybe? Enjoy the adventure.
My wife is going to have kittens when she sees someone else other than me that uses this phrase….

If travelling light we take a cheap pop up tent just to chuck stuff into & leave on site. The drive away awning is for when we are anticipating Uk style wet weather.
Yeah we have pop up which we had pre awning, ta

With the roof box then you are limited regarding which lanes to use on the autoroutes.
Ditch the fire pit as many sites don’t allow personal fires or charcoal barbacues but there maybe communal barbacues to use. Gas barbacues are OK.

Just use the fixed awning and get some cheap nylon tarpaulins to tie on to provide shade, as the sun moves.

If you are on mains hookup then a small mains fan can be useful.
Bugger clearly not done my research on fire pits in France. There goes my whisky drinking fire poking evenings

My wife is going to have kittens when she sees someone else other than me that uses this phrase….
Normally use it in relation to hand guns, but applies equally well to camping paraphernalia…

Sometimes you can get round the height restriction in France by using the exit to enter, as the height bar is only on the entrance. (Don’t try it in a multi-storey!)

Seems to work in most beach, lake car parks and is accepted by the locals, police etc.

Sometimes you can get round the height restriction in France by using the exit to enter, as the height bar is only on the entrance. (Don’t try it in a multi-storey!)

Seems to work in most beach, lake car parks and is accepted by the locals, police etc.

It took until the end of that to realise you weren’t talking about l’autoroute

It took until the end of that to realise you weren’t talking about l’autoroute
Hahaha…

The autoroutes now tend to have a few non stop ‘high’ vehicle lanes. Get a tag & set up an account before you go and if they charge you the wrong tariff because of the roofbox, they will refund you the difference if you query when you get home.

A cheap windbreak that can works well with van awning.
My van is 2.8m high and never have a problem, just remember it’s more geared up over the water for Motorhomes etc so the extra height shouldn’t be to much of a problem.

A cheap windbreak that can works well with van awning.
My van is 2.8m high and never have a problem, just remember it’s more geared up over the water for Motorhomes etc so the extra height shouldn’t be to much of a problem.
In the Area near my Holiday Home in Normandy height barriers were installed last year to many parking areas where motorhomes were pitching up (illegally ie not designated Aires.).

Roof boxes (and awnings) are for people that bought the wrong campervan. Besides I think the peage may clock you at class 2.
Knew there were too many helpful/positive replies in a row, thanks for assisting in resetting the balance

not that it should need explaining but good luck putting 4 sets of skis in your van, limited thinking on your part I feel, but that’s ok, blurting is quite common

Last edited:
In the Area near my Holiday Home in Normandy height barriers were installed last year to many parking areas where motorhomes were pitching up (illegally ie not designated Aires.).
Yep should use the aires that’s what they are there for in a town.
I was just saying that a roof box won’t stop you going to visit somewhere it just may involve a bit more walking.

Last edited:
204 4Motion Ocean, family of 4 + dog (+dog food and accessories), +bike rack +bikes, +paddleboard, +drive away awning + fire pit.

You are already without the box and roof bars above 3080kg guaranteed.

In France , apart from a fine 135 to 750€ , if you exceed the weight by 5% you will be not allowed to continue driving (3234KG). If I were you I would definitely look for a weight bridge before leaving.

Q2 : yes you will need it . I use these , cheap and low noise in the first setting, hanging on a bungee next to moskito net window upstairs. Ideally one blowing in, the other out

Q3: if you are staying in the same place for at least a week than an awning is very very useful especially with 2 kids+dog. For less than a week it is too much faff to put it up and down every time

Hi All,

that is all.
Cheers
We’re planning to leave for France this week for around six weeks, as usual. It would be really appreciated if you could update with any issues or plain sailing that you encounter.
If you’re going to Morzine to mountain bike, I strongly suggest you explore away from the obvious trails as the good stuff is hidden but so much better! Enjoy.

Height restriction on the highways is 2m and applies only to non-stop payment gates, which you cannot access anyway, unless you have a badge and an active subscription with a provider.

Underground parkings are anywhere from 1.9 to 2.2+ in France and Switzerland, with some offering special levels for higher cars.

Outdoor parking limitations are more and more common, same as bans for overnight parking, sometimes they are only 'activated' during high-seasons/weekends. It's definitely better to stay under 2m if you always want to park close to your destination and not face issues parking in small mountain cities, where little space is available. But in general that should't be a big deal and there is usually something available for the bigger cars. In the end, there are many of those, so I wouldn't worry too much.

And yes, on the highway you may be charged for the higher class, as there is a limit set at 2m.

Currently in France. Booked crossing 4 hours before Bo Jo decided to make France Amber Plus. If double jabbed no problem coming over just make sure to run off the correct Attestation sworn statement which you have to fill out. I had a problem printing mine but Brittany Ferries were handing iut the wrong one!

Dog cost me nearly £300 all in for coming on the trip....outrageous. Book your pcr to return quickly because they are very busy!

Ditched all my food before coming....no one asked or checked. Masks to be worn even in outdoor markets and refreshingly everyone complies! 19 months without visiting! So lovely to be here and everyone pleased to see the English. Happy to quarantine on return and booked Day 2,8 tests and Test to Release Day 5. Waiting to see if there is a change next week to France Amber Plus status.