Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France speed limit

Didn't know that!

Expect the locals will continue to do 110...

Does it, I will remember that on the way to Le Mans. Your saying that any 90kph sign has to be ‘seen’ as 80kph ?

Apparently so. Some departments are saying they don't recognise it so who knows what will happen but that's the law. Not sure how it stands re the signs. Here in the UK as far as I know if the signs are wrong you can't be prosecuted but are you going to argue with an armed gendarme?

When you see the 'end of town' signs in France, that means the speed limit is 90kph. Unless otherwsie posted... It's a bit like our national speed limit sign...

Reviving this old thread, but when in France this summer, I was at Vendôme. This is in departement Loir-et-Cher.
There were already a few roads that had the sign 90. Also the surrounding departements, like Eure-et-Loir, Sarthe, ... have a few, or more roads where you are allowed to drive 90 km/h again. That is a much better speed for my setup. Doing 80km/h in 5th gear asks for a gear change, but going to 6th gear, it begs you to put it back in 5th. It's a perfect speed for demolishing your gearbox, and clotting the EGR.

One rule: no sign = 80 km/h, otherwise there is a sign for the allowed speed (70, 90). This is of course outside the towns.

Another rule: one way in your direction = 80km/h, 2 ways in your direction = 90km/h.
So where you have 3 ways, and it is divided in 1 in one direction, and 2 in the other direction, there are different speeds for the two directions.
If unsure, go 80km/h. The French will pass you if you do 80, and even if you do 90, so don't let you get pressed by those on your tail!

Reviving this old thread, but when in France this summer, I was at Vendôme. This is in departement Loir-et-Cher.
There were already a few roads that had the sign 90. Also the surrounding departements, like Eure-et-Loir, Sarthe, ... have a few, or more roads where you are allowed to drive 90 km/h again. That is a much better speed for my setup. Doing 80km/h in 5th gear asks for a gear change, but going to 6th gear, it begs you to put it back in 5th. It's a perfect speed for demolishing your gearbox, and clotting the EGR.

One rule: no sign = 80 km/h, otherwise there is a sign for the allowed speed (70, 90). This is of course outside the towns.

Another rule: one way in your direction = 80km/h, 2 ways in your direction = 90km/h.
So where you have 3 ways, and it is divided in 1 in one direction, and 2 in the other direction, there are different speeds for the two directions.
If unsure, go 80km/h. The French will pass you if you do 80, and even if you do 90, so don't let you get pressed by those on your tail!
There is a tolerance to the 80kph speed limit but it’s no where as generous as the limits over here..So yes just stick to 80 kph if your not sure..

Let me take one aspect back. The thing about the 3 ways. If there is no separation between the different directions, it still is 80 km/h, even for the 2 ways in one direction, unless stated otherwise.
If you see nothing: 80 km/h. If you see a sign with 90, you may go 90km/h.

snelheid frankrijk.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Sad