Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free Data Plug

Iron Van

Iron Van

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all,

I have just been given a DataPlug by my local VW car dealer. He wasn't sure if it would work on a California. Does anyone use one or has anyone tried it?

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

I have just been given a DataPlug by my local VW car dealer. He wasn't sure if it would work on a California. Does anyone use one or has anyone tried it?

Cheers

Steve
What is a dataplug? How do you use it?

From what I was told at the garage, amongst other things, you plug it into your OBD port and it can tell you where you are parked (going to Carfest, so thought it would be fun to try)

I have asked my local dealer (Breeze Poole), they have not had any info as it is for cars only they thought, however they are finding out for me if it is useful to Cali owners.

I have just been out and plugged it in and registered. It does seem to be connected okay because its right in my mileage and fuel levels. Not sure if its just a bit of a gimmick, but if you look here

http://www.vwconnect.com/gb/en/

It does tell you what it can do, in cars at least.

I have it and use it on the Cali (2017 T6). I really like it - it monitors my mileage, fuel in the tank, reminds me when the Cali is due a service - all on my phone. Where I really use it, though, is for each trip - it monitors my driving style (accelerating, braking, use of gears, coolant temperature, speed) and gives me a score for each trip (in percentage format). As you can imagine, it leads to great competition between myself and other half! Some people might not find it interesting but we love it.

A couple of questions to those who have a Data Plug. What price are they and will they work with an Android tablet?

Thanks,

Rod

I have just been out and plugged it in and registered. It does seem to be connected okay because its right in my mileage and fuel levels. Not sure if its just a bit of a gimmick, but if you look here.

It's not really a gimmick I think it is more for people who like analytics. I had planned to purchase a 3rd party OBDII port to run and export the data from the car, but I'm curious to see what this can do and most of all can the data be exported.

We got it free today, for my wife's new car. The car doesn't arrive until Friday, she will have forgotten all about it by then.

Just read this on the VW site:

Discover more of the benefits of Volkswagen Connect today by downloading the App for free, visiting your local Volkswagen retailer to pick up a DataPlug free of charge, plug it into your car’s diagnostic-port and off you go.

I got it for free. After a little faf it works fine. Online connection to the car and garage. Book service, ask for help/send message. Status on gas, oil, brakes, etc. Is the car locked? Where is it parked. Quit nice but did not use it much yet. But great potential in the future. Big brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad55fafaaa5c25d5c49c774753588e20.jpg

Last edited:
I read they were free, funded by the fact your data is going back to the mothership for their consumption.
I can hear the service manager now, "Sorry Sir/Madam but after analysing your driving data we cannot replace that part under warranty, your driving style has caused the failure."

I can hear the service manager now, "Sorry Sir/Madam but after analysing your driving data we cannot replace that part under warranty, your driving style has caused the failure."

The modern car is already capable of collecting those data without the plug. This is more similar to a alarmsystem or a heatingsystem for your house with a app feature.

Called my local vw garage today, which is not the dealership I purchased the Cali from, they were a little cagey at first but gave in and I pop over to collect one, will be interesting to see how it goes on our Ireland trip

Maybe my query was missed. Does the Data Plug work with Android devices.

You can get something similar from Amazon for about £13. There's loads, nearly all Chinese. For android or iOS. Works via a localised wifi connection to your phone.

Back