Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free overnight stops in Devon or Cornwall - ideas pls :)

V

Vrec

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, I am new to this as just bought my first VW Beach van. I would like to go somewhere for 1 overnight stop this weekend in Devon or Cornwall as the weather looks so good. It would be great to hear your suggestions of any FREE places where we are likely to be able to stay this weekend, e.g. wild camping, pub carpark, layby etc. Not too noisy would be ideal. My kids surf so near a beach would be even better. Any ideas?? Thanks! Vicki

If it’s your first night in the Cali I would suggest going to a “proper” site with toilets etc. A bad lay by or pub car park experience could put you off for life!
If you intend to use pubs etc in the longer term it’s worth signing up to Britstops, as they list camper friendly locations (mainly pubs).

I really would not bother, agree with Vagophile and ArunAlec. Almost certainly the laybys will have no overnight stop restrictions. If you use on-street parking the locals will be annoyed and the authorities will likely move you on. At this time of year the near beach sites may well be full. Try a pub as Arun has suggested but they will want something in return, eating in maybe or will charge a fee.

Hi Vicky

Try Croyde bay or putsborough beach

Croyde has various campsites, the largest is Rhuda

Various others with varying cost and amenities close to the Beach

Putsborough beach has a large car park overlooking the beach and Woolacombe bay that allows over night camping for a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! I recommend downloading the Search4Sites app which is really useful. As you are in Exeter, South Hams are trialling overnight camping in certain carparks but I suspect you will need to grab a space in good time. Use the search function on the app and they show up. Sorry, just realised you are looking for FREE sites but I think that might be a challenge. Even when I park up to visit my mum the other residents get twitchy even though I am not camping and the van takes up less space than my Audi A6 used to.

Hi Vicky

Try Croyde bay or putsborough beach

Croyde has various campsites, the largest is Rhuda

Various others with varying cost and amenities close to the Beach

Putsborough beach has a large car park overlooking the beach and Woolacombe bay that allows over night camping for a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, thanks we'll head to North Devon then. We stayed at Croyde last weekend, at Freshwells opposite the beach

If it’s your first night in the Cali I would suggest going to a “proper” site with toilets etc. A bad lay by or pub car park experience could put you off for life!
If you intend to use pubs etc in the longer term it’s worth signing up to Britstops, as they list camper friendly locations (mainly pubs).
I've signed up to Britstops. Thanks for the tip

Welcome! I recommend downloading the Search4Sites app which is really useful. As you are in Exeter, South Hams are trialling overnight camping in certain carparks but I suspect you will need to grab a space in good time. Use the search function on the app and they show up. Sorry, just realised you are looking for FREE sites but I think that might be a challenge. Even when I park up to visit my mum the other residents get twitchy even though I am not camping and the van takes up less space than my Audi A6 used to.
The search4sites app is great, thanks for the tip It will be fun to explore South Hams a bit more so I think we'll head that way.

Back