Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Freezer not fridge...

V

Volky

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I know there have been quite a few discussions about fridge/freezer options on this forum, and on Beach threads, but can anyone recommend a portable freezer for the car? We have a car fridge which will keep fridge stuff nice and cold, but the frozen stuff starts to defrost after about 12 hours and can't be re-frozen. If I can find one it would be great to be able to use it in the Cali too.

You would probably want a compressor fridge to use as a freezer, something like the Waeco CF/X series will go down to - 18 but will happily work as a fridge too.

That will be a power hungry option however, so hookup would be recommended to use with freezing temps. 40 litre and above use quite a lot more power, something like the CF/X 35 is a good compromise between power use and size.

We have a 40litre Engel with a very effective variable compressor that we run at -19 on our trips to Morocco.
On EHU it ramps up the compressor and drops to low duty when on batteries.

Thank you, really helpful. Not a cheap option are they!!!

+ one for Engle. Used them extensively in Africa with out problem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have the Coleman version of the Dometic 3 way fridge that I bought 20 years ago. Still works perfectly and lights first time. It runs forever from a 907 cylinder and has kept things frozen inside when the air temp has been 31C outside. Works well from the mains too. On 12V it is either on or off, but it is so well insulated it stays cold quite well. Makes ice cubes if wanted. £184
Coleman have apparently stopped making them but the Dometic is so similar it can't be just a coincidence.
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/c...grey/?ref=gs&gclid=CJD8jt6f7M8CFRITGwodr4sEQg

Like all the decent fridges use exactly same danfoss compressors.
So in some cases you are paying more for a brand or for some fancy controls.

Hi, I know there have been quite a few discussions about fridge/freezer options on this forum, and on Beach threads, but can anyone recommend a portable freezer for the car? We have a car fridge which will keep fridge stuff nice and cold, but the frozen stuff starts to defrost after about 12 hours and can't be re-frozen. If I can find one it would be great to be able to use it in the Cali too.
The waeco cf35 is what we bought as it is the only fridge freezer with a height of 385 mm it fits in my pull out rear drawer under the bed at back door .it goes down to -28 .the Cfx is 415 mm high and is to high to work .hope this works for you and there is a big difference in price depending where you buy it .happy fridging then

The waeco cf35 is what we bought as it is the only fridge freezer with a height of 385 mm it fits in my pull out rear drawer under the bed at back door .it goes down to -28 .the Cfx is 415 mm high and is to high to work .hope this works for you and there is a big difference in price depending where you buy it .happy fridging then
Should of said -18 not -28

Thanks very much Mervyn. I'm looking at the Waeco 35cfx, seems to fit the bill but there are posts about Waeco being very unreliable. Engel are a bit too expensive to justify. I don't know if anyone has a Waeco they've not been happy with?

I have had my Waeco for over 2 years now and it is still working well. I did have a period where I was initially unhappy with it, as it seemed to not hold temp very well and the thermostat was slightly inaccurate. If I bought again I would go for a 35l as I think the 40l is a little too big and more power hungry.

Things to bear in mind with them is they need decent airflow to get rid of the of the heat effectively so decent space on all sides of the vents is a must. Even putting it too close to something can cause it to fluctuate a little and covering any part of the vents will make it work too hard and not hold temp. So I put my issues down to user error now. It's not accurate on the thermstat but an internal temp gauge sorted that.

They can be expensive when they do go wrong but many just have a go themselves at fixing them which is doable if you're semi handy.

Back