Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French autoroute categories

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I notice that the height of my Cali is 1990mm, which just comes within Category 1 on French auto routes. Has anyone experienced being put into Category 2, with consequently higher cost?

Not me , and i did quite a few km. on the peage....
You can always check what the termimal says before paying , use a manned guichet (if there is one) , call for assistance or as we do simply always use the max 2m resticted lane with the barrier above ....

Edit as @GrannyJen say below :) get a tag always sure and the fact you ate RHD makes it a lot easyer!

I notice that the height of my Cali is 1990mm, which just comes within Category 1 on French auto routes. Has anyone experienced being put into Category 2, with consequently higher cost?
No use the autoroutes all the time and is class1.

Get a sanef tag, saves time and messing with money at the toll booths.

We are even the car class going over the bridge to Wales ...
And bikes above the head height didn't seen to worry the french system last time we we there

You can also hire an Italian Motorway Tag for your holidays now. Did it last year.

You can also hire an Italian Motorway Tag for your holidays now. Did it last year.

And a Spanish one, but so many motorways are free in Spain probably not worth it.
Can't for the life of me understand why they can't just do one for everywhere. Can't be that difficult with todays technology.

And a Spanish one, but so many motorways are free in Spain probably not worth it.
Can't for the life of me understand why they can't just do one for everywhere. Can't be that difficult with todays technology.

He ho ...it's the European union ....thats impossible to adchive don't you now!

Well the French ones are all different companies and they all come through on one bill when you have the toll doofah so the technology exists.

Everywhere in Spain? That would be really handy.
I've found ours works a few miles over the border from France but not anywhere else.
Which tag do you have?

Everywhere in Spain? That would be really handy.
I've found ours works a few miles over the border from France but not anywhere else.
Which tag do you have?
I have BipAndGo. It's the only one that works in both countries. We went all the way to the South of Spain this winter and the badge worked everywhere.
https://www.bipandgo.com/en/nos-offres/comparatif

Thanks romke.
Our bill comes from Bip&Go even though it's a Sanef tag we've had for years.
I'll try it later this year in Spain.

I have a Sanef tag for France but it's worth checking the bill because they put me in the wrong category once. I just

Thanks romke.
Our bill comes from Bip&Go even though it's a Sanef tag we've had for years.
I'll try it later this year in Spain.
Your current badge will probably not work in Spain. I had to trade mine in to get a bi-country version. I think I paid 10 euros for that.

I normally use the lorry lane or the 30km lane, I did use the 2m one once but can't use it with bikes on the rack
Ah, I see. I use the 2m or 30km/h lane as I have a tow bar rack.

The class of vehicle is not affected by which lane you use.
I've yet to see a large van or anything larger than a VW T van use the 30km/hr or 2m lane.

I've yet to see a large van or anything larger than a VW T van use the 30km/hr or 2m lane.
No, of course not, if they are higher than 2m... (duh... :))

But the class of vehicle is independent indeed from which lane you choose. A VW van is a class 1 vehicle, even if you have bikes or a baggage box on top, it doesn't matter which lane you take, you will always be a class 1 vehicle. So, if you have a box on your roof, you can'y use the automatic 2m lane, but you are still class 1.

Another matter completely is whether the automatic detection systems will always recognise you as such... So, check your ticket or the machine, if anything other than class 1 is indicated, push the button and complain. You can get your money back, but it is a bit of a cumbersome process.
Better is, if you are an exception, to use the staffed booths if you want to be sure you don't pay too much.

[EDIT] The best is, we still think, to forget about the autoroutes altogether and travel along the usually much nicer and quieter back roads. Set your satnav to 'shortest route', or 'avoid highways' (or if you have a TomTom Rider, choose the max level of 'adventurous') and let yourself be surprised... You see so much more, it is so much more relaxing, and it makes the trip a real part of your holiday. Our € 0.02...)[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Back