Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French speeding

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just got two speeding tickets come through from our trip in early July.
Both 45euros if I cough up now.
Both 5/6 kph over the bloody 80 limit which is still posted at 90.
Be careful out there.:(

Last edited:
We were talking to a couple who had the same problem last year. Didnt know the limit had changed from 90 to 80 kph. Although still 90 with a median strip. He had 3 fines and all 15 mins apart. Cost him £150 he said and took 6 months before he got them. Thats the good old DVLA for you making money wherever they can. I bet it doesnt work the other way round. Wonder if it will change after Brexit.....

Well I was fully aware of the 80 limit and had been carefully adhering to it.
Both mine were on a main road near Chartres and the problem was that we were in a queue of traffic all doing the same speed. Slow down and get hooted and waved at ny the French.

We were talking to a couple who had the same problem last year. Didnt know the limit had changed from 90 to 80 kph. Although still 90 with a median strip. He had 3 fines and all 15 mins apart. Cost him £150 he said and took 6 months before he got them. Thats the good old DVLA for you making money wherever they can. I bet it doesnt work the other way round. Wonder if it will change after Brexit.....
Too true.
In the U.K. it is the Registered Vehicle Owner who is responsible for the Fine or for Identifying the Driver.
In some EU countries including France, it is the Driver. So unless a French driver speeding in the UK is stopped and identified then he gets off Scot Free.

Well I was fully aware of the 80 limit and had been carefully adhering to it.
Both mine were on a main road near Chartres and the problem was that we were in a queue of traffic all doing the same speed. Slow down and get hooted and waved at ny the French.
You did say that the speed limit was posted at 90 kph. Surely if this is correct you didnt brake the law.
We have just come back from 3 weeks in France and Spain and saw this all the time. Changing from one to the other over a period of 100 metres. We made absolutely sure that on EVERY camera we stuck to the 80 minus regardless. I know that in France its illegal to have a camera warning device but on our Garmin SatNav it says accident blackspot or similar. Then as soon as you get to Spain it warns of speed cameras. Im afraid its just another thing you have to put up with. At least theres no points. And if you dont pay the fine just goes up and up and of coarse once they have your name and reg they will probably get you the next time to try and visit their country.

No unfortunately even though the signs say 90 its still illegal to go over 80. Further confusion as some departments dont agree withe 80 limit and say 90 is ok. What we have seen sincevis thstvifvthere is an 80 sign there will be a camera in the vicinity

Just got two speeding tickets come through from our trip in early July.
Both 45euros if I cough up now.
Both 5/6 kph over the bloody 80 limit which is still posted at 90.
Be careful out there.:(

I got two ticket from from France this week. It was an 80kph limit, the camera is set at 81kph, I was doing 86 kph, ie 3mph over the limit.

45 euros each. But at least there are no points on the licence.

No unfortunately even though the signs say 90 its still illegal to go over 80. Further confusion as some departments dont agree withe 80 limit and say 90 is ok. What we have seen sincevis thstvifvthere is an 80 sign there will be a camera in the vicinity
Yes but I can agree with the fact that if it says 80 then you stick to 80 regardless of a camera. The wrong thing for the French to do would put a sign for 90 with a camera nearby then fine you for doing over 80.....One good point of coarse is because of all the Protests over France all the cameras we saw from Caen right the way down to the centre of France had been Trashed with either paint or tape all over them......

Yes but I can agree with the fact that if it says 80 then you stick to 80 regardless of a camera. The wrong thing for the French to do would put a sign for 90 with a camera nearby then fine you for doing over 80.....One good point of coarse is because of all the Protests over France all the cameras we saw from Caen right the way down to the centre of France had been Trashed with either paint or tape all over them......
Good point?
They are just building new ones with the money of the working class, who just demolished them.
Why would you drive 1, 2, 3, ... kph faster? If it says 80, you just drive 80. I can go 82/83 on digital speedo, over 85 on analog speedo without getting a ticket. So when you receive a ticket you are going near or over 90 on the analog speedo.
If you want to drive faster, you just have to deal with it.
Why do you think they invented the speed camera's? Because people can never do what they agreed with when receiving their driver's license. By obtaining your driver's license, you know how to behave on the road. Just so few acutally do. (I am no saint at all, but I had only 2 speeding tickets, for the over 300 000 km I have driven with a car up to now, and one I am still sure I wasn't speeding, but I can't prove it because my dashcam was not recording at that moment) (what do I have a dashcam for??? :rolleyes: )

Yes, we can keep whining about it, but in the end, the only option is to pay for our sins!

Just beware, and in France, every speed camera is mentioned way before, so it's not that you weren't warned!

I also had a ticket waiting for me upon our return from France. Caught doing 86 in an 80 speed zone with a fine of €45. Checking the notice the tolerance level was 82kph, so as other have advised keep below 80kph.

No excuses from me when you get a notice of speed cameras, a 80 speed sign and a grey camera box!

Wonderful!

This is utter nonsense. Where did you get that from?
This is utter nonsense. Where did you get that from?
I agree. What’s the point in having speed limit signs when they don’t mean anything. It would be very interesting to know exactly the position as it stands. It’s a topic that most people who own a Camper van should know as a good percentage travel to France or through France at some point every year. Can we hear from someone who is French or lives in France so we know exactly where everyone stands.

Every road outside the villages is 80 km/h.
Except when mentioned different (70, 90 ...).
90 is still allowed when you have 2 lanes in your driving direction only. No shared middle lanes.

90.jpg
This is on the Route Napoléon, where I was happy to even get up at 70 km/h.
The Renault coming down was only allowed to drive 80 km/h, becaus he has a single lane in his direction.

Every road outside the villages is 80 km/h.
Except when mentioned different (70, 90 ...).
90 is still allowed when you have 2 lanes in your driving direction only. No shared middle lanes.

View attachment 51216
This is on the Route Napoléon, where I was happy to even get up at 70 km/h.
The Renault coming down was only allowed to drive 80 km/h, becaus he has a single lane in his direction.
So are you saying that where it shows a figure say 90 that is the speed limit. I did notice that a most of the 80 signs were brand new but the 70 and 90 signs were the old original ones.

What is the limit for Cali's on Autoroutes? Was in N France travelling back from Arnhem through to Dunkirk a couple of weeks ago....Should I expect 'correspondence'?

The rule is 80 km/h.
Except where there is a sign.
Yes, the 70 and 90 signs can be the old ones, because it used to be 90, so they won't place new signs with the same digits on it.

What is the limit for Cali's on Autoroutes? Was in N France travelling back from Arnhem through to Dunkirk a couple of weeks ago....Should I expect 'correspondence'?
The same as cars.
No.

Unless you were speeding of course.

I got two ticket from from France this week. It was an 80kph limit, the camera is set at 81kph, I was doing 86 kph, ie 3mph over the limit.

45 euros each. But at least there are no points on the licence.

I forgot to add, Nat West charge £10 to make the payment via internet banking.

And the most unfair part of all this is that the UK does not have a reciprocal agreement with the rest of the EU regarding this matter. Other countries ask for the Vehicle owner details where we ask for the driver of the vehicle. Shafted by our own government once again.

Just come back from a trip to southern Italy never seen so many different cameras, red ones, blue ones, white ones some on poles some on the ground like in France. Some on bridges some grey but all different shapes and sizes. Hope I didn't miss any speed limit changes whilst watching out for some of the interesting ways Italian drivers use to join a road.