Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water Pump

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys, I'm having few problems with my 2008 California SE 4motion.....water pump blowing fuses suddenly, I've stripped and checked the tap micro switch which seems fine......so I think it must be the pump...does anyone have the specification details or make/model so I can order one from EBay or somewhere without stripping it out first??
Also my fuel economy is awful although relatively short trips of approx 30 miles of non heavy traffic it only returns 25 mpg.....I do not have a heavy boot either...recently serviced all filters changed... no brakes binding etc etc ..everything seems right...pulls well...drives nice....the previous owner fitted 18" Sportline wheels....would that make a difference??.... any feedback would be much appreciated....thanks..

Hi Guys, I'm having few problems with my 2008 California SE 4motion.....water pump blowing fuses suddenly, I've stripped and checked the tap micro switch which seems fine......so I think it must be the pump...does anyone have the specification details or make/model so I can order one from EBay or somewhere without stripping it out first??
Also my fuel economy is awful although relatively short trips of approx 30 miles of non heavy traffic it only returns 25 mpg.....I do not have a heavy boot either...recently serviced all filters changed... no brakes binding etc etc ..everything seems right...pulls well...drives nice....the previous owner fitted 18" Sportline wheels....would that make a difference??.... any feedback would be much appreciated....thanks..

1. Whale 12v Submersable Pump is what many use as the replacement. The old one has probably seized. Sometimes a sharp tap will get it going again.

2. I don't know what milage you were expecting but don't believe the VW figures at all.

25mpg for short trips during the winter isn't too bad. Have you fitted new tyres recently?

Are you a " Granny Driver " ?

Hi Welshgas thank you for your reply, I appreciate the info re the water pump, I'll get one on order straight away......the tyres on my Cali are Good Year 235/50R18 size....they were already fitted when I bought it....look pretty new....
I'm not a " Granny Driver" lol....I tend to drive "just normal"...not slow by any means but not revving the nuts off it or loading it when pulling away.....I've got a Merc AMG sport+ for my heavy foot days.....was just a bit surprised with the low mpg......I traded my Range Rover Sport TDV8 for this and that got me 27 mpg just knocking about......I was just a bit curious being a recently retired engineer if there were any known problems...ps it's been into a Volkswagon commercial dealer recently for a starter motor fault and they said there were no fault readings indicated ??.........

Hi Welshgas thank you for your reply, I appreciate the info re the water pump, I'll get one on order straight away......the tyres on my Cali are Good Year 235/50R18 size....they were already fitted when I bought it....look pretty new....
I'm not a " Granny Driver" lol....I tend to drive "just normal"...not slow by any means but not revving the nuts off it or loading it when pulling away.....I've got a Merc AMG sport+ for my heavy foot days.....was just a bit surprised with the low mpg......I traded my Range Rover Sport TDV8 for this and that got me 27 mpg just knocking about......I was just a bit curious being a recently retired engineer if there were any known problems...ps it's been into a Volkswagon commercial dealer recently for a starter motor fault and they said there were no fault readings indicated ??.........
The Dash display tends to under read. To really check, using the same garage and pump then do a Full Tank to Full Tank mileage check.

Also, are you using the " Memory 2 " Average MPG Display, which averages the consumption over some thousands of miles.

Are you using the " Coast " function?

I may be wrong, but it seems that Goodyear don't make tyres in the size you mentioned with a Load Rating sufficient for a California. Are you sure they are correct, and also if they have the correct rolling radius, because if not then the Car Computer might be working on incorrect information when calculating MPG.

The Dash display tends to under read. To really check, using the same garage and pump then do a Full Tank to Full Tank mileage check.

Also, are you using the " Memory 2 " Average MPG Display, which averages the consumption over some thousands of miles.

Are you using the " Coast " function?
Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by " Coast function "

Mmmm....food for thought, I'll have to check it further, the tyre size I've posted are taken from the tyres currently fitted.....as they were on the Cali when I bought it ( used ) I assumed them to be correct.....will investigate.....thank you for your replies Welshgas .....much appreciated......

I don't think the 'Coast' function was introduced on the T5 until after 2010. My DSG Auto box does not have it.

Alan

Vehicle details list his transmission as manual, surely no coast function on that?

Mmmm....food for thought, I'll have to check it further, the tyre size I've posted are taken from the tyres currently fitted.....as they were on the Cali when I bought it ( used ) I assumed them to be correct.....will investigate.....thank you for your replies Welshgas .....much appreciated......
Does the size details on the tyre wall which you have quoted include another number such as 103W?

This number indicated the load rating of the tyre and for the California, which weighs in at about 3.5 tons, needs to be 103. If this number is not on the tyre wall, then these tyres are not suitable for use on the California and should be changed as soon as possible.

Alan

Does the size details on the tyre wall which you have quoted include another number such as 103W?

This number indicated the load rating of the tyre and for the California, which weighs in at about 3.5 tons, needs to be 103. If this number is not on the tyre wall, then these tyres are not suitable for use on the California and should be changed as soon as possible.

Alan
Cali has a maximum gross weight of 3 tonnes or 3.08 if a DSG 4Motion. 3.5 tonnes would be way over and beyond design and legal limits.
101 would be the lowest load rating but as you say 103 ideal.

As Welshgas says Goodyear only appear to do a 97 load rating in that size which is normally only on cars or light vans.

Cali has a maximum gross weight of 3 tonnes or 3.08 if a DSG 4Motion. 3.5 tonnes would be way over and beyond design and legal limits.
101 would be the lowest load rating but as you say 103 ideal.

As Welshgas says Goodyear only appear to do a 97 load rating in that size which is normally only on cars or light vans.

Hi BJG and Welshgas thank you for the tyre information, I checked it out with Goodyear technical and you're absolutely right.....the load rating on my tyres are not good enough and Goodyear do not do a higher load rating for my tyre size ( 235 / 50 / R18 ) what tyres do other California SE 4motion owners fit for my Sportline 18" wheels ???.....I've found some General Grabber AT 235 / 60R 18 but not sure if they'll fit.....they are a 107 load rating......help....confused.com

1. Whale 12v Submersable Pump is what many use as the replacement. The old one has probably seized. Sometimes a sharp tap will get it going again.

2. I don't know what milage you were expecting but don't believe the VW figures at all.

25mpg for short trips during the winter isn't too bad. Have you fitted new tyres recently?

Are you a " Granny Driver " ?
New pump fitted now as old one had seized......thanks for your help Welshgas

Hi BJG and Welshgas thank you for the tyre information, I checked it out with Goodyear technical and you're absolutely right.....the load rating on my tyres are not good enough and Goodyear do not do a higher load rating for my tyre size ( 235 / 50 / R18 ) what tyres do other California SE 4motion owners fit for my Sportline 18" wheels ???.....I've found some General Grabber AT 235 / 60R 18 but not sure if they'll fit.....they are a 107 load rating......help....confused.com
On the Drivers Door Pillar should be a sticker detailing the wheel size and recommended tyre sizes. The California can have 16, 17 or 18 " wheels from VW. What is important is the overall rolling circumference for speedo and milometer readings and load rating for safety.
There are sites that give the rolling circumference of the tyre / wheel combination your vehicle came with according to the sticker. You can then change wheel size and the site will tell you what tyre size is needed. Or check with VW or a good tyre shop.

On the Drivers Door Pillar should be a sticker detailing the wheel size and recommended tyre sizes. The California can have 16, 17 or 18 " wheels from VW. What is important is the overall rolling circumference for speedo and milometer readings and load rating for safety.
There are sites that give the rolling circumference of the tyre / wheel combination your vehicle came with according to the sticker. You can then change wheel size and the site will tell you what tyre size is needed. Or check with VW or a good tyre shop.
Thanks once again for your input Welshgas...You're a star.... The door Pillar on my Veedub doesn't list anything for 18" wheels...I will try to find the websites you mention.... Thanks again Welshgas...another beer I owe you....

Thanks once again for your input Welshgas...You're a star.... The door Pillar on my Veedub doesn't list anything for 18" wheels...I will try to find the websites you mention.... Thanks again Welshgas...another beer I owe you....
VW supply 255/45/R18 103 H minimum on their 18 " wheels.

Thanks Welshgas for that info, I've just come off the phone speaking to a tyre supplier in Nottm....he recommended the same tyre size 255/45/18 in a Goodyear Asymmetric 3 with a load rating of 103....bit pricey though at £165 each, but my used Cali came with 6 months warranty so I'm hoping the dealer will cough up....thanks again for the info Bud.....Janno

Thanks Welshgas for that info, I've just come off the phone speaking to a tyre supplier in Nottm....he recommended the same tyre size 255/45/18 in a Goodyear Asymmetric 3 with a load rating of 103....bit pricey though at £165 each, but my used Cali came with 6 months warranty so I'm hoping the dealer will cough up....thanks again for the info Bud.....Janno
Probably why it had car tyres fitted. The California does weigh 3 tons.
If you are planning on using the vehicle all year then you might consider 4 season tyres.