Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water pump

David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’ve followed numerous threads on this forum on how to change both the tap and the pump for the fresh water . I’ve changed both for new and it all works so thanks for the advice.
However, when I turn on the tap water arrives at a much lower pressure than previously , second time I turn it on nothing happens, no pump, no water, no noise.
If I then disconnect/ reconnect the level sensor it all works again - once !
Any ideas ?

Perhaps test it with the filler cap removed?
Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it makes no difference.
When it runs, the pump is very noisy and it takes a few seconds before water arrives at the tap. Previously I didn’t notice the noise of the pump and water was delivered instantly.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it makes no difference.
When it runs, the pump is very noisy and it takes a few seconds before water arrives at the tap. Previously I didn’t notice the noise of the pump and water was delivered instantly.
Just to confirm you have a T6 with a Non-Touch screen Control Panel?
If that is the case then the water level sensor circuit should have nothing to do with operation of the water pump as far as I can see.

Just to confirm you have a T6 with a Non-Touch screen Control Panel?
If that is the case then the water level sensor circuit should have nothing to do with operation of the water pump as far as I can see.
Yes, 2017 T6 with non-touch screen panel.
Could there be an air lock in the system?

If there is, try blowing down the tap
And then sucking. Cleared our air lock.

Yes, 2017 T6 with non-touch screen panel.
Could there be an air lock in the system?
If you have the shower attachment, then you could try the shower switch rather than the tap and see if the pump operates at expected. If it does It might be that your tap micro switch is on its way out and you are getting a very poor contact and also it gets hot and doesn’t work again until cooled down. Just a thought

A

If you have the shower attachment, then you could try the shower switch rather than the tap and see if the pump operates at expected. If it does It might be that your tap micro switch is on its way out and you are getting a very poor contact and also it gets hot and doesn’t work again until cooled down. Just a thought

A
Thank you. No shower to try as you suggest and tap only replaced 6 months ago. I’ll try blowing through the system later today.

Thank you. No shower to try as you suggest and tap only replaced 6 months ago. I’ll try blowing through the system later today.
Only other suggestion - it might be worth checking that pump motor power and ground wire are the correct way around. I changed my pump for the generic version non VW part and I had to cut the old connector off and join it to new pump, the wires on my pump were clear with slight colour trace and access isn’t easy, so whilst unlikely maybe worth a double check

A

i suspect the pump is running the wrong way round or you have a pipe not quite connected properly. try swapping the wires round ?

Only other suggestion - it might be worth checking that pump motor power and ground wire are the correct way around. I changed my pump for the generic version non VW part and I had to cut the old connector off and join it to new pump, the wires on my pump were clear with slight colour trace and access isn’t easy, so whilst unlikely maybe worth a double check

A
Thank you. I will try all of these later and report back.

Wires to the pump seem to be correct. The pump runs when I operate the tap (most of the time anyway). So, I know the pump has power and works. I’ve tried blowing through the system with the tap in the open position but disconnected from the pump but it I cannot blow through the pipe.
I’m at a loss.

Wires to the pump seem to be correct. The pump runs when I operate the tap (most of the time anyway). So, I know the pump has power and works. I’ve tried blowing through the system with the tap in the open position but disconnected from the pump but it I cannot blow through the pipe.
I’m at a loss.
David

I think my next steps would be

1. Apply 12v directly to the pump and see if it works. - rules out wiring / switch

2. Take lid off water and check pump is seated correctly, it sits within 3 pegs in the bottom of the tank, make sure nothing is catching the pump and also there is enough cable length so it isn’t hanging by the cable

3. Check the model of the pump, I think I fitted a Comet VIP-PLUS 20l/min 1.1bar version which I think is a close to the VW original one, they do a lower pressure version in the same size - I have seen different answers on the forum as to which pump is closest the the VW one - I followed advice in this thread

Thank you so much for all the advice. I now have water coming out of the tap, it isnt the same flow or pressure as previously but at least it works.
There was nothing obviously amiss, wired correctly and pump seated as described only thing I haven’t been able to do is to blow through the pipe work. I’ll maybe try that again at some point.
Many thanks

Our 2022 van has been at the dealers today as the tap stopped working completely(although the pump was being activated) i knew it wasn’t an airlock as I have easily fixed this before with the suck method! Turned out there was a loose connection with the tap wiring apparently- might have been an easy fix but as it’s under warranty I preferred the dealer to sort it out - along with a couple of other minor issues which they can do at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a simple system that seems to be the cause of many problems.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I now have water coming out of the tap, it isnt the same flow or pressure as previously but at least it works.
There was nothing obviously amiss, wired correctly and pump seated as described only thing I haven’t been able to do is to blow through the pipe work. I’ll maybe try that again at some point.
Many thanks
The best method I have found (actually I think was @WelshGas) is to disconnect the tap micro switch connector so the pump doesn’t get activated when lifting up the tap. The push-click connector is found tucked up the side of the sink, usually in a foam block.

Back