Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water tank gauge...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Maybe a no-brainer, but the fresh water tank gauge on the control panel display is showing two bars, but there is no water in the tank. Is this likely the gauge in the tank that's not working or something else?
Common problem, easy/cheap to fix?

Thanks,
Matt

On mine (different tank), it is common (almost a feature!), expensive to replace, so we all just leave it, and get used to the change in tone the pump makes when the tank is getting low.

The sender in the Westfalia T3 could be dismantled and with some careful soldering and parts replacement be fixed fairly cheaply. Sadly the units used on the T4 are sealed up good and proper. So well that I think if you tried to dismantle it you'd probably end up destroying the sender. You can still buy them - it's always nice to have the vehicle working as intended but it will steal a long week away from your bank account. This is where I bought ours - http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/Guen...ts/Categories/"Westfalia T4"/Wasserversorgung
I still have the original 5 years on, still with the best intentions of fixing it.

Are you sure you're not looking at the waste water tank icon?

The waste water icon flashes on our display only when it's full. Or very nearly full. Have only seen it two or three times in 5 years as most of the time we wash up using the campsite facilities.

So... in my quest to have everything working on the van, I'm focusing again on the fresh water level...
I managed to strip mine down and remove the blue 'resin' from the components, but I'm not an electronics expert. I have found some details of how to repair, but so far I didn't manage to get it working again.

I've sourced new reed switches and resistors, but the mini-magnets are proving elusive (I'm missing one and can't find any info on the specifics of these)...

Has anyone ever successfully fixed one?

Hi... Did you sort this issue out? i have the same issue, i fixed the gauge but now the indicator signar only show the symbol when the magnet is on the sensor... all time appart that is showing empty tank.

Does anyone experience this issue also ?

In the end i bought a replacement I found online... I never did finish to re-build the old one...

In the 6 years we have owned the van I have probably looked at that gauge 3 times. I know the fresh water tank holds around 30 ltrs and that’s enough to last a very long time just topping it up with a few litres now and again. As far as the waste water the sink is only used for brushing teeth and a wash when there’s no facilities. Just empty it when we get home. I would never go to the horrific expense of repairing that particular gauge.

I would never go to the horrific expense of repairing that particular gauge.
Call it my OCD, it was the last thing not working and so I wanted to see it functional, but indeed you're right, its not important it works. If i'm totally honest, our water is only used for washing hands and occasionally some dishes - we keep a separate container for drinking water and being on campsites you're never too far from a source to add water to the tank. It was purely an exercise of 'nice to have'.
Also, I got lucky, the replacement i found online was from a breaker who didn't know what people were generally asking for working examples, I don't think i would have paid the usual asking price just for cosmetics.
If anyone wants to try to fix theirs, attached is a document (in German) that explains it...
Good luck!

Attachments

• Fix for the water gauge.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 28
Back