sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

Strange goings on in the h2O dept.

I seem to have airlock problems.
The tank fills ok but I did notice it seemed to empty very quickly.

I also noticed after topping up it was leaking around the large black access cap!

When draining it seems reluctant to do so until the tap is operated.

I'm thinking blocked breather/overflow.

Any thoughts.

IMG_2091.JPG

how did it leak from the top? Have you been turning your van upside down again... you've been warned about doing that... :D

ah.. you wanted a sensible answer... sorry, got nothing :sorry

I don't know. It's bizarre. I thought I was imagining it but there was deffo water around the black cap.

I assume when you over fill it just rubs out of the filler and/or the overflow?

I'm not sure if this helps or if your water tank is the same as on the Exclusive. But I've been caught out a few times when filling it, If the pressure of the hose is either two high or the water is going in at a certain angle it tends to build up just out of view and then flow out of the filler, same as if it was full. Might explain the fact it's emptying quicker.

Chaps,

Strange goings on in the h2O dept.

I seem to have airlock problems.
The tank fills ok but I did notice it seemed to empty very quickly.

I also noticed after topping up it was leaking around the large black access cap!

When draining it seems reluctant to do so until the tap is operated.

I'm thinking blocked breather/overflow.

Any thoughts.

View attachment 21018
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...070/subcategory/350000/part_id/3706723/lang/e

The filler pipe looks higher than the Black Access cap, so if the seal has gone and the overflow /air inlet is blocked then I can certainly see that that would become a leak point.

Isn't the filler pipe the larger pipe next to the pump at the top of the pic? I would think the two small bore tubes are the breather and tap feed?
Correct.

There's always the chance the seal has gone on the access cap, but I'd be surprised if any of the breather/overflow pipes were blocked - they are quite a large bore so you'd need some pretty 'lumpy' water to cause a blockage. Perhaps your cap vents are blocked?

There's always the chance the seal has gone on the access cap, but I'd be surprised if any of the breather/overflow pipes were blocked - they are quite a large bore so you'd need some pretty 'lumpy' water to cause a blockage. Perhaps your cap vents are blocked?
Indeed Mr C.
I've checked the seal on the large black cap and it looks fine.

Indeed Mr C.
I've checked the seal on the large black cap and it looks fine.

You could use the old beer brewing trick of a smear of Vaseline (other petroleum based lubricants are available) on the Access Cap seal - never thought I'd be saying that on a forum. That should stop any water escaping. Does the tank drain more enthusiastically without the filler cap on? If the cap is on does it hiss as the tank is drained? Mine does and it's never struck me as having a problem.

Breather pipe could be kinked. The black plate the filler is comes out fairly easily. Need to remove hookup wires if memory serves me. It is held in with 4 bolts. Careful not to drop anything down the wing panel void. I dropped a spanner & was a pig to get out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Breather pipe could be kinked. The black plate the filler is comes out fairly easily. Need to remove hookup wires if memory serves me. It is held in with 4 bolts. Careful not to drop anything down the wing panel void. I dropped a spanner & was a pig to get out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Yup. The breather pipe could be kinked. I think you're getting mixed up with the T4 and T5 though - water filler and Hook-up are separate on the T4 so no need to start faffing with electrical bits 'n' bobs.

Back