Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water Tank Level Indicator

M

Martyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I wonder if anyone has experienced this before: The fresh water level on my Cali seems to be stuck at two bars, it does not go down as the amount of water in the tank reduces. It does go up to three when you fill it up though! I'm thinking this is most likely a problem with the sender in the tank rather than the Control Unit.

Cali is just over three years old.

Why on earth do people keep posting new topics on already existing treads?

Do try and do some searching if you got a problem it is made to help you this search function . It gives instant answers.

Here you go , did it for you
One of the many...
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...r-tank-reading-incorrectly.12591/#post-125726
Noting uncommon , we all suffer this.

Hang on a second my friend, I searched and didn't find. Perhaps I didn't use the correct syntax, I do know it didn't throw any answers up. There is absolutely no need to give an response like this, I was posting a request for help. I hope I would be more tolerant if I saw a similar request for help.

So thank you for pointing me to an existing thread, I wasn't aware this is a common issue.

Martyn

Like the faulty waste water indicator on the Cali is a common problem also is the "search function" that suffers some issues .
Just few days ago others where bringing it up....here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/annoying-search-restriction.15197/#post-163523

The thing is that the list of things that can go wrong in/on and arround a Cali is huge :Nailbiting
And most show up here in panic thinking they suffer a major problem witch in the end is just a gift from VW....;)

IF i search , i mostly find it , becose i know 100% there is an existing thread in this case (faulty watergauge) .
And reading many ( not saying all) new posts gives a whole other view on this forum than people poppin' in and trowing a Q online.

If you are regular on this forum and read many post (like me) you see the same Q's pop up on regular base witch makes the forum only more compicated in terms to search things up.
Some don't even bother reading the manual , instead they come on here first post no introduction not even VIP- member ( witch i think everyone should subcribe) and want instant answers ....
I'm sort of "direct" :D in my reply's witch is only to point things out. Not to offend you ( or others;))

On topic now , i always leave home for a trip and fill-up the watertank , and every chance i get to top up i do if i'm pretty sure the waterquality is ok ( only using a collapseble bucket and flunnel not the provide hose at campsites...)

The same with the waste water but the other way arround , empty every chance there is when leaving the campsite

Freecamping needs diffrent approach offcoarse.

If I came in fairly new to the forum and asked for help got a lecture I would think "you Cali forum lot are too much of a click" and not come back..

Lots of questions come up again and again just skip them if they they wind you up

Last edited:
If I came in fairly new to the forum and asked for help got a lecture I would think "you Cali forum lot are too much of a click" and not come back..

Lots of questions come up again and again just skip them if they they wind you up

I provided him the answer to his Q within' 1 hour after he posted , while others read his post and like like you "skip" ....
Sometimes Q's and post are read dozens times without any respond...
I try and help
Oh and @Martyn is not realy " fairly new "

At the time beeing this post is viewed 70 times !!! only guy attempt to help ....

Last edited:

Then you would have lost out. 1 Question, 70 views and only 1 person took the time and effort to answer the OP's question, which has been asked many times and answered many times.

I would have answered it but I was too busy searching for tap....

I'm not really offended, I was in the Armed Forces for 24 years and have been pissed-off by professionals - you didn't come close.

All the same, I have to say that if you were aware of the apparent problem with the search function, why did you feel it necessary to jump down my throat? I'm grateful that you pointed me in the right direction, but a less sensitive soul than myself might have concluded that this was another of those elitist and highly parochial forums and disappeared for good. Is that what you want?

Frankly, stating that you are "direct" in your answers is not an apology. If I can offer a word of advice - and from what I can see, you would do well to listen - is that you should perhaps consider what the consequences are before putting the boot in. This is a public forum and I expect lots of other subscribers are thinking pretty much the same as me.

Martyn It would be a shame if this got out of hand. HC spends hours answering people's questions and trying to help. He quite rightly tries to get people to use the search function. He does it so frequently that occasionally he may get the tone of his answer wrong and he gets the odd good hearted leg pull when he does. This forum caters for many different nationalities and we do not all go about things the same way..
Enjoy the forum

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, you're quite right - no need for this to get out of hand. I will cease and desist.

Just to reiterate what I said earlier, thanks for the technical advice - I'm grateful for the information and will sort it out before too long.

Martyn,

The fresh water tank sensor is a joke. Best way to handle water on a Cali is, if you really need to carry it, fill the tank up.

If you are going somewhere that you think obtaining fresh water is going to be a problem, take a few bottles of the stuff with you.

If you are on a campsite that supplies the stuff out of a hand tap, who cares. Just fill to the brim before you leave.

I don't even look at mine. It's either there or not. If not, well, I can always knock on a door somewhere and ask if I can fill my kettle up.

As for the squabble over the search function, lets call it a storm in a tea cup, if you have enough water to make a cup of tea that is.

Tea in a disposable cup that is, but one that is environmentally friendly, composts down in 70 days or whatever, but ignites rather easily from bitter experience :oops:

The pipe from my pump very often gets wedged on my level probe causing the level indicator to display the incorrect value. I mainly live with this but on occasion I pull it out of the was with a piece of wire through the filling hole. Next time I have the top of the tank open I will sort it permenantly.

Why on earth do people keep posting new topics on already existing treads?

Do try and do some searching if you got a problem it is made to help you this search function . It gives instant answers.

Here you go , did it for you
One of the many...
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...r-tank-reading-incorrectly.12591/#post-125726
Noting uncommon , we all suffer this.

<insert tongue in cheek>

You comment when people join and don't post only read
You comment that people don't search but as pointed out the three letters is not enough, wouldn't even for for FAQ ;)
People post the same questions possible due to the lack of a FAQ , see above.

There's just no pleasing some people. (Monty Python quote)

</remove tong in cheek> :bananadance

Read as lighthearted ribbing please :)

@Teejay1 , 100% agree:happy

If you know that much over me you are a frequent reader....:thumb

Hi, I wonder if anyone has experienced this before: The fresh water level on my Cali seems to be stuck at two bars, it does not go down as the amount of water in the tank reduces. It does go up to three when you fill it up though! I'm thinking this is most likely a problem with the sender in the tank rather than the Control Unit.

Cali is just over three years old.
Possibly the plastic sender unit in the tank has a split in it giving false readings. The replacement is now made from stainless steel and cost just under £90. ( plus fitting if you don't want to do it yourself )

Possibly the plastic sender unit in the tank has a split in it giving false readings. The replacement is now made from stainless steel and cost just under £90. ( plus fitting if you don't want to do it yourself )

Thanks for sharing this news - I've replaced mine once already, and the replacement also split after a couple of years, so I haven't bothered to fix it yet. Good that VW have noticed and undertaken some iterative improvement!

Like the faulty waste water indicator on the Cali is a common problem also is the "search function" that suffers some issues .
Just few days ago others where bringing it up....here
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/annoying-search-restriction.15197/#post-163523

The thing is that the list of things that can go wrong in/on and arround a Cali is huge :Nailbiting
And most show up here in panic thinking they suffer a major problem witch in the end is just a gift from VW....;)

IF i search , i mostly find it , becose i know 100% there is an existing thread in this case (faulty watergauge) .
And reading many ( not saying all) new posts gives a whole other view on this forum than people poppin' in and trowing a Q online.

If you are regular on this forum and read many post (like me) you see the same Q's pop up on regular base witch makes the forum only more compicated in terms to search things up.
Some don't even bother reading the manual , instead they come on here first post no introduction not even VIP- member ( witch i think everyone should subcribe) and want instant answers ....
I'm sort of "direct" :D in my reply's witch is only to point things out. Not to offend you ( or others;))

On topic now , i always leave home for a trip and fill-up the watertank , and every chance i get to top up i do if i'm pretty sure the waterquality is ok ( only using a collapseble bucket and flunnel not the provide hose at campsites...)

The same with the waste water but the other way arround , empty every chance there is when leaving the campsite

Freecamping needs diffrent approach offcoarse.

I'd agree useful post, search function is not always reliable and frankly in my opinion you need to learn some manners.....the guys asked a reasonable question, no need for that sort of response at all.

Ive had this problem and it was the level sensor in the tank at fault fortunately it was still in warranty

However it can be a relatively easy DIY job if the fancy ! There is a round cap in the wardrobe and that is where the sensor sits

I have much more success doing a search on Google preceding the item with VW California "problem". You get an answer everytime with previous forum thread links, just go from there. Using the forum search function is haphazard at best.

I have much more success doing a search on Google preceding the item with VW California "problem". You get an answer everytime with previous forum thread links, just go from there. Using the forum search function is haphazard at best.
You can make this better still by using [site:vwcaliforniaclub.com you search words] as this restricts google to this site only, there is also a post on here from another member that show you how to make a search shortcut so you just type [vwc your search words]

Back