Fresh watertank leaking?

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Last time filled the fresh watertank to the limit . Water porred out the filling hole .
The day after wet spot under cali , water drippin from a strange place.

Went on to unscrew some panels and found out that the hose connecting the filling hole and the tank was leaking , the metal strap does not do the job and water drips trough when filling...
Also discoverd this

Cut out 1 cm

The tube to let out the air while filling water was to long and was bended so not doing the job!
New 2012 cali , nice job from factory workers!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

hi I've had a drained water tank this last weekend on our first time out and used for the first time. I managed to get it refilled at the camp site and seemed to be OK for the 2 nights trial. Back home and in the drive I now see a damp patch where the tank is. What did you do to resolve your issues?

I replaced the original pice of tube with an other one.
the original is not good becouse the metal strap(s) , one on the tank and one on the filling hole, that holds it in place does not do the job . It is a ribbend plastik tube that never is fully waterproof.
The one i replaced it with is smoot on the inside and outside , a rubber hose .
the metal straps can be weltightend and give a better waterproof.
I will try to post the pictures later...

Removed the frame that holds the filling hole and the electric socket for easyer accesvand replaced the original tube with a smoother one , that can much harder/better tightend with the metal straps
Now the connection is fully waterproof .
I guess many Cali' s won't have this problem , but it is something that maybe you don't see because the amont of water that drips throug finds it way underneeth the watertank at the carrosserie and it can cause corrosion!

image.jpg

Thank you for explaining. Before attempting that I'll check what VW will do under the warranty. Shame that these gliches let VW down on what is otherwise an expensive bit of kit! Great vehicle otherwise!

Re: Fresh Watertank Drain

The fresh water outlet on our 2013 SE that has no obvious hose or runaway area from the underside. When the fresh tank is emptied the water runs out all around/through the rear bumper/bodywork. There is a small hole to the rear passenger of the wheel and I can feel a hose tucked away inside the bodywork. When the fresh tank is emptied the water runs randomly all around/through the rear bumper/bodywork, It just seems a bit too untidy. I have spoke to the dealer and he thinks it is normal.
The waste outlet has a small hose protruding a few cm from a similar hole to the front of the same wheel and the water runs out as if from a tap.

Re: Fresh Watertank Drain

chrisandkateg said:
The fresh water outlet on our 2013 SE that has no obvious hose or runaway area from the underside. When the fresh tank is emptied the water runs out all around/through the rear bumper/bodywork. There is a small hole to the rear passenger of the wheel and I can feel a hose tucked away inside the bodywork. When the fresh tank is emptied the water runs randomly all around/through the rear bumper/bodywork, It just seems a bit too untidy. I have spoke to the dealer and he thinks it is normal.
The waste outlet has a small hose protruding a few cm from a similar hole to the front of the same wheel and the water runs out as if from a tap.

This is quite normal, they are all like that. Not a very clever arrangement. Yet another thing that VW could "finnish off"

Thanks for the confirmation. You think they could do better considering the overall quality. :D

Last time filled the fresh watertank to the limit . Water porred out the filling hole .
The day after wet spot under cali , water drippin from a strange place.

Went on to unscrew some panels and found out that the hose connecting the filling hole and the tank was leaking , the metal strap does not do the job and water drips trough when filling...
Also discoverd this

Cut out 1 cm

The tube to let out the air while filling water was to long and was bended so not doing the job!
New 2012 cali , nice job from factory workers!

View attachment 1634 View attachment 1635 View attachment 1636

Hi I have a T6 2016 and I noticed that the tube connecting the filling hole to the tank leaks. Can you give me some instructions to try replace the tube or Tighten the straps please?
thank you very much

Welcome @Francesco , you need to undo the screws from the outside filler cap to get accces to the tubes .

Thanks for the confirmation. You think they could do better considering the overall quality. :D
At least the Clean Water Tank outlet is protected from road muck and it is only fresh water unlike the Waste Tank.
Fresh water won't do any harm to the chassis unlike road water with salt etc:.

Another few months and we'll start getting anxious queries about the puddles of water appearing near the front R hand and rear R hand wheels after a drive.

Any theories????

@hotel california , you're not allowed to answer.;);)

I have a similar problem with a drip having filled the water tank and leaking underneath however I am not clear which panels to remove to gain access, are they internal or external?

I have a similar problem with a drip having filled the water tank and leaking underneath however I am not clear which panels to remove to gain access, are they internal or external?
External, Underneath.

It's worth checking that the drain lever is pushed hard enough to close the drain valve. I need to give mine a little extra push, otherwise I get a drip!

Thanks ArunAlec, I have tried that but without success so far, it is a very slow drip so it can wait until a vacant moment!

Tom , i my first post is a picture from underneeth where water was dripping on mine.
The second and thirt picture are taken afther i took out the 220v hook up plug and the waterfiller entry ....
Seems the pictures above have been moved they where original fitting in the text ...

Anyway , when you got acces to the gasbotlle holder in the rear , take a flashlight and look above the holder , feel with your hands if it is wet afther you filled up water.
The white hose at mine was badly fitted from factory and i changed it with the black one in the picture above in this tread.
It might well be leaking from underneeth at the drainvalve but i would start looking from above for obvious gravity reason....:D

Cheers, I will check that out. I suspect it is lower down as the tank drains - eventually.

Tom

Removed the frame that holds the filling hole and the electric socket for easyer accesvand replaced the original tube with a smoother one , that can much harder/better tightend with the metal straps
Now the connection is fully waterproof .
I guess many Cali' s won't have this problem , but it is something that maybe you don't see because the amont of water that drips throug finds it way underneeth the watertank at the carrosserie and it can cause corrosion!

View attachment 1849
Hello you left some advice for me on my leak on a previous thread - thank you. I am struggling to find on the internet any supplier of a smooth pipe like the one you used here. Do you know where you sourced it from? Thanks

I found that at a local shop who does pools and pond (garden) in Belgium ,sorry for bad translation. Was 4y ago now.
Just take out the original piece of pipe and source every diy and hardware shop in you nearby , you will find some that fit .

Back