Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge condensation

S

swigle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Have had the fridge on constantly for 2 weeks while on holiday, and there is a lot of condensation in it - a noticeable puddle in the bottom, and everything that is in contact with the bottom of the fridge comes out dripping.

I appreciate that the condensation itself is inevitable, but what do people do about the puddle that forms?
Having to empty the fridge every few days to mop it up seems a bit of an faff (I'm a bloke - I don't do cleaning).

And do you use anything to raise the contents out of the puddle?
I'm thinking of some sort of trivet, but am open to suggestions ...

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, hope you are having a good time over in France.

We have exactly the same problem when using the fridge for a long period of time and was considering buying two of these to place in the bottom of the fridge http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zak-Desig...ccessories&hash=item2a1cf17bb4#ht_1538wt_1163 I do remember someone posting another solution which could be cut to size which would be alot better and probably cheaper.

It is a pain in the :censor though especially if you have something at the bottom of the fridge that absorbs the water

Interesting link Martin. Let us know how it goes if you buy them and now I have the idea in my head I'll look out for something on the high street.

As I don't have the Cali yet could you or anyone advise on the internal dimension of the floor of the fridge??

Stu, approx 42 x 25cm so ignore my link above as they will be too small ! I will keep looking

Thanks Martin.

I'm out 'hunting' for stuff today so I'll keep em peeled for a cost effective solution. :thumb

I measure the floor of the fridge as 20cm x 40cm - anything bigger is unlikely to fit.

Martin said:
You are right Steve, i must have a purchased dodgy tape measure!!

Reminds me of the chap at work who printed off a ruler from the internet because he couldn't find one in his drawer - the printer resized it to fit onto A4 ...

Saw this + £13 ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q7EE32/?tag=eliteelect-21

Which is 20cm x 5cm x 1.5cm when folded.

Expands to 68cm wide, but can't figure out what the depth measurement would be when expanded to 40cm ... my head hurts even contemplating working it out. If anyone else wants to have a go and let me know, I'd appreciate it!

I saw these today -

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-sink- ... ry-p118138

118139-676738172.jpg

Could easily be cut to suit. I didn't have a tape measure with me and I'd forgotten to print one before I left :laugh2

What do you reckon? It might not be thick/deep enough is the only issue I can see, it depends on the level of water you are getting in there.

We just blot occasionally with a bit of paper towel..

Wilkinsons sell a plastic rectangular draining board mat for around £1, similar to the Go Outdoors mats above. They don't need much cutting down to fit the fridge bottom. We ended up using two together to lift the fridge contents above the wet.

How about using the grids as mentioned early in the thread and a beer towel under the grid, easy to ring out and holds loads of water

Holy thread revival Batman!
Has anyone come up with a solution to this yet now 5+ years has passed

The fight against water in the fridge

You can't win from the water that appears on the bottom of the fridge. Every time you open the lid, warm humid air comes in, to condense at the back and the floor of the cooler.

But you can prevent that your food, cartons or vegetables get wet feet. I use a plastic paint grid at the bottom, that's just high enough for some millimeters of water down there. Costs a euro in the construction market.

A second grid at the back side (were the cooling element sits), prevents vegetables from freezing at this sometimes icy wall.

Nevertheless, once a week we have to dry out the wet bottom with a cloth or with kitchen paper.

SAM_1424.JPG

An alternative: At the Ikea, the royal supplier of Cali knick-knacks, I saw an alternative: the small plastic Växer greenhouse has a removable bottom with fifty round holes. It fits nicely at the bottom of the fridge, keeping water at a distance of about 1,5 CM from your food. Price 9 euro.
https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/20318724/

Ikea_fridge_bottom.JPG

I haven't found a destination for the remaining parts yet. Maybe they could serve as a breeding tray for fresh herbs aboard the Cali.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Cheap sink/draining board grid works for me.
My vans as old as the last post, a five year post revival, is that a record?

2 Plastic grids cut to size for back and base, from a £ Shop. But I also have a Disposable Humidifier that goes in the fridge when there is room. Never had to dry out the fridge except after the annual clean.

Tip everything out every couple of days, wipe dry with tea towel, start all over again.

But I also have a Disposable Humidifier that goes in the fridge when there is room. Never had to dry out the fridge except after the annual clean.
@WG
Could you show the Disposible Humifier, I can’t find it on the web.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc
Ijm

Last edited:
We use a rack in the bottom and also to the back of the fridge but it won’t stop the wet/condensation, it just stops items getting wet or sticking to rear of fridge. We got ours at CamperCentrum and I believe they are a Brandrup accessory.

(I see there’s a link to the bottom rack above which is very similar to the rear rack)