sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

Odd fridge stuff going on.
Compressor is running. Heat exchanger plate inside the fridge is icing up.
I can adjust the amount of icing ( temp control) via the control panel and still the fridge space isn't cold. Thermometer on top of the butter says 17 degrees.

I've pulled apart all of the connectors and checked the Danfoss control unit connections.
All appears ok.

The fan next to the compressor is running ok.
Ambient temp is around 27 deg so this shouldn't be a problem.

The thermostat isn't switching off so the compressor runs continually but I guess this is something to do with the internal temp not coming down.

The only thing I can think of is the door seal is not working but the lid seems to shut ok?

V annoying.
Any thoughts?

S.

How cold is the bottom of the fridge?

Bottom is not cold at all.

I don't think the coolant is circulating.
The heat exchanger underneath next to the compressor is cold.
This should be warm ?

S.

I think so, then the fan extracts the heat through the fat bit of pipe through the floor pan.

dan

There was a rumour that the fridges don't work well on slopes. I think it's nonsense as our drive is quite sloped and the fridge runs fine on that. However, just in case you are parked up on a slope...

Also worth turning the fridge off and going for a drive, give the gas a bit of shake up, just in case there is an air lock or something? You can tell I'm not a refrigeration engineer, can't you?

I've just thought the same thing ( whilst slurping a Hoegarden at a measly 12 degrees )
The fridge has been fine but its been sat stationary for a week now!

Does the fan under the heat ex suck or blow? European opposing connections?
Surely not!

A nice late T4 Westy just turned up on site! When he goes for his shower I'll swap the fridges over.

S

While you're in there, make sure you grab his beer too, it will save you having to wait to cool yours down.

No idea if the fan sucks or blows... It's just a 12v DC computer fan. It'll be powered off the batteries, like everything else. I believe it's power supply comes from the fridge controller.

You do know that you'd have none of these problems if you drank proper warm British beer?

Update.

I didn't go for a drive but I did simulate one. I opened up the fridge control box and tapped the compressor pipe work.
Result. We now have correlation between the overhead control panel and the thermometer on top of the butter.

Back in the game.

Ps the fan blows down thru the vent so it sucks air across the heat ex.

S.

Glad you have cold beer without having to resort to vandalising a fellow Cali owner's ride.

I currently have a Keswick Brewery's Thirst Noel which has been nowhere near a fridge.