Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Lid support has come unscrewed.

Mags21

Mags21

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The screw that holds the support for the fridge lid has come out - on investigation it seems impossible to screw it back in as I can't get a screwdriver into the necessary position because of the side of the wardrobe. I assume the silver disc on the lid attaches to the little grey plastic bit underneath that I need to get the screw into?Can I remove the silver disc and will that release the grey piece does anyone know or does anyone have any other solutions?
Thanks.

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

Can you remove the lid and the strut from the lower end. Re-fix the top strut fixing then replace the whole assembly?

Failing that, use a screwdriver bit and a small spanner on the bit.

Thanks for the replies, and the link. Don't think I fancy removing the lid and looks like that's the only way to do it so I guess a trip to the dealers is in order. Thanks.

I had exactly the same problem. Took it to my local dealer in Toulon as it needs a very special shaped screwdriver to take the screws out of the fridge lid hinges, remove the lid, reattach the strut then screw the lid back into place. That's the only way to access this screw.
The dealer in France handed me the screwdrivers and told me to get on with it! Maybe poor dealer support is not just a UK thing..?
(I didn't mind as the alternative was to leave the van with him for a number of days..)

It happened to me and I removed the lid, its quite easy and does not require any special tools ..

Happened to me too, used a Allen key, easy peasy :)

Guess for some a allan key is a special tool....:D
Even IKEA got those!

Think it was either a 3mm for hinge and 2.5mm for the strut attachment to the wardrobe. Or a 2.5mm/ 2mm. Flat/ slotted screwdriver needed too ;)

In my defence...
It wasn't an allen bolt, a hex key or even a tamper resistant TORX plus - those I have tools for. Maybe I have a unique fridge-lid-hinge thingy. It was definitely something that I didn't have in my (relatively) well stocked toolbox (ooh-err missus).
Don't pretend you don't want to see a photo now. Don't be afraid of hinge-envy..

In my defence...
It wasn't an allen bolt, a hex key or even a tamper resistant TORX plus - those I have tools for. Maybe I have a unique fridge-lid-hinge thingy. It was definitely something that I didn't have in my (relatively) well stocked toolbox (ooh-err missus).
Don't pretend you don't want to see a photo now. Don't be afraid of hinge-envy..

Was just joking arround , it could be yours was already replaced with diffrent parts...
;)

The screw flew out of my fridge hinge this weekend (chuckling as I type that!), and for the sake of getting it mended proficiently have made an appointment back with the dealer. I spoke to the technician chappie who has said that it will be replaced with new replacement parts all under warrantee. This is now being recognised as a bit of a weak spot!

Hi,
I have the same problem and no longer under warranty. Just a question to those who have fixed it themselves by taking off the fridge lid. Did you unscrew the lid from the hinge or the hinge from the wall leaving it attached to the lid? Just back from a trip and too tired to try this tonight but will have a go tomorrow. Mine looks like an Allen key will be fine. Many thanks for any advice.

Hi,
I have the same problem and no longer under warranty. Just a question to those who have fixed it themselves by taking off the fridge lid. Did you unscrew the lid from the hinge or the hinge from the wall leaving it attached to the lid? Just back from a trip and too tired to try this tonight but will have a go tomorrow. Mine looks like an Allen key will be fine. Many thanks for any advice.
When i looked, it seemed easier to remove the hinges from
the back wall, easier to put back also.
I've had 2 struts fail so i don't have one anymore, i've left it off
and its no great hardship.

..and success. :thumb. I put a bit of masking tape at the back of the fridge, worried that a screw might drop down behind. Otherwise quite simple to do. Thanks again for the advice.

When i looked, it seemed easier to remove the hinges from
the back wall, easier to put back also.
I've had 2 struts fail so i don't have one anymore, i've left it off
and its no great hardship.
You still have the old lid with the strut IN the fridge?
I am still on my first strut for the fridge lid, but it's the new design, with the strut outside the fridge. Seems like a better solution.
I had to tighten the bolt on the lid too, and had to take the lid and strut off the fridge and wardrobe.
It has not come loose again after all those years later.