Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge question

Steve_bcs

Steve_bcs

Vehicle
Looking to buy
spent last night first time ever in a cali ( or any campervan for that matter) . Its a rental to see how we get on with it.

Electric hookup on and working ,Fridge was on level 4 all night but this morning milk was not cold. Wine bottles def not cold enough ! Turned it up to max for a couple of hours but not much change. How long does it take to get cold and am I correct in assuming max means coldest?

Yes, the higher the number, the colder. In theory. Sounds like a defect in the van you're in but see how it goes on max for a few hours first.

We only use levels 2 or 3 (depending on beer quantity).

Always good to let us know your verhicle details ( under your avatar ) usefull to give answers....
Is it a new Cali T6 or T5 or older T4?
Beach or SE/ocean , suppose not a beach as you would talk about a portable cooler instead of a fridge but one never knows.
Did you hear the fridge motor kicking in and turning ?
How did the inside in the fridge feel?
Was it extreme hot themp. outside ?
Did you close the lid propperly?

If it's a hire vehicle then I assume no earlier than 2013/2012.

Max is max and it can get down to freezing. It all depends on what the ambient temperature is. Normally it will cool down to 25 -35c below ambient temperature. However if it is warm it can take quite a long time to get down to that.

I am packing now to go to France tomorrow where I will be expecting temperatures to be in the 30c region, so I am getting my fridge to as cold as possible now.

I turned it from 2 to max last night and left it overnight packed with half a dozen water bottles that I had frozen earlier to help get the temperature down quickly. This really works to get a quick temperature drop.

I have just been packing now and the water bottles that were frozen last night are still frozen. I have now stuffed it with frozen food and took the precaution of taking a bottle of milk out of the fridge as I don't want it still frozen for when I get to Honfleur.

Thanks, everyone, sounds like there is a fault. Tbh I'm not surprised as the van is in a poor general condition with badly stained seats, broken bits of trim & scratches n scuffs here & there & outside the canvas is torn in seval places, only found that out this morning upon checking before closing the roof. Handover could have been better . Supplied crockery etc dirty . There should have been a bed topper but it was missing so hire co knocked £50 off so we could go and buy a duvet to lie our sleeping bags on. At least the aux heater works.

Fridge def closed properly. Its hard to open so presuming latched tightly shut. Been walking on Anglesey today. Got back to van just now and butter practically melted. Fridge compressor whirring away. Bought a bag of ice cubes to at leadt chill the wine!

Its a hire van on 14 plate in blackberry with dsg
Weather yestetday - cold and wet
Today about 17 c & sunny

On the plus side, I love the colour, dsg is great and the van drives really well.

I phoned hire company to let them know about the fridge and after a short time I got a call saying they would give me a full refund of my 3 day hire.

Hey ho. Back at site sat in evening sunshine with a glass of wine.,

Last edited:
Could be low battery charge?

Don't know. Could be i guess, but as its a rental not sure that could be fixed before i return it on monday :(

Very sad having bad experience in the rental , hope you can see thru it all and imagine what great oppertunities a Cali got!

I suggest that you just chill out :(

Our fridge operates in a similar way. I believe the controller monitors the outside temperature. If the outside temperature drops as it would over night to a low enough level it cuts out the fridge to conserve battery. I have discussed this with other members who have noticed the same. I discussed this with VW and they were as unhelpful as ever.

Okay so the fridge is faulty and you've got no bed topper but are you enjoying the Cali?

Okay so the fridge is faulty and you've got no bed topper but are you enjoying the Cali?

Sadley, we have realised that the space too cramped for us and the lack of wc & shower is an issue.
Queuing for the toilet & having someone almost walk in to my shower cubicle is enough to put me off a van with no onboard facilities. But still glad we tried it. We have looked at hightop 5.4 & 6m panel van conversions and will likely go that route.

The bag of ice we put in the fridge yesterday has melted and just our luck, it had a hole in it so now we have a very wet fridge .

Despite all this we are still smiling and are quite chilled about the experience.

Off for walkies again now .

Better to know after renting than buying.

Camp site facilities can be quiet varied, we've never queued for toilets or had some try to share a shower.