Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Settings and Temperatures

willwander

willwander

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Playing with my new Bluetooth thermometer. Doing some tests on fridge.

TLDR
- Use Level 5...or 6
- It colder at the back and bottom
- Max, between -2.8 and -0.5 degrees
- Level 6, between 5.0 and 6.7 degrees
- Level 5, between 7.9 and 9.2 degrees
- Level 4, between 5.9 and 9.9 degrees
- level 3, between 8.6 and 11.9 degrees
- level 2, between 9.5 and 13 degrees
- level 2, between 12 and 15 degrees

Test Conditions
- 2019 Ocean
- Empty fridge
- measured half way up wardrobe side fridge wall
- temperature logged every 60 seconds

Setting - MAX
Reach Temperature
It took 55 minutes of constant cooling to drop from 15 degrees (ambient) to min temperature of -2.8 degrees
835D47B7-89E2-44B6-B0BF-96686A19B733.jpeg

Maintain Temperature
Temperature rose from -2.8 degrees to -0.5 degrees. Before dropping again to -2.8 degrees. 20 mins of temp rising, followed by 20 mins of cooling. These 20 minute cycles were maintained over the rest of the test period. (1 full day)
C419A76D-CA1D-403E-9D56-1A5C1F92BE5E.jpeg
Here is a full graph so you get the full picture.
B6DEBD1C-0CB3-4D26-878B-6799546E6599.jpeg

Level 6
Reach
approx 55 mins to reach 4.9 degrees
Maintain
Between 6.7 and 5.0 degrees, 20 minute cycles.
4EB76AF9-E895-4E43-8D35-06BB799F3331.jpeg
Level 5
Reach
approx 55 mins to reach 7.9 degrees
Maintain
Between 7.9 and 9.2 degrees, 20 minute cycles.
6A9EF224-F3E1-4BD2-9B69-1C9D66FEDB16.jpeg

Level 4
Reach

approx 55 mins to reach 5.5 degrees
Maintain
Between 5.9 and 9.8 degrees, 20 minute cycles.

67597A08-ED6F-4C8A-B131-12CAE8A12EA5.jpeg
Level 3
Reach

approx 55 mins to reach 8.6 degrees
Maintain
Between 8.6 and 11.9 degrees, 20 minute cycles.
21EFE505-4204-4B96-A019-CAB12446652F.jpeg
You can see the effect of warmer ambient temp,
it was quite warm outside to start with.

Level 2
Reach

approx 55 mins to reach 8.2 degrees
Maintain
Between 9.5 and 13 degrees, 20 minute cycles.
7B7536AD-C29F-4A66-96D0-118F1D26643C.jpeg

Level 1
Reach

approx 50 mins to reach 12 degrees
Maintain
Between 12 and 15 degrees, 20 minute cycles.
3983796D-7DE2-4A87-A169-5A09BF3CFDBC.jpeg
Warm up
Fridge turned off, it warms back up pretty quick. -2 degrees to 21 degrees in 4 hours.

8C4CFD27-E5EF-4A7F-B8F5-0C4414A346BB.jpeg
If I can be bothered, I'll log some other fridge setting.
If I do I will add them here.

Last edited:
Added warm up graph. Once turned off, fridge warms back up pretty quick.

Yep, fridge empty, lid closed.
With no basis other than guessing, I would have expected longer to heat if closed so it’s good to know. I’m assuming it was fairly warm outside - around the 20 degrees that it got to +/- van insulating.

Would love to know which bluetooth thermometer you used. Might do a similair test myself.

With no basis other than guessing, I would have expected longer to heat if closed so it’s good to know. I’m assuming it was fairly warm outside - around the 20 degrees that it got to +/- van insulating.
Yep, me too. It was about 22 degrees outside. It would probably stay cool longer if it was full of cold stuff.

@willwander yup, now you've done it and made me order one. ;-) Looking forward to this little fridge-temp-measurement-project.

Added level 3
between 9-12 degrees

According to food standards agency, ideal fridge temp should be between 3 and 5 degrees.

Freezer should be -18 degrees

Last edited:
Added Level 6
Between 6.7 and 5.2 degrees
It did vary by about 2 degree, it was hot outside yesterday.

Seems you need to use at least level 6 for it to be anywhere near a proper 'fridge', any thing below level 6 is just a 'cool box'

Very interesting information once again. I often feel as though the 'max' setting is needed to properly get the fridge cold and then when it is, I set it to at least 4, so the fridge will stay cold. My thermometer will arive today and I will do my own experiment soon. Will let you know how it goes. Does anyone know id there is any significat difference between the T5.1 fridge an dthe T6 fridge? (I expect not much difference)

Would definitely be interesting to show ambient temp alongside. I’m fairly sure mine is usually working well around level 5 (but ambient temps lower)... May need a 2nd thermometer to show both lines and then repeat the experiment in the winter...;)

Great info here. Question from me is would it make any difference if the fridge was loaded ?

I'm not an expert but wondered if items in the fridge would help to keep the temps lower for longer ??

No expert either. Did some reading and believe a full fridge would at least take more energy to keep cool. A second thermometer measuring the ambient temperature simultaneously would be interesting. Can't be bothered to buy a second thermometer for it though. As I'm mostly just wanting to know what setting is needed to keep the food safe.

The fridge on my T5/SE has a temperature setting in degrees rather than an arbitrary "number" which seems more friendly. I might experiment to see how accurate that is. Don't have a data logger but I can stick a probe in and watch it occasionally :)

Where you put things in the fridge makes quite a difference.
Coldest spot is far corner, back wall at the bottom.

At least a couple of degrees warmer towards the top and in the basket.
There's even something in the manual which mentions this.

As I write. Full fridge with 1 bottle of Gin, 1 case of Schweppes Tonic. 3x2 L milk bottles and 6 x 330 ml Peroni. Level 5, internal temperature probe at central point. Internal van temperature 28c, outside 25c and Digital temperature varies between - 1.8c and +2.1c.

As I write. Full fridge with 1 bottle of Gin, 1 case of Schweppes Tonic. 3x2 L milk bottles and 6 x 330 ml Peroni. Level 5, internal temperature probe at central point. Internal van temperature 28c, outside 25c and Digital temperature varies between - 1.8c and +2.1c.

Think I need to re-create your test environment...minus the milk ;)

Think I need to re-create your test environment...minus the milk ;)
The milk is gradually replaced by Peroni until the next Supermarket delivery and then we start again. ;)

Restarted the experiment with a full fridge, unfortunately Mrs WillWander has already raided it for gin, completely ruining my experiment :rage So I will have to start it again.

Where are you guys measuring the temp, find there is a fair difference from the bottom of the fridge at the back vs. in the basket.

I’d also assumed 1-6 were thermostatically controlled and max was just the compressor on all the time, interesting that willwanders data shows it still cycles on/off even set on max, so kind of implies you might be able to get the fridge cooler by adjusting the thermostat.

Back