From Barcelona to Calais, which way up? Left or right

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

We are Very VERY excited, finally booked our first ever ferry to Satander for 2020, and then driving to Barcelona, but then deciding which way to drive back up to Calais, left of right?

We defo want to visit disneyland Paris pre Calais (our kids blackmail tool), "be good or we are not going!!" ;)

My wife wants to go left up via coast but I'm thinking go up right next to mountains? Any words of wisdom? Maybe even centre route.

We have approx 2 weeks time put to side after we leave Barcelona!

Any hints really gratefully received!!!! :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb

Dear Cali Gurus,

We are Very VERY excited, finally booked our first ever ferry to Satander for 2020, and then driving to Barcelona, but then deciding which way to drive back up to Calais, left of right?

We defo want to visit disneyland Paris pre Calais (our kids blackmail tool), "be good or we are not going!!" ;)

My wife wants to go left up via coast but I'm thinking go up right next to mountains? Any words of wisdom? Maybe even centre route.

I’d go straight up the middle. Some cracking scenery and sites if you go via Clemont or Lyon - the areas south of these two cities are cracking.

Dear Cali Gurus,

Personally, up the middle avoiding the tourist areas of the coastal regions using Municipal Campsites .

Instead or Euro Disney, Europa Park near Rust (just south of Strasbourg) is a great day or two out. You would need a bit of a deviation to get there, but you can camp there.

Last edited:
Instead or Euro Disney, Europa Park near Rust (just south of Strasbourg) is a great day or two out. You would need a bit of a deviation to get there, but you can camp there.
Yes, That Europa park looks absolutely amazing and some great reviews!!

We didn’t camp at Europa Park, we stayed at Camping Park Oase in nearby Ettenheim. It was nice and clean, quiet at night and was reasonably priced. Ettenheim was a lovely little town with nice restaurants and a cracking bread shop to buy Pretzels.

We have done both routes several times and can highly recommend the A75 towards Milau, then A71 towards Orleans. It is a very picturesque route and cheaper tolls. See the about france website for more info.

Oooh, thanks, some great hints there, really appreciated!!

Agree with the views here. The west is not a scenic route and is not by the sea - a lot of ‘one tree looks like another’ pine forest and mostly flat landscape. Save the western route for when you have time to stop off. Île de Ré for example is worth a stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I honestly didn't think people would have said the middle, defo thought mountains or sea. Thank you so much!!!

Thank you, I honestly didn't think people would have said the middle, defo thought mountains or sea. Thank you so much!!!
As you can see from the map I posted above, the middle route is more mountainous, especially the southern half. On the other hand, If you have more time, Barcelona/Manresa/Puigcerda/Puymorens tunnel/Toulouse is the most beautiful route, straight through the Pyrenees.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 10.54.17 PM.png

As you can see from the map I posted above, the middle route is more mountainous, especially the southern half. On the other hand, If you have more time, Barcelona/Manresa/Puigcerda/Puymorens tunnel/Toulouse is the most beautiful route, straight through the Pyrenees.

View attachment 52453
Thank you so much, very kind of you!!!, we have two weeks booked so plenty of time to enjoy the trip so may be able to see some of them places. VERY EXCITED!

Thank you so much, very kind of you!!!, we have two weeks booked so plenty of time to enjoy the trip so may be able to see some of them places. VERY EXCITED!
If you have the time, skip the Puymorens tunnel and go over Puymorens pass, better view and save the tunnel toll. If you like to hike, Andorra is spectacular. Just be aware that unfortunately the towns are not pretty.

I'd recommend going up through the Ardeche Gorge and on to Toulouse; then on to the Dordogne (touristy, but spectacular); then through the Loire Valley (see all the castles) and on to Dinard, Mont St. Michel, Normandy.

I'd recommend going up through the Ardeche Gorge and on to Toulouse; then on to the Dordogne (touristy, but spectacular); then through the Loire Valley (see all the castles) and on to Dinard, Mont St. Michel, Normandy.
Oooh, sounds lovely, thank you again!!

Agree with the views here. The west is not a scenic route and is not by the sea - a lot of ‘one tree looks like another’ pine forest and mostly flat landscape. Save the western route for when you have time to stop off. Île de Ré for example is worth a stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not done it personally, but you could skim into italy and through mountain tunnels into Switzerland without much more miles added....just a thought.....

the middle route
I am French and always use this road, Toulouse, Limoges, Vierzon. Through Clermont I find too many mountain, so much fuel to go, on the left the more expensive motorway close to Bordeaux.

Motorway is free between Brives (more or less) and Vierzon... quite à long way !

Defo up the middle. When we leave Salou we go via the Vielha tunnel on the N230 and its free, we only really use the toll around Toulouse and then back to the A roads. Traffic around Toulouse can be manic at peak times. Great campsites at Les Catalonia on the river Garonne.

Dear Cali Gurus,

How about going up via the Vosges, Route des crete, Gerardmer a beautiful part of France

I am French and always use this road, Toulouse, Limoges, Vierzon. Through Clermont I find too many mountain, so much fuel to go, on the left the more expensive motorway close to Bordeaux.

Motorway is free between Brives (more or less) and Vierzon... quite à long way !
Well thank you very much :)

This was the second day of our trip London to Blanes.

France to Spain.jpg

This was the first day of our trip Blanes to London.

Spain to France.jpg

Outward we drove around the east side of Paris, on the return the exciting tunnel on the west side of Paris.

Outward the journey took 26 hours, leaving London at 3.30pm and arriving the following day at 5.15pm, and included an overnight stop in a motorway aire.

Return the journey took 36 hours, leaving Blanes at 11.40am and arriving home two days later at 2 minutes past midnight. The slower return journey was due in part to a meandering trip over tiny Pyrenean roads, and an extended dinner in Boulogne before a gentle drive along the coast road to Calais. Again we stopped overnight in a motorway aire.

Note also that we live just an hour's drive from the Eurotunnel's Folkestone terminal.

Back