Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From Defender to California: a Natural Progression?

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
After two years of lurking here I have noticed that a lot of California owners drove a LR Defender in the past. I'm one of them, and I wonder if there is a natural logic to the switch from one iconic car to another.

collage.jpg
Past and present sunsets: Deffie the Defender and Betsy the Beach.

Over my lifetime I've owned five Defenders (or their predecessors). Te last two of them were true adventure vehicles, taking us to the Sahara desert seven times over a period of ten years, where we spent weeks on end in the sands of Mauritania, and countries that are now off-limits such as Mali and Libya. Now, fifteen years later (and older), the travel bug has bitten us again, and since two years we're cruising Europe in our Beach. The feeling is the same: we're still driving a wonderful boxy car, the latest incarnation of a legendary vehicle, and (a bit of snobbery is allowed) a camper that's not everybody's toy. We don't miss our Defender anymore; our Cali gives us as much fun and we see it as a natural next step in our wandering life.

And you? How do you experience your transit from a Defender to a California?

I hate to generalise but many of those who drive a defender do so because they are of a mindset that wishes to escape from the bland and ordinary. I drove one because whenever I could I spent my life in the mountains living anything but a conventional lifestyle.

From my own perspective that is also the same mindset that causes me to say "give me a camper, preferably a 4WD camper, rather than a motorhome, caravan or hotel room".

I lost count of the number of times I saw Type 2 veedubs in the same off-road locations as our landy when in Central America. Yes, we went up the occasional volcano, but I knew a vw was in our future when I saw them fording the same rivers, bouncing along the same tracks, with all of their (relative) luxuries and comforts!

For the next truly wild trip we'll rent motorbikes and throw tents on the back. Until then it's beaches, urban adventures and large glasses of ice cold white courtesy of the T6. :)

They're both fantastic vehicles, and I'd agree that there's a commonality between owners.

Its an interesting subject! I've had countless VW campers over the years, and always loved them because of the sense of freedom, and, as Granny Jen pointed out, they are DIFFERENT from the norm, and I like to be different!

When I ordered the Cali it was after much debate as I have always, always, wanted a Defender. Again, because they are different, offer a sense of adventure, of freedom. I love them, and spend ages gawping at ones I see!

In the end the Cali won simply because it ticks far more of the boxes for what we want.

But for me, the Cali and the Defender are the two most awesome vehicles you can have. Fact. :thumb

But for me, the Cali and the Defender are the two most awesome vehicles you can have. Fact. :thumb

Will second that!
I've had two Defenders in the past, a 90 and later a 110 double-cab. Both carried along a roof-top tent.
Absolutely loved both vehicles and they weren't for show, lots of off-road, green-laning trips and holidays/weekends away sleeping atop!
I miss those days, but in all honesty found it was getting harder and harder to enjoy green-laning with more and more righteous folks blocking routes and seeing us as the enemy - sort of lost its pleasure after a while...
But I've even then always had a soft spot for the Cali - more so in the early T1/2 guises, but eventually we've settled on the T4 variant simply for an easy life (as nice as the old vans are, we simply don't have the time/place to keep them running - the T4 however seems bullet-proof and a great 'load up and go' vehicle - a future classic (if it isn't already!).
Love though the pop-top Defender at the beginning of this post - have seen variations of this in the past and often dreamed of such a setup - But now we're Cali fans and I think it will stay that way ;):D

(My old 90, somewhere in North Yorkshire around 12 years ago...)

45.JPG

We've had two CSW's in the past a 90 and 110 but won't be trading in the Cali to go back there either. It was the leaks when it rained in the passenger footwells that did it for us in the end, much prefer being warm and dry inside our Cali.

At least VW haven't got an official " Water Ingress Manual " covering all the possible water leaks and their fixes as Landrover did on the S1 - 3, 90/110, Defender.

I didn't realise such a document existed, great vehicles but ....... interesting build quality.

We also had the Discovery that when it rained used to give the children their second shower of the day just before school drop-off. Our solution for that one was to carry a towel on the backseat, something LR never mentioned as a requirement of ownership.

Interesting that both Landrovers and Calis are made of aluminium and steel and both suffer from the dreaded metal attack. A bit of history repeating itself maybe.

Interesting that both Landrovers and Calis are made of aluminium and steel and both suffer from the dreaded metal attack. A bit of history repeating itself maybe.
The Defender and its predecessors since 1947 have always suffered from it. Hasn't stopped over 70% of all of them ever made still running and in use around the world.

Another Ex Defender owner. Below is the only vehicle I have ever regretted selling. Right from the moment it drove up the lane. Also had a 110 TDCi CSW which was a nice vehicle too.

DSC_3757.JPG

LR are probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever had the misfortune of travelling in.
Truly awful...!!!

LR are probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever had the misfortune of travelling in.
Truly awful...!!!

In all fairness, they weren't built to be comfortable...

The issue with these vehicles is that they make you believe they will actually go anywhere - even to the point of trying to drive one down a hill that wasn't even possible to walk, nay crawl down! Ahem... 2 months later, a few replacement (bolt off/on) body panels and a paintjob - it was back on the road good as knew - I don't know many other vehicles that could survive a full 360degree forward roll and live on to tell the tale...
...and yes, to this day I think its still battling round the country lanes in France - Landrovers don't die easily ;)
What they lack in comfort, they make up for in the fun factor! :D

I hate to generalise but many of those who drive a defender do so because they are of a mindset that wishes to escape from the bland and ordinary. I drove one because whenever I could I spent my life in the mountains living anything but a conventional lifestyle.

From my own perspective that is also the same mindset that causes me to say "give me a camper, preferably a 4WD camper, rather than a motorhome, caravan or hotel room".

Yes, it is the:

" I am the rugged and understated explorer on safari in jungle, or tending to my farm type. As opposed to 4 eyed accountant daring to wander a few hundred yards/miles having stocked up for every eventuality."

So the Defender stated the opposite of what a Range Rover did. Which did, and still smacks, of bling nouveau riche.

Interestingly, the same rugged image is portrayed in the US by those who chose the Hummer or Mercedes G wagon over conventional comfortable SUVs.

But Defender evokes more. Something British that others couldn't understand or acquire. It's an image foremost.

Interesting that an ex SAS officer told me it is based on the 2nd world war American Jeep!

I have always liked them but could never justify going buying one.

I have had a few Range Rovers. In fact I was the one that on a LR magazine took a brand new RR2 out on test and after banging it was photographed ruefully staring at a bent NSF wing and muttering "never mind, it's only recycled beer vans...."

I've still got my ex-environment agency Defender....it's great for just chucking windsurfing gear or bikes in (or dogs when we had them) and not needing to worry about mud, sand, salt water etc. Wouldn't want to drive long distances in it tho! Previous one was an ex-army 110.....now that was primitive. ON the other hand, beingnstill in its army livery, I never got a parking ticket

Truly awful...!!!
Disagree. I've been driving them since 1983 and my bad back never suffered in a Defender, not even after a 12-hour drive on rotten tracks in Africa. Only the noise is uncomfortable.

Regret selling our TD5 90XS.

Have permission to buy an vehicle and have been looking for the last few weeks. Looking for a Disco 3 V8 or an RR Sport (4.4). Ideally the Disco as I want it more for off road action. (There is a black one floating around but looking for silver so that the scratches will not show!)

The GSA may have to go.

Back