Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

[From Mrs Borris] BBC Radio 4 'More or Less' - putting some of the Coronavirus figures into perspective.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This statistical programme this morning has been interesting on this subject. Up until now like has not been compared with like. Also a neighbour of ours, who works on tunnels in London, with a very widespread colleague spectrum, reckons that two of his workmates, one from Madrid, had this horrid virus back in January and both had to have time off work, when normally were extremely fit. This would imply that it has been circulating for much longer than suspected.

My eldest is as certain as it is possible to be that he had it on the 22nd December and his partner earlier.

This was full on Covid 19 symptoms to the extent his partner nearly called an ambulance and was in daily contact with us.

He lives in London and we were due to be with him over the Christmas period and for him to be with us in Devon for New Year.

He lives in a small flat in London and we were telling his partner to get him in the car and recuperate here. Luckily he didn’t. He waited 10 days, got driven here and spent a week recuperating.

He is as tough as old boots and we are now pretty sure it was Covid 19.

His partner was ill but with milder symptoms just before him. She works in a private London school with a high percentage of foreign students including Chinese.

Without an antibody test he cannot know for certain so is self isolating and working from home. As it happens on modelling the spread of Covid 19.

Mike

Last edited:
That is weird as my eldest son - 32 - had the symptoms early Jan as we didn't meet for his birthday we never saw him but he had high temp, cough, aches and pains etc. He hasn't had a cold for a couple of years, is incredibly fit and cannot remember last time he was ill - we were shocked and said go to doctors but he recouped at home having a week off work but took ages to get back to normal - who knows!

We believe we all had it in our household end of Jan. two nights up with a 4 year old with uncontrollable coughing. No other symptoms other than cough and over-tired.
Week later, I suffer and towards the end of the week my wife.
We all still attend work and nursery...
My wife works in London 3 days a week...:oops:

lots of weird stuff has been around, I had a flu like think in early Jan (I think) where I suddenly started shivering and spent a few days in bed. Felt pants for weeks afterwards.

Feb last year I actually had whooping cough.....................I'm normally very fit and shake colds off v quickly if ever I get on bu this knocked me for a 6.......it appears quite few over 60's are now getting it as the vaccine we had when small is no longer effective. A week off work coughing and shattered. Took 3 months to shake cough in the end so if this virus gets me I have no idea how I'll respond..............

What's to say the above examples in Dec and Jan weren't just 'ordinary' flue? The profiles sound young enough and healthy enough NOT to have had the seasonal flu vaccine, so catching flu, having those symptoms, wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. Flu is still circulating, it's not been scared off by Covid.

True - could well be but some symptoms are not quite the same as seasonal flu from what I've been told but then again that changes and mutates. My wife was saying as a nurse she get the flu jab yearly but always it seems after the elderly.........................she hopes if and when a CV vaccine arrives that perhaps she and her colleagues might get it first before all the elderly queue up at their doctors the minute it's available...............:rolleyes:

I have not had flu since 1984, and don't really mind if I don't have it ever again. Dreadful. Don't ever want it again.

I can't remember the last cold that I had, well over a year ago and very mild.

Md-february, out of nowhere, a dry cough. The only thing I remember about it is not being able to stop, or resist coughing, and feeling totally knackered. It lasted 5 days then went as quickly as it came and was associated with no other symptoms whatsoever, temperature normal.

Unlike most people I am aware of my Resting Heart rate and BP. I monitor it almost daily. My BP remained unchanged but my HR sped up, from 55 to 75 and stayed there for about three weeks. No symptoms, nothing, but an indication my heart was having to work harder to keep the same amount of oxygen flowing around the system. It's now back to 53-55 RHR.

I will be having a Covid test in a few weeks time. I will be very interested in the results,

Unlike most people I am aware of my Resting Heart rate and BP. I monitor it almost daily. My BP remained unchanged but my HR sped up, from 55 to 75 and stayed there for about three weeks. No symptoms, nothing, but an indication my heart was having to work harder to keep the same amount of oxygen flowing around the system. It's now back to 53-55 RHR
Interesting as my resting HR is 50 normally and even when I had been running it never went much about 90. Even now climbing hills quickly it doesn't get much above 90 but very quickly drops but when I had whooping cough it sat in high 70's for about 4 weeks - oddly my BP remained the same 110/70 - the human body is a weird thing!

I have not had flu since 1984, and don't really mind if I don't have it ever again. Dreadful. Don't ever want it again.

I can't remember the last cold that I had, well over a year ago and very mild.

Md-february, out of nowhere, a dry cough. The only thing I remember about it is not being able to stop, or resist coughing, and feeling totally knackered. It lasted 5 days then went as quickly as it came and was associated with no other symptoms whatsoever, temperature normal.

Unlike most people I am aware of my Resting Heart rate and BP. I monitor it almost daily. My BP remained unchanged but my HR sped up, from 55 to 75 and stayed there for about three weeks. No symptoms, nothing, but an indication my heart was having to work harder to keep the same amount of oxygen flowing around the system. It's now back to 53-55 RHR.

I will be having a Covid test in a few weeks time. I will be very interested in the results,

A US doctor was interviewed on R4 PM saying that lots of CV patients were measured to have v low oxygen saturation (below 85%) but felt OK - no breathlessness. This might explain your raised HR.

A US doctor was interviewed on R4 PM saying that lots of CV patients were measured to have v low oxygen saturation (below 85%) but felt OK - no breathlessness. This might explain your raised HR.

An interesting observation. I ran the Vitality London 1/2 marathon in that period, my slowest half ever which I blamed on weather and with a lot of hanging around at the start but my calculated Vo2Max was also quite low.

It could be due to a number of factors of course, but normally spikes in my RHR last only a few days and can often be explained away by eating too many Fishermans friends!

Interesting as my resting HR is 50 normally and even when I had been running it never went much about 90. Even now climbing hills quickly it doesn't get much above 90 but very quickly drops but when I had whooping cough it sat in high 70's for about 4 weeks - oddly my BP remained the same 110/70 - the human body is a weird thing!

Interesting again. Respiratory diseases seem to affect the lungs long after the condition itself clears up.

I sneezed yesterday morning

Nothing is certain in medicine, we have no idea how the brain works, how many pain killers work and many other mysteries

This might explain your raised HR.

I'm 95% sure I had it back at the beginning of Jan. Came and went in 7 days. Apart from getting older, I don't seem to have any lasting effects. Flu was a lot worse for me so I summed Jan's episode as a lightweight 36hr PITA flu with a 5day non-related dry cough. I assumed I picked the cough up on the plane and was unrelated as there was a small window between flu-like symptoms and coughing. Didn't connect the two at the time.

I started Park running again at the end of 7days, but gingerly as I still had a "tickle" and felt that I would break out coughing if I pushed it too hard.

However, throughout the coughing, I felt 100% , went to work, although the coughing annoyed the others so I had one afternoon away from the office working from home on the Wednesday. Wednesday night I had the continuous coughing fit. Just non stop for maybe a minute or two.

The interesting part is apart from my Wife no one else, that I'm aware of caught this "flu-like" virus. My sister is high risk due to immune suppressant for a kidney transplant.

Back